Today, McAfee introduced McAfee All Access, the industry’s first cross-device security solution that enables consumers to secure all of their Internet-connected devices from one console.
It’s not a bad idea as the number of consumer devices per household continues to rise, as well as the amount of time we spend on the Internet with our smartphones, tablets, netbooks, PCs and Macs. Downloading files, photos and videos mean that we also risk downloading malware that can steal our personal information. According to the McAfee Digital Assets Survey (also released today), Canadian consumers value their digital assets (entertainment files, photo libraries and personal information) at more than $48,000. McAfee All Access promises easy and seamless protection across all our devices (regardless of the number of devices) for either a single or family user license.
McAfee Launches Industry’s First Full Digital Security Offering for Internet-Connected Devices
Easy, seamless protection eliminates consumer guesswork involved in securing growing number and types of IP devices
MARKHAM, ON – September 27, 2011 – McAfee (NASDAQ:INTC) today announced the immediate availability of the industry’s first cross-device security solution for individuals and families that empowers them to protect their Internet-connected devices quickly, easily and cost-effectively. Launching today, McAfee® All Access is a new category of protection that enables consumers to secure smartphones, tablets, netbooks, PCs and Macs with the optimal level of security protection for each device. Pricing for McAfee All Access is based on a single user or family user license, regardless of the number of devices they need to secure.
Consumer devices per household have exploded. Twenty-five (25) per cent of consumers globally have five or more digital devices and 60 per cent own at least three, according to the McAfee Digital Assets Survey, released today. Consumers are also more engaged than ever before, with
41 per cent of global users spending more than 20 hours per week using their digital devices for personal activities.
“With McAfee All Access, consumers have a single solution for safeguarding their Internet-connected devices and protecting their digital lifestyles,” said Brenda Moretto, Manager of Canadian Consumers Sales at McAfee. “From a simple, central console, McAfee All Access users control and manage each and every one of their devices, eliminating all complex licensing and management issues.”
McAfee All Access costs CDN $99.99 for individuals and $149.99 for the household version. This represents a substantial cost savings-as much as $200-when compared to the cost of individual security and data protection for multiple devices. Free lifetime support is also included.
From one console, McAfee All Access allows consumers and families to quickly install, activate and manage essential protection for data, Internet activities, computer systems and users:
- Protect data – Backup and restore data on smartphones, tablets and PCs. Remotely locate, lock and wipe mobile devices. Misplaced smartphone at home? Make it “scream” to easily find it.
- Safeguard Internet activities – Block risky sites. Safely share content. Protect email and IM.
- Secure consumers’ systems – Anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall protects against malware and hackers. Wireless Internet at home is also protected.
- Monitor kids and teens – Parents can supervise kids’ activities including Internet and social network use, or actively filter inappropriate content including YouTube videos and explicit music lyrics.
“As the number of consumer households with multiple Internet-connected devices continues to rise, we are not seeing a parallel increase in the number of households that are proactively securing their Internet activities and information, “continued Moretto. “Whether the cause is cost or complexity, McAfee All Access addresses this by providing around-the-clock, worry-free protection wherever users connect, and at a price point that makes sense in today’s multi-device world.”
McAfee All Access addresses today’s complex threat landscape and consumers’ most common security concerns:
- Consumers value their digital assets at more than $37,000 worldwide with Canadian consumers valuing their assets at more than $48,000.
(Source: McAfee Digital Assets Survey,
- Malware cost U.S. consumers $2.3 billion last year. (Source:
Consumer Reports, 2011)
- Two million new pieces of malware are discovered each month.
(McAfee Q2 Threats Report 2011)
- Malware targeted at Android devices jumped 76 per cent in the last
- Every day, 8,900 new malicious websites are discovered by security researchers. (McAfee Q2 Threats Report 2011)
- Forty (40) per cent of U.S. and U.K. consumers say losing their mobile devices would be worse than losing their wallets, and 82 per cent fear that information on lost or stolen devices would be used for fraudulent means. (Source: Coleman Parkes Research)
- Only 21.6 per cent of Canadians believe they are protected from threats such as increased activity in the number of domains, IP addresses and URLs with malicious reputations. (Source: Leger Marketing*)
McAfee All Access offers consumers the following categories of protection on today’s most popular devices.
Smartphones and Tablets for Android, Symbian and BlackBerry Operating Systems
- Complete anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-phishing protection – Scans and cleans malicious code from inbound and outbound emails, text messages, attachments and files.
- Safe searching, browsing and shopping – Blocks risky links within SMS, email and social networking sites.
- Locate and track – Allows consumers to view their phone’s location on a map and send an SMS to prompt its return, as well as using its remote alarm to make it “scream” so it can be easily found.
- Remote lock and wipe features – Prevents access to data, including that on memory (SIM) cards, if the phone is lost.
- Backup and restore options – Preserves personal information on-demand, on a schedule or before users wipe their missing smartphone or tablet, and helps users restore data to a new device.
- Family protection (Android only) – Ensures safe browsing on mobile devices and prevents kids’ and teens’ exposure to inappropriate content. (Available in English-language version only.)
Desktop, Laptop and Netbook PCs
- Complete anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-phishing tools – Analyzes and blocks new and emerging threats in real time.
- Two-way firewall – Blocks hackers from accessing PCs.
- Anti-spam tools – Provides comprehensive spam blocking and email filtering.
- Home network protection – Safeguards wireless connections in the home and protects them from intruders.
- Safe searching, browsing and shopping protection – Alerts users to risky websites, blocks phishing sites and sites infected with malware.
It also allows users to easily and safely shorten and share web links via Facebook and Twitter.
- Family protection – Blocks inappropriate content and programs, moni tors social networking sites, offers parents age-based guidelines and monitors and records instant message conversations, in addition to other features.
- PC tools – Includes file encryption, data shredder to destroy sensitive files, PC-optimization tools and online back-up.
McAfee helps keep Mac users safe from intrusion by viruses, Trojans, worms, bots and rootkits. Security essentials, such as phishing protection and a firewall also help keep Macs safe from attack, while website ratings help users determine if sites are safe or malicious.
To help safeguard kids and teens, McAfee All Access also includes family protection for Mac with features such as website blocking, usage monitoring and key word search filtering. (Family protection for Mac is offered in English-language versions only.)
McAfee All Access customers with an active subscription get free lifetime support via phone, email or chat.
McAfee All Access: Videos, Availability and Pricing
- VIDEO: History of Malware:
- VIDEO: A New World of Threats:
- VIDEO: McAfee All Access:
- The product is available for download immediately in Canada at www.mcafee.com/allaccess as an annual subscription:
o Individual user: CDN $99.99 annually
o Household (ideal for a family): CDN $149.99 annually
- McAfee All Access is available now in retail outlets in the following countries: Canada, the United States, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, The Netherlands, Portugal and Japan.
- The product is compatible with Microsoft Windows XP SP3 or higher (32-bit), Windows Vista SP1 (32- and 64-bit), Windows 7 (32- and 64-bit), and Mac OS X 10.5 or higher.
* The online survey of 1,500 Canadians, 18 years of age or older, was completed over the period May 24-26, 2011 by Leger Marketing. A probability sample of the same size would yield a margin of error of +/- 2.5 per cent, 19 times out of 20.
McAfee, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC), is the world’s largest dedicated security technology company. McAfee delivers proactive and proven solutions and services that help secure systems, networks, and mobile devices around the world, allowing users to safely connect to the Internet, browse and shop the Web more securely. Backed by its unrivaled Global Threat Intelligence, McAfee creates innovative products that empower home users, businesses, the public sector and service providers by enabling them to prove compliance with regulations, protect data, prevent disruptions, identify vulnerabilities, and continuously monitor and improve their security.
McAfee is relentlessly focused on constantly finding new ways to keep our customers safe. http://www.mcafee.com.
McAfee Canada is headquartered in Markham, Ontario, with regional offices across Canada. The company’s Consumer Software Research and Development facility is based in Waterloo, Ontario.