a little bit of 8K/30P in my life
a little bit of 4K/120P by my side
a little bit of 12fps is all I need
a little bit of IBIS is what I see
a little bit of Face, Head and Eye tracking in the sun
a little bit of Dual Card Slots all night long
a little bit of full-frame sensor here I am
a little bit of FREE Cloud Service makes me your man
(Apologies to Lou Bega and his Mambo No. 5)
Canon is obviously playing the teasing game with us concerning the upcoming, still-under-development EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera. I mean the camera is still in development and they even have a product showcase page for it on their site. Being the only full-frame mirrorless to offer 8K (no crop) video at 30P, 4K/120P (no crop), and Dual Pixels AF for video, it feels that it can brag a little bit here, brag a little bit there. It’s also bragging that it finally has IBIS (In-Body Image Stabilization), which will work in tandem with the OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) in its lenses.
What’s exciting for us is that it looks like, after ignoring serious mirrorless development for 12 years, Canon is finally taking mirrorless seriously. Finally. It seems that it is even getting excited to go head to head with the established mirrorless brands, and its engineers are having fun again. Good news for consumers. Scary thought for all other mirrorless camera manufacturers.
The Excitement Builds: Canon Announces Additional In-Demand Specifications of The EOS R5 Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera
MELVILLE, NY, April 20, 2020 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today is sharing additional specifications of the highly anticipated Canon EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera currently in development. The newly released information divulges further details on the 8K video recording capability, IBIS and more.
Newly Announced Details of The Canon EOS R5 Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera include:
- 8K RAW internal video recording up to 29.97 fps
- 8K internal video recording up to 29.97 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265).
- 4K internal video recording up to 119.88 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2full-frame m 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265). 4K external recording is also available up to 59.94 fps.
- No crop 8K and 4K video capture using the full-width of the sensor.*
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in all 8K and 4K recording modes.
- Canon Log available in 8K and 4K internal recording modes.
- A Canon first, the EOS R5 will feature 5-axis In-Body Image Stabilization, which works in conjunction with Optical IS equipped with many of the RF and EF lenses.
- Dual-card slots: 1x CFexpress and 1x SD UHS-II.
To learn more about the Canon EOS R5 Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera and the additional information announced, please visit, www.usa.canon.com/EOSR5
About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions to the United States and to Latin America and the Caribbean markets. With approximately $33 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), ranks third overall in U.S. patents granted in 2019† and was named one of Fortune Magazine’s World’s Most Admired Companies in 2020. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company’s RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss and follow us on Twitter @CanonUSA.
† Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.
* When in 8K RAW, 8K/4K DCI modes.