- Leica Camera teamed up with the Miami Street Photography Festival to help bring back photography into Art Basel Miami.
- Art Basel Miami was held in December 2013.
Miami Street Photography Festival (MSPF)
in Partnership With Leica
December 4-7, 2014
Most Events FREE and Open to the Public
MSPF Main Exhibit
Kike San Martin Studios
Wynwood Arts District
2045 NW 1st Ave
Miami, FL 33127
Dec. 4, 5, and 6, from 10:00am- to 11:00pm
Dec. 7, from 12:00pm to 5:00pm
Miami Street Photography Festival (MSPF©) celebrates street culture throughout the world via “images portraying everything from the ugly, gritty side of life to more humorous situations, they are moments that unless captured, might otherwise go unnoticed.”
- Any location within the public realm worldwide is acceptable: indoors and outdoors (i.e. streets, beach, train, park, restaurants, dirt road, etc.)
The MSPF© is an international photography festival showcasing the best of contemporary Street Photography viewed through the eyes of emerging photographers in this genre. The goal of the Festival is to establish a global platform for learning through exhibitions, workshops, lectures and other events.
This Festival is a collaborative effort to advance the work of photographers who pay attention to everyday life in order to capture the world around us.
Street photographers use their keen sense of observation to capture compelling candid moments in the everyday life of strangers, whether it be a gesture, facial expression, action or scene. Their method is often likened to a mirror held up to society….it reflects reality. There is no set-up involved, no manipulation of the scene and very little or no post-processing of the image. This realism has provided an accurate and insightful record of street culture throughout the world….
At the heart of street photography is the ‘decisive moment’. This is the split second when an image becomes complete in its composition – when each element of the image is in balance, in context and essential to the scene. This is when the shutter is released and the moment is captured forever.
Leica at the Miami Street Photography Festival 2014
- During the festival Leica will be running an Instagram contest.
- Share your best image that embodies the spirit of street photography via Instagram with the hashtag #mspf2014.
- One image will be selected at the end of the festival and the lucky winner will receive a Leica Akademie voucher (value of $199) to be used towards a future workshop.
- All submissions must be posted between 12:00 AM Thursday, December 4th and 11:59 PM on Sunday, December 7th.
- To see what others have been posting, please visit Leica’s live Instagram streaming gallery!
- Stop by the Leica Demo Table (at the same address above) to get a one-on-one experience and expert advice on Leica’s latest line-up of cameras.
From participants throughout the world, MSPF 2014 finalists’ images were selected by Observe’s Danielle Houghton and Chris Farling, and Urban Picnic Street Photography’s Matt Obrey.
- All the 2014 finalists’ images will be:
- displayed at the Miami Street Photography Festival’s main gallery in Miami during Art Basel,
- featured on the MSPF website in the Gallery of Finalists for one year, and
- published in the January 2015 issue of ISP (International Street Photographer) Magazine.
Three finalists will be chosen as this year’s recipients of the MSPF AWARD.
- As 1st Place, the Grand Prize recipient will receive “the intuitive Leica X2 camera, brilliantly designed for the needs of any street photographer.“
- 2nd Place and 3rd Place