Sony has announced the third electronic lens adaptor that will allow its DSLR A-mount lenses to be used on its full-frame mirrorless E-mount camera bodies. After the LA-EA3 and LA-EA4, it’s now the LA-EA5. What the LA-EA5 makes possible that the previous lens adapters did not is to allow users to access Sony’s industry-leading autofocus and high-speed shooting capabilities found in Sony’s latest E-mount camera bodies with A-mount SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) and SAM (Smooth Autofocus Motor) lenses, as well as A-mount lenses that do not have internal focus motors.
This is good news for photographers who have invested into expensive superb-quality A-mount lenses. Now, they can mount these lenses onto Sony’s mirrorless E-Mount bodies and take full advantage of Sony’s fast and precise Real-time Eye AF and Real-time AF/AE tracking during continuous shooting up to 11 fps. However, do read the notes below for body and lens compatibility information.
Sony Electronics Announces New LA-EA5 Lens Adaptor for A-Mount Lenses
SAN DIEGO – September 1, 2020 – Today, Sony Electronics Inc. announced the new LA-EA5, a 35mm Full-frame A-mount lens adaptor that allows users to easily pair advanced E-mount camera bodies1 with A-mount lenses1.
Using the new LA-EA5 A-mount adaptor, users can now access the acclaimed autofocus and high-speed shooting capabilities found in Sony’s latest E-mount camera bodies1 with A-mount SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) and SAM (Smooth Autofocus Motor) lenses2, as well as A-mount lenses that do not have internal focus motors.
Full support is provided for focal plane phase-detection AF3, wide-area focal phase-detection AF3 coverage, Real-time Eye AF for both humans and animals, Real-time Tracking and AF/AE4 (auto exposure) tracking for SSM/SAM lenses on nine most recently introduced E-mount cameras1 at up to 11fps5 depending on the camera model. When used with the Alpha 7R IV6 or Alpha 66006, for the first time, these capabilities are possible with lenses that do not have internal focus motors, such as the Sonnar T* 135mm F1.8 ZA and Planar T* 85mm F1.4 ZA.
The LA-EA5 combines a compact design, featuring an aperture drive unit and a newly developed compact AF drive unit. To ensure comfortable operation when used on an E-mount camera body, the new adaptor’s diameter matches that of the A-mount, perfectly aligning with the edges of the mount. The LA-EA5 allows easy operation on full-frame E-mount bodies, even when a vertical grip is attached to the camera body.
Pricing & Availability:
The LA-EA5 is available in October 2020 for a suggested retail price of $249.99 USD and $329.99 CAD.
Exclusive stories and exciting new content shot with the new lens and Sony’s other imaging products can be found at alphauniverse.com, a site created to educate and inspire all fans and customers of Sony’s α – Alpha brand.
For detailed product information, please visit:
(US) – LA-EA5
(Canada) – LA-EA5
1. As of Sept. 2020, focal plane phase-detection AF is supported for SSM/SAM lenses on the Alpha 7 III, Alpha 7R III, Alpha 7R IV, Alpha 6100, Alpha 6400, Alpha 6600, Alpha 9, Alpha 9 II, and Alpha 7S III. Focal plane phase-detection is supported for lenses that do not have internal focus motors on the Alpha 7R IV and Alpha 6600.
2. STF lenses are manual focus only. Teleconverters are not supported.
3. Autofocus is not available during movie recording.
4. For AE tracking, the aperture is fixed for the first frame while shutter speed and ISO are used for exposure adjustment.
5. Maximum continuous shooting speed is 10 fps with the Alpha 7R IV, Alpha 9, and Alpha 9 II, and 11 fps with the Alpha 6600. Continuous shooting speed may change depending on the attached lens.
6. The Alpha 7R IV must be updated to software V1.20 or later, and the Alpha 6600 must be updated to software V1.10 or later.