- 50.1MP (199MP) Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- OLED 9.44M dots 0.9x Blackout-free EVF
- 2.95-in. 1.44M-dots Tilt Touch LCD
- 5-Axis 5.5 Stops IBIS
- 30fps Continuous Shooting
- 8K/30P, 4K/120P Video
- Dual card slots: CFexpress Type A/SD UHS-II
- Dust and moisture resistant
QUICKFACT SHEETAlpha dominant. For the first time, the number one full-frame interchangeable lens camera for professional photographers does not bear the Canon or Nikon name. The Sony Alpha 1 (aka α1, a1, A1) is currebtly the best full-frame camera for professional photographers. It is compact for a full-frame camera and is fully featured with many professional-grade features, accessories and lenses.
The Sony Alpha 1 is Sony’s premium flagship full-frame mirrorless camera and is currently (Jan 26, 2021) the best interchangeable lens camera you can buy — whether you are considering a DSLR or a mirrorless camera.
Here are the main features:
- Shoot 30 frames per second (compressed RAW, 20 fps uncompressed RAW) at 50 MP resolution, 15-stop dynamic range and with with AF and AE tracking using the silent electronic shutter — while looking into the bright, large (0.90x magnification) blackout-free (up to 240fps refresh rate) 9.44M-dot EVF.
- Shoot flicker-free under fluorescent/artificial lighting using the mechanical or electronic shutter.
- Flash-sync at 1/400 sec. with mechanical shutter or at 1/200 sec. using the electronic shutter.
- Capture detailed images at 50.1 MP resolution, or 199 MP with a Pixel Shift Multi Shooting option.
- Handhold with 5-axis 5.5 stops IBIS.
- Recognize, lock and track the eye of humans, birds and animals in real-time.
- Shoot 8K/30P videos with full Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF functionality.
- Shoot slow-motion videos at 4K/120P (10% crop).
- Record 8K/30P or 4K/60P video continuously for up to 30 minutes thanks to a newly developed heat-dissipating structure.
- The cinematic S-Cinetone look is available.
- A new menu structure conveniently seperates stills and movies settings.
- The Alpha 1 gives both high resolution and high speed in one body.
- Dual card slots, both accepting either a CFexpress Type A or SD UHS-I/II card.
Note that Sony does not guarantee that its cameras (including the Alpha 1) are completely dust and moisture resistant, and Sony does not provide any industry rating to that effect. It does say that the Alpha 1 features improved dust- and moisture-resistant design. Specifically, “sealing is provided at all body seams and the battery cover. The media slots have a double sliding cover and lock that keep water out. A lens lock button and mount cushion help too.” A disclaimer: “Not guaranteed to be 100% dust and water resistant.”
The Sony Alpha 1 is supported by a system of high quality lenses, vertical grip, external flashes, microphones, monitor hood, shooting grip with wireless remote commander, grip extension, and software that further expand the shooting system.
|SONY ALPHA 1 SPECS AT A GLANCE (JAN 26, 2021)|
|SENSOR RESOLUTION:||50.1MP||SENSOR TYPE:||FULL-FRAME STACKED CMOS|
|LENS MOUNT:||SONY E||ISO:||100-32000, 50, 102400|
|FOCUS:||759 POINTS; HUMAN, ANIMAL, BIRD||AF SENSITIVITY:||EV -4 to 20 (F2.0 LENS)|
|VIEWFINDER:||OLED EVF 9.44M DOTS 0.9X MAGNIFICATION, 21MM EYEPOINT, 120FPS REFRESH RATE, BLACKOUT-FREE||LCD:||2.95″ 1.44M DOTS, TILT TOUCH LCD|
|I.S.:||5-AXIS (5.5EV)||VIDEO:||8K/30P/24P, 4K/120P/60P/30P/24P, HD/120P/60P/30P/24P|
|SHUTTER:||1/32000 (E) / 1/8000 SEC. (M) – 30 SEC.||X-SYNC SPEED:||1/400 SEC. (M), 1/200 SEC. (E)|
|CONTINUOUS SHOOTING:||30 FPS (E) / 10 FPS (M)||STORAGE MEDIA:||DUAL SLOTS: CFexpress Type A/SD UHS-II|
|MICROPHONE:||3.5MM DIAMETER STEREO MINI JACK||HEADPHONE:||3.5MM DIAMETER STEREO MINI JACK|
|CONNECTIVITY:||WI-FI (2X2 MIMO), BLUETOOTH, USB 3.2 TYPE-C, USB TETHERING, HDMI TYPE-A, 1000BASE-T ETHERNET, FTP, WIRELESS REMOTE SHOOTING|
|OTHER:||OPTIONAL VERTICAL GRIP, HI-SPEED SYNC FLASH MODE, FOCUS BRACKETING, FOCUS MAP DISPLAY, BREATHING COMPENSATION|
|DIMENSIONS:||128.9 X 96.9 X 69.7 MM (5.13 X 3.88 X 3.25 IN)||WEIGHT:||737 G (1 LB 10 OZ) WITH BATTERY AND MEMORY CARD|
|PRICE:||$6,499.99 USD / $8,500 CAD, BODY ONLY||BUY:||SONY ALPHA 1|
If you are looking for the best full-frame mirrorless camera, we highly recommend the Sony Alpha 1 (2021, US $6,499.99).
If you shoot sports events professionally, check out the Sony A9 II (2019, US $4,499.99).
For those who shoot landscape or architecture and requires very detailed and high resolution images, check out the Sony A7R V (2022, US $3,900) with 61MP (with a 204.8MP option).
If you shoot a lot in challenging low-light conditions and also need an excellent video camera, you may want to check out the Sony A7S III (2020, US $3,499.99) with 12MP, a standard ISO range of ISO 80-102400 for stills and movies (expandable ISO range: 40-409600 for stills, 80-409600 for movies), Hybrid Phase- and Contrast-Detection AF with an AF low-light performance of -6EV.
If you do not need that much power, speed or resolution, but want an all-round camera, check out the Sony A7 IV (2021, US $2,500).
If the Sony Alpha 1 is the camera that is best for you, please support this site by ordering it as well as accessories from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):
- Sony Alpha 1 Press Release
- Sony Alpha 1 Technical Specs
- Sony Alpha 1 Instruction Manual
- Sony Alpha 1 Software & App Download
- Sony Alpha 1 Firmware Update
|SONY ALPHA 1 (US)|
|SONY ALPHA 1 (CAN)|