This is an update to the previous blog, Fujifilm X-T1 Firmware Update V.4.00 Substantially Improves Moving Subject Autofocus & Adds Auto Macro Mode: Available @ No Cost in Late June 2015.
The following video presents FUJIFILM X-T1 & X-T10 New Auto Focus System / FUJIFILM:
The new AF system in the FUJIFILM X-T1(with Firmware Ver. 4.00) and X-T10 adds Zone and Wide/Tracking options to the existing 49-point Single Point mode. This improves focus performance when shooting moving subjects and helps you to capture perfect photos when the subject is moving across the 77-point AF area.
FUJIFILM X-T10 camera already has the Advanced new autofocus (AF) system.
- X-T1 cameras with Firmware Ver. 4.00, and X-T10 camera showcase a great improvement in Autofocus (AF) function. Among the enhancement, Wide Tracking is perhaps the one that many are eager to test.
Here are the key highlights of the upcoming firmware update.
- Phase detection pixels increased sensitivity from 2.5EV to 0.5EV
- Intelligent Hybrid AF combines on-sensor phase detection AF with contrast AF.
- On-sensor phase detection AF uses phase detection pixels on the image sensor for fast and precise focus even in low light conditions or on low contrast subjects.
- Contrast AF is effective in even darker conditions, delivering precise focus on all types of scenes.
- AF improvement in Movie mode
- Intelligent Hybrid AF is also used during movie shooting, switching between the phase detection AF and contrast AF at the center of the screen
- The algorithm has been optimized for fast, precise and smooth focusing.
- When the Face Detection function is activated, the system automatically maintains focus on people during movie shooting.
- Single Point AF
- The Single Point AF area is divided into smaller sections to accurately determine the distance to the subject for even greater focusing precision.
- When the selected section contains both subject and background, the AF system focuses on the subject nearer the camera, to prevent accidentally focusing on the background.
- High-speed AF from macro to infinity
- The new AF system features an Auto Macro function that eliminates the need to press the Macro button before shooting close-ups.
- The Auto Macro function delivers optimized AF speed across the range to increase the focusing speed from macro to infinity by approx. 10%.
- Face Detection + Eye Detection AF
- Activate Face Detection to automatically detect human faces and focus with Eye Detection AF to ensure accurate focus on human eyes, even when using a shallow depth-of-field.
- “Combine these two functions to take your portrait photography to a new level.”
- Predictive Tracking AF (in AF-C mode; the AF-C mode continuously focuses while the
shutter button is half-pressed.)
- This advanced Predictive Tracking AF technology uses data from the subject to predict its next move, enables highly precise AF-C shooting.
- Once captured in the AF frame, the camera continues to track the subject even if it makes unpredictable movements up/down, right/left or closer/further.
- “And on top of this, FUJIFILM also utilizes information that only a mirrorless structure can offer to keep tracking more accurately: brightness and color information.”
- Fast linear motor-driven AF Lenses (typically zooms) with an inner focusing mechanism are driven by a linear motor.
- It drives lens elements in the non-contact state to deliver silent and highly responsive AF.
- Lenses featuring a linear motor swiftly respond to the new AF system’s high-speed focusing, further helping to track a moving subject.
Mirrorless camera always receives input from the lens. And this information is exactly the image of what you are seeing, and what the final image will be. Tracking function that is close to the human eye…. Coming soon.
More info about the new AF System can be found at http://fujifilm-x.com/af/en/index.html.