The FUJINON GF80mmF1.7 R WR Lens is a prime autofocus lens for Fujifilm’s GFX medium-format mirrorless cameras. It has a fast F1.7 maximum aperture and is targeted at portrait photographers looking for great bokeh in their images. It is weather-resistant against dust and water, and can operate at temperatures as low as -10°C (14°F). The front lens element is also coated with fluorine to repel dirt.
FUJIFILM Announces FUJINON GF80mmF1.7 R WR Lens: The World’s Widest Aperture Autofocus Lens for a Large Format Camera System
Valhalla, N.Y. – January 27, 2021 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is pleased to announce that it will release its FUJINON GF80mmF1.7 R WR Lens (GF80mmF1.7), the world’s first*1 AF-capable F1.7 interchangeable lens for Large Format camera systems, including FUJIFILM GFX System digital cameras, in March 2021.
GF80mmF1.7 R WR has a standard focal length of 80mm (a 35mm equivalent of 63mm). Its large-diameter autofocus (AF) prime lens features a maximum aperture of F1.7, which also makes it the fastest lens among Fujifilm’s G Mount lenses.
“Portrait photographers using GFX System cameras can now choose FUJINON GF110mmF2 R WR for when they want images with a tighter angle of view or pick GF80mmF1.7 for when they want something slightly wider,” said Victor Ha, senior director of marketing and product management for FUJIFILM North America Corporation’s Electronic Imaging Division. “This choice will certainly give image-makers more options creatively, especially since the highly anticipated bokeh produced from GF80mmmF1.7’s wide aperture is sure to provide an incredible aesthetic quality to any image.”
Optically designed for limitless creativity
- GF80mmF1.7 R WR features nine rounded diaphragm blades that can be stopped down to provide edge-to-edge sharpness or opened up to produce images with beautifully smooth bokeh, with astounding separation between a subject and its background, from any GFX System camera. Comprising 12 lens elements in nine groups, including one aspherical element and two, Super ED elements, this lens is optimally balanced to control spherical aberration and deliver a quality of bokeh not able to be replicated by any other Large Format lens on the market.
- Fujifilm’s ultra high-precision glass molding technology has been used on the two aspherical lens surfaces to produce a tolerance of 1/100,000th of a millimeter. This is five times more accurate than regular lens molding techniques can produce and serves to minimize the onion-ring effect that can how the lens handles the out-of-focus areas of an image.
The world’s first F1.7 lens with autofocus for a large format digital system
- GF80mmF1.7 features a powerful DC motor that has enough torque to drive the focus group of six lens elements, including the aspherical element, to quickly deliver accurate and reliable autofocus, even when the lens is wide-open at F1.7 and when depth of field is extremely shallow. The lens also supports the Face / Eye AF function, which uses an advanced focusing algorithm to accurately acquire focus on a subject’s face or eyes even when they are moving within the frame.
- GF80mmF1.7 brings low-light focusing capabilities of GFX100 and GFX100S to EV-5.5, which is a 0.5 stop improvement in the case of GFX100. With GF80mmF1.7, autofocus performance for both of these cameras is maximized in dimly lit environments.
Compact and practical size
- Measuring at 3.9 in. (99.2mm) long and weighing just 1.75 lb. (795g), with a filter thread size of 77mm, GF80mmF1.7 is practically sized and suited for both on-location and in-studio applications.
- Weather-resistant seals have been applied to the lens barrel at 10 locations on the lens to protect it against dust and water, while also providing it with the ability to operate at temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C). The front lens element is also coated with fluorine to repel dirt, adding another layer of weather-resistant performance to the lens.
Pricing and Availability
GF80mmF1.7 R WR is currently expected to be available in March 2021 at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $2,299.95 and $2,990 CDN. For more information, please visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/lenses/gf80mmf17-r-wr/.
This lens was part of a launch of five new camera and lens products as part of Fujifilm’s Global X-Summit. For more information on the other products launched, please click below:
XF27mmF2.8 R WR lens: https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/news/2021/0127_47299/
XF70-300mmF4-5.6 R LM OIS WR lens: https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/news/2021/0127_47304/
GFX100S mirrorless digital camera: https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/news/2021/0127_47305/
X-E4 mirrorless digital camera: https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/news/2021/0127_47302/
*1: Among in-market interchangeable lenses for mirrorless digital cameras equipped with an image sensor measuring 55mm diagonally (43.8mm x 32.9mm), as of January 27, 2021
FUJIFILM North America Corporation, a marketing subsidiary of FUJIFILM Holdings America Corporation, consists of five operating divisions and one subsidiary company. The Imaging Division provides consumer and commercial photographic products and services, including: photographic paper; digital printing equipment, along with service and support; personalized photo products; film; one-time-use cameras; and the popular INSTAX™ line of instant cameras and accessories. The Electronic Imaging Division markets consumer digital cameras, lenses, and content creation solutions, and the Graphic Systems Division supplies products and services to the graphic printing industry. The Optical Devices Division provides optical lenses for the broadcast, cinematography, closed circuit television, videography and industrial markets, and also markets binoculars and other optical imaging solutions. The Industrial and Corporate New Business Development Division delivers new products derived from Fujifilm technologies. FUJIFILM Canada Inc. sells and markets a range of FUJIFILM products and services in Canada.
For more information, please visit https://www.fujifilm.com/us/en, go to https://www.twitter.com/fujifilmus to follow Fujifilm on Twitter, or go to https://www.facebook.com/FujifilmNorthAmerica to like Fujifilm on Facebook.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation, Tokyo, Japan, brings cutting edge solutions to a broad range of global industries by leveraging its depth of knowledge and fundamental technologies developed in its relentless pursuit of innovation. Its proprietary core technologies contribute to the various fields including healthcare, graphic systems, highly functional materials, optical devices, digital imaging and document products. These products and services are based on its extensive portfolio of chemical, mechanical, optical, electronic and imaging technologies. For the year ended March 31, 2020, the company had global revenues of $21 billion, at an exchange rate of 109 yen to the dollar. Fujifilm is committed to responsible environmental stewardship and good corporate citizenship. For more information, please visit: https://www.fujifilmholdings.com
Please support this site. Pre-Order / Buy the Fujifilm FUJINON GF80mmF1.7 R WR lens from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):
– GF 80mm f/1.7 R WR Lens, Black