This is an update to these previous blogs:
- Olympus Firmware Upgrades for Cameras OM-D E-M1 (Version 4.0) and OM-D E-M5 Mark II (Version 2.0) + M.ZUIKO® PRO and PREMIUM Lenses’ Firmware Updates + Advanced Olympus Capture Version 1.1 Update: Availability in USA is Late November 2015; New Version 2.6 Update for OI.Share App is Available Now,
- Olympus Explains the Focus Bracketing Feature Included in the Upcoming Version 4.0 Firmware Upgrade for OM-D E-M1 Camera, and
- Olympus Explains the Improvements That Speed Up the Photo Transfer Process for Olympus Capture Tethering Software Ver. 1.1 + OM-D E-M1 Firmware Ver. 4.0 + OM-D E-M5 Mark II Firmware Ver. 2.0: All Upgrades to Be Released on November 26, 2015.
The OM-D E-M1 Ver. 4.0 and OM-D E-M5 Mark II Ver. 2.0 firmware upgrades, as well as Olympus Capture Ver. 1.1 are now available for download. With the firmware upgrades, you will be able to utilize Focus Bracketing to enhance as well as enjoy better macro photography experience.
- The Focus Bracketing Mode function captures up to 999 shots with the focus position for each shot being changed, allowing you to use photo retouching software to merge the images with larger depth of field that cannot be achieved in focus stacking mode (8 shots).
- Focus Stacking (OM-D E-M1 only) relies on the sophisticated in-camera composite capabilities of the TruePic VII Image Processor to merge the in-focus area of eight images into one single photo.
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Version 4.0 feature upgrade is available at http://www.getolympus.com/upgrade .
- Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Version 2.0 feature upgrade is available at http://www.getolympus.com/upgrade .
To download Olympus Capture software Ver. 1.1, please visit the global Olympus Capture website at http://app.olympus-imaging.com/olympuscapture/ .
For more info about Focus Bracketing in insect photography, please visit http://cameras.olympus.com/stack/ .
Macro shooting is where Focus Stacking Mode and Focus Bracketing Mode really shine. However, I also discovered that these features can be used to capture images keeping both background and foreground in focus. Use OM-D E-M1 Ver. 4.0 with Focus Stacking Mode and Focus Bracketing Mode, choose a subject, and you may discover creative photos that you’ve never imagined before.
The following silent video presents Focus Stacking by E-M10 MarkII Lucanus maculifemoratus:
- Lucanus maculifemoratus (Miyama Stag Beetle, Deep Mountain Stag Beetle): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucanus_maculifemoratus
- Professional photographer, Kazuo Unno, used Focus Stacking in insect photography.
You can buy the above Olympus cameras at B&H: