Leica is really going in new and uncharted directions with their new cameras, the latest one being the Leica X-U (Typ 113), a waterproof, shockproof and dust-sealed fixed lens camera with a 16MP APS-C CMOS sensor. For all the ruggedness it boasts, it’s unfortunately not rated as freezeproof, operating only down to 0° C. Underwater, it does not require any special housing for a depth of 15 m (49 feet) for a max. of 60 min. So far, Leica has not announced any underwater housing for those who want to take the camera deeper and for a longer time.
It’s basically the Leica X with the body sealed against dust and water. It has the same 23 mm (35 mm equiv.) F1.7 and no wide converters are available for those who may prefer a wider angle lens underwater. Minimum focusing is 20 cm. There is a flash mounted on the lens mount itself, right above the lens, is rated for 5 m at ISO 100, and recharges in 5 s. There is a hot shoe at the top to attach an external flash, but I don’t think we might see a more powerful waterproof flash some time in the future. The LCD is 3.0-in. with 920K-dot resolution. There is no viewfinder.
On the top plate, there is a dedicated shutter speed dial and, oddly, an aperture dial. There is PASM shooting mode, but no Mode dial, so probably accessible via Menu. Autofocus is contrast-detect, and the lens has a focus ring with a marked distance scale. You can shoot movie at Full HD 1920×1080 @ 30 fps. Other features include RAW file format, ISO 100-12500, a UW mode (DOWN Arrow Key position) for quick white balance and distortion correction for underwater shooting, and a shutter speed range of 30 s – 1/2000 s. Continuous shooting is at 5 fps, for a maximum of 7 images.
Interested? You’ll have to shell out US $2,950 for one.
The following video presents “With the New Leica X-U, Dive into a New Adventure:”
Leica today released the new Leica X-U (Typ 113) with the following key features:
- Waterproof up to a depth of 15 meters or 49 feet for 60 minutes
- Shockproof: In compliance with MIL-STD 810G, method 516.52 (in accordance with Leica Camera AG testing conditions 1), the test entails a fall of the camera from a height of 1.22 m / 48” onto a wood surface with a thickness of 5 cm / 2”
- Anti-slip rubber exterior for secure grip and easy handling
- Outstanding build quality, Made in Germany
- Simple and intuitive operation
- Sophisticated design paired with the renowned 23 mm/ f1.7 focal length lens, including manual focus ring
- Built-in flash mounted on lens
- Lens: Leica Summilux 23 mm/ f1.7 ASPH (35 mm equivalent. 35 mm) – 10 elements in 8 groups, 2 aspherical lens elements – with an underwater protection filter and the “ability to capture pin-sharp exposures“ from infinity to a closest focusing distance of just 20 cm
- Underwater Mode: Special mode for adjustment for the underwater related shift in color rendition
- Housing Plastic core, aluminum upper and lower covers, flexible TPE reinforcement
- Monitor: 3” TFT LCD, approx. 920,000 pixels, wide-angle field of view: 100 %
Leica Camera is proud to announce the expansion of the Leica X family with the introduction of the Leica X-U (Typ 113), a rugged compact camera for extreme weather and underwater photography. The Leica X-U combines Leica’s longstanding tradition of sophisticated design, premium materials and unrivaled image quality with a camera that can go nearly anywhere. It is the camera that is ready for any of life’s challenges.
In pouring rain, tropical heat or a blizzard – the extreme ruggedness of the Leica X-U makes it the perfect companion on any outdoor project or journey. As a shockproof, dust and water sealed expedition camera, the Leica X-U defies the elements with confidence and ease. Its minimized and intuitive handling guarantees you ultimate creative freedom and the ability to react in a flash as opportunities arise. The rugged Leica X-U, its extra large sensor and a first-class lens, delivers pin-sharp and breathtakingly brilliant pictures under even the toughest conditions. Adventure photography starts here!
From sandstorms to tropical downpours – the new Leica X-U is always at your side! Take every adventure as it comes – thanks to its non-slip, perfectly sealed body and a specially toughened protective cover for its monitor screen. Its extra large sensor and first-class lens deliver pin-sharp pictures in brilliant quality.
The APS-C format CMOS sensor guarantees extraordinary brilliance, natural colour rendition, and exceptional resolution of the finest details, even in low light. The result: pictures in true Leica quality.
For more info, please visit https://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-X/Leica-X-U/Details#Wasserdicht .
You can pre-order / buy the Leica X-U at B&H:
- Leica X-U (Typ 113) Digital Camera – USD $2,950.00
Your browser does not support iFrame.