Nikkon has run their prestigious juried international photo contest every year since 1969 and this year is their 51st. To date, a total of more than 440,000 entrants have submitted more than 1.71 million entries to the contest, helping to give it a rich international character.
Amateurs and professionals from around the world are welcomed to enter their best stills or short videos. The special category, Next Generation, is for creators who are under 25. You do not need to shoot on a Nikon camera to win.
Christmas came early today for the owners of the Fujifilm X-T3. Already an excellent APS-C mirrorless camera in its own right, it is now even better with Firmware Update Ver 4.00 which brings its AF performance on par with that of the X-T4.
The firmware update Ver.4.00 from Ver.3.30 incorporates the following issues:
Regarding the detail of the improvements, download the “X-T3 New Features Guide” from our website.
The update will improve the autofocusing performance of the X-T3 to the same level as the “FUJIFILM X-T4”(X-T4).
1) The fastest AF speed has been improved from 0.06 seconds to 0.02 seconds, equivalent to the performance of the X-T4.
2) The algorithm for predicting subject movements has been updated.
3) AF tracking performance has been doubled*. Press the shutter button halfway down when a subject is in the focus area to maintain focus on the subject with a higher level of accuracy.
4) The Face Tracking / Eye AF performance has been upgraded. The algorithm has been re-written to double* the tracking performance of the Eye AF in continuous shooting modes.
5) The update allows the camera AF to work in low light levels down to -7EV**, facilitating fast and highly-accurate phase detection AF even in near darkness.
6) The new firmware adds the “Focus Limiter” function which gives a pre-define specific focus range.
* When compared with the Firmware Ver.3.30.
** When using the FUJINON Lens XF50mmF1.0 R WR.
1) The size of the Single AF point can be adjusted during video recording.
2) Photo ratings can be read by third-party software, allowing users to find their favorite pictures quickly.
3) The focus point can be changed by the focus lever during AE lock.
4) The default setting of the AF-S PRIORITY SELECTION in the RELEASE/FOCUS PRIORITY of the SHOOTING menu is changed to FOCUS from RELEASE.
– New entry model compatible with popular square format film
– Simple operation for fun photo-shooting experience
– Square format film “RAINBOW” and “MONOCHROME” is also released
Tokyo, October 28, 2020 — FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is pleased to announce the launch of “instax SQUARE SQ1” (SQ1) on November 6, 2020 in Japan. It will be a new addition to the instax series of instant cameras compatible with square format film, allowing users to enjoy on-the-spot photo printing. SQ1 is an entry model that sought simple design and operability, and delivers a fun square format instax print experience to a broad range of users.
Also accompanying the launch of SQ1 are two square format film. “RAINBOW,” which features various gradations around its frame in different color for each print, and “MONOCHROME,” a monochrome print which users can enjoy artistic photographic expressions. Square format film “RAINBOW” and “MONOCHROME” will be available on November 6, 2020 in Japan.
After keeping everyone in suspense, and apparently mulling over it seriously for a long time, Pentax has finally decided to name its new APS-C flagship DSLR… the K3 Mark III — the successor of, wait for it, the K3 Mark II. Pentax says that it firmly believes in the future of DSLRs, and while there are many photographers who are still currently using DSLRs, we cannot help but wonder if this will continue to be the case in a few years. Unwilling or unable to embrace ground-breaking mirrorless technology, Pentax seems to have settled for the collector’s game, putting out ever so slightly improved DSLRs every couple of years, and issuing limited edition of silver models.
As to their claim of reaching ISO 1.6M in the K3 Mark III, we’ll have to wait until February 2021 when the camera is officially launched to see what that high sensitivity claim really amounts to. We find this a bit hard to believe or take at face value, and since Pentax does not make a bit deal about it, we can only surmise it may be a feature where a number of long exposure photos are stacked together in-camera to mathematically yield that high ISO number. According to the video, we can expect the price of the K3 Mark III to be in the US $2500 – $3000 range.
Oct 27, 2020
Progress report on PENTAX’s new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship camera: officially named PENTAX K-3 Mark III
RICOH COMPANY, LTD. and RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. have been developing a new PENTAX K-series digital SLR camera, which will be positioned as the flagship model of the APS-C-format SLR lineup.
Currently in development, the new camera now has its official name: the PENTAX K-3 Mark III.
Designed to be a camera embodying The Five Principles of PENTAX, it will incorporate an array of functions and features to highlight the significance of SLR photography, and to optimize the joy taking pictures for everyone with a passion for photography.
The product prototype was exhibited last year during the PENTAX 100th Year Anniversary event. At the event, we announced that it would be launched by the end of 2020 — and it is now in the final stage of development. Once the development is complete, we will streamline the camera’s production system. It has taken a bit longer than expected, so we appreciate your patience and wish to share already an overview of the product, as per the specifications below.
We’ll provide you with more product information, such as the scheduled market launch date, as soon as the information is confirmed. Finally, we invite you to visit our RICOH IMAGING website for more information on the new PENTAX APS-C-format digital SLR flagship, and to get ready for the arrival of this new camera, which we expect to set a new standard for the future of SLR photography.
Overview of the new product in development:
Product name: PENTAX K-3 Mark III
Launch date: scheduled around the period of the CP+ camera exhibition, which will be held from February 25 to 28 in 2021.
Price: Not decided
The five principles of PENTAX:
We design new cameras through sheer devotion.
Our goal is to produce cameras with the power to capture images that allow for direct communication with the subject.
We design cameras that allow our users to enjoy all the processes involved in taking a picture.
We pursue a level of quality and performance that can’t be measured by numbers alone.
We respect and value the photographic experiences of our users and view this as an invaluable asset.
The designs and specifications are identical to those first announced publicly about the camera’s development, and are subject to change without notice. (more…)