FUJIFILM started the issuing of firmware updates to bring current X-series cameras up to the latest specs, free of charge. Before that, you had to physically upgrade your camera to the newer version by selling the current one and purchasing the newer one. With the fast pace of technological changes, that meant that you were either hopelessly left behind (because you chose not to upgrade) or spent a lot of money keeping up-to-date. FUJIFILM’s policy of free firmware updates of major specs won a lot of enthusiast photographers over to its side and to the X-series cameras.
The FUJIFILM X-E2S is essentially a firmware update (available free) of the X-E2, updating the AF system by adding the new Zone and Wide/Tracking options to the existing Single Point mode. Other improvements include an electronic shutter and an improved menu user interface. Physical changes (that are, of course, on the X-E2S but not on the X-E2) include the addition of the Full AUTO button (replaces Fn2), access to Macro (UP Arrow) and AF (DOWN Arrow) to the 4-Way Controller, and an enhanced grip. The X-E2S features the same 16.3MP X-Trans CMOS II sensor with both phase detection and contrast-detect AF as on the X-E2, and retains the intuitive and dedicated shutter speed dial and exposure compensation dial. So, you can decide that the X-E2S has enough physical changes to warrant a physical upgrade or, if you are happy with your X-E2, just apply the free firmware update and you’re good to go.
While the X-E2S is a cheaper version of the X-Pro2, minus optical viewfinder and weatherproofing, it does not include all the improvements that went into the X-Pro2, such as the newer 24MP X-Trans CMOS III sensor and the new ACROS film simulation. You may need to wait for the X-E3 for that.
Just like on the X-E2, the X-E2S features the beautiful retro design with a magnesium die-cast top and front cover, and employs numbered dials for aperture (on the XF lenses), shutter speed and exposure compensation for a more intuitive exposure control. The analog control dials allow you to check and change settings, even when the camera is turned off — allowing you to start shooting in the right settings as soon as you turn the camera on. The dials are beautifully designed with the right amount of resistance when turning them.
The firmware update is worth applying to your X-E2:
- It complements the current 49-single-point autofocus system with new Zone and Wide/Tracking modes, which use 77 autofocus points across a wider area to substantially improve the camera’s ability to capture moving subjects in continuous AF mode.
- Single-point AF divides the focus area into smaller sections to more accurately determine the distance to the subject for even greater focusing accuracy. The built-in phase detection pixels have the detection range of 0.5EV, an improvement from the previous 2.5EV, delivering phase detection AF performance that enables fast focusing in low-light conditions and on low-contrast subjects.
- New Eye Detection AF automatically detects and focuses on human eyes.
- New Auto Macro function automatically switches the camera into the Macro mode while maintaining the conventional AF speed. You no longer have to press the Macro button to initiate a close-up shot. This update eliminates the Macro function assigned to the Macro Button, allowing you to assign a different function to the button.
- New electronic shutter, allowing completely silent shooting at shutter speeds as high as 1/32000 s.
- New menu user interface.
- AF acquisition speed has also been improved from 0.08 s to a faster 0.06 s.
If you prefer Touch AF capability, load the FUJIFILM Camera Remote application and built-in Wi-Fi allows you to use your smartphone or tablet to touch focus and remotely trigger the camera release. You can control exposure settings (shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation and ISO), as well as apply Film Simulation, use the self-timer and trigger flash. There is a built-in pop-up flash, and a hot shoe allows you to attach an external flash unit. Since the 3.0-in. 1.04-million-dot LCD display remains fixed, you’ll have to resort to the FUJIFILM Camera Remote app and your smartphone or tablet for more convenient viewing angles.
Movie is Full HD 1920×1080 pixels at 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p or 24p for up to 14 min. Continuous Shooting is at 7 fps (JPEG : 18 frames).
The FUJIFILM X-E2S is a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera using Fujifilm’s X Mount that accepts the full range of interchangeable XF lenses. There is no bult-in image stabilizer, but most of the XF lenses feature optical image stabilization. Available accessories include mount adapter, macro extension tube, external flash units, stereo microphone, cabled shutter release, hand grips, grip belt and leather cases.
- Fujifilm X-E2S Specifications
- Fujifilm X-E2S Sample Images
- Fujifilm X-E2S Special Site
- Fujifilm X-E2 Firmware Update Ver.4.00
You can buy the Fujifilm X-E2S from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years:
Your browser does not support iFrame.