The SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports features very minimal focus breathing, dust and splash-proof construction, up to 7.5 stops optical stabilizer at the Wide end (5.5 stops at the Tele end), an inner zoom mechanism, and is the first SIGMA DN zoom lens to be equipped with an aperture ring.
SIGMA Announces Release of 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports Lens
Ronkonkoma, NY, November 16, 2023 – SIGMA Corporation of America, the US subsidiary of SIGMA Corporation (CEO: Kazuto Yamaki. Headquarters: Asao-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa, Japan) is pleased to announce the official release of the highly-anticipated SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports lens.
A reliable and lightweight large-aperture telephoto zoom lens designed exclusively for full-frame mirrorless cameras, the 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports is available for Sony E-mount and Leica L Mount. Combining high-speed AF, remarkably effective OS, exceptional mechanical reliability, and superior optical performance, this high-performance lens is purpose-built to meet the rigorous demands of professionals, and is suitable for a wide range of styles and genres including nature, wildlife, photojournalism, action sports, wedding and portraits. The lens will retail for $1,499 USD and will be available through authorized retailers on December 7, 2023.
Streamlined optical design and a multi-material structure featuring magnesium and TSC have resulted in a lightweight lens body. A new compact tripod collar and foot also help minimize weight, as does a CFRP (carbon fiber-reinforced plastic) lens hood. Compared to the 70-200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports for DSLR cameras (1,805g for SA mount), the 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports is significantly lighter (1,345g for L-Mount).
Featuring Dual HLA-driven floating focus for fast, accurate AF, the focus lens is driven using a high-thrust HLA (High-response Linear Actuator) as the focus actuator, and a floating focus is used to achieve high-speed AF drive. The floating configuration of this lens, in which the two focus groups are driven in opposite directions, reduces the amount of movement of each focus group to about half that of a single group focus system, achieving extremely fast AF that is highly responsive. The latest OS2 stabilization algorithm achieves image stabilization performance of 7.5 stops at the Wide end and 5.5 stops at the Tele end.
The SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports has very minimal focus breathing on both the wide and tele ends, making it a powerful lens for video applications. The minimal change in center of gravity enables stable shooting in all situations, including handheld, on a tripod, and with a gimbal. During zooming, five groups are moved to suppress aberration fluctuation, achieving high optical performance throughout the zoom range.
Exclusively for mirrorless cameras | Compatible with full-frame cameras
S | Sports
SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS
Performance, reliability, and mobility at its highest level.
- High-speed AF and optical stabilizer function that maximize superior optical performance
- Top-level build quality condensed into a highly mobile lens
- A wealth of functions to assist professionals
Supplied accessories: Case, LENS HOOD LH860-01, TRIPOD SOCKET TS-151, FRONT CAP LCF- 77mm III, REAR CAP LCR II
Available mounts: L-Mount, Sony E-mount
Launch date: December 7, 2023
* The appearance and specifications of the products are subject to change.
* Sony E-mount lenses are developed, manufactured and sold in accordance with the E-mount specifications licensed under a license agreement with Sony Corporation.
* L-Mount is a registered trademark of Leica Camera AG.
Performance, reliability, and mobility at its highest level.
Packed with all the technology SIGMA has to offer
The large F2.8 aperture provides stable and high descriptive performance at all zoom and focus ranges. The high-speed AF with a dual HLA (High-response Linear Actuator) based on a floating focus structure, and the Optical Stabilizer function with the OS2 algorithm with up to 7.5 stops of correction effect*, ensure that users can take the right shot when there is no room for error. The highly mobile lens with high durability, rigidity, and texture is equipped with a wealth of functions to assist comfortable shooting, including an inner zoom mechanism for easy handling, as well as an aperture ring and switches with various customization functions. The flagship SIGMA 70 200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports, combined with the best of SIGMA’s latest technologies to meet the high-level demands of professionals, has finally arrived.
＊Based on CIPA guidelines (Measured at 70mm and 200mm with a 35mm full-frame image sensor)
1. High-speed AF and optical stabilizer function that maximize superior
The SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports, developed with professional use in mind, offers not only high optical performance, but also high-speed AF with a dual HLA (High-response Linear Actuator) and an optical stabilizer function with up to 7.5 stops. The Sports line lenses offer high optical performance, and all functions are based on state-of-the-art technology.
High descriptive performance at all zoom and focus ranges
The latest optical design, which employs luxurious glass materials including 6 FLD and 2 SLD elements of special low-dispersion glass, delivers high resolving power throughout the entire zoom range. Three aspherical lenses are used, as they are now indispensable for superior optical performance and streamlined lens construction. The exceptionally high precision of the aspherical lenses, which take advantage of the technical capabilities of SIGMA’s only production facility, the Aizu factory, further improves optical performance. The incorporated floating focus is advantageous in improving short-range performance, ensuring a stable, high- level image quality throughout the entire range from the minimum focusing distance to infinity.
High-speed AF with a dual HLA
The SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports with floating focus has a structure in which the two focus groups move in opposite directions, thereby reducing the amount of focus lens movement by about half. In addition, the use of an HLA (High-response Linear Actuator) motor in each of the two focus groups enables high-speed autofocusing. In addition to being fast and accurate, the lens also employs a control program that is designed to be quiet, so users can shoot movies comfortably without worrying about noise.
OS2 algorithm in optical stabilizer function
The latest OS2 optical stabilization algorithm provides an extremely high image stabilization effect of 7.5 stops at the wide end and 5.5 stops at the telephoto end*. The lens is equipped with two OS modes: Mode 1 is suitable for general shooting, and Mode 2 is ideal for panning shots of motorsports and other sports. In Mode 2, SIGMA’s Intelligent OS, an algorithm specially designed for panning shots, enables effective image stabilization even when the camera is moved vertically or diagonally, irrespective of the horizontal and vertical orientation. This ensures that the subject’s movement can be captured without losing the panning shot effect.
* Based on CIPA guidelines (Measured at 70mm and 200mm with a 35mm full-frame image sensor)
Designed to minimize focus breathing
The lens has been designed to suppress focus breathing. The change in angle of view due to focus shift is minimized, creating a natural-looking focus shift when recording video.
Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
Flare and ghosting, which reduce image quality, are addressed under all conditions of incident light based on the most advanced simulation technology. High backlight resistance enables clear and sharp images under any lighting conditions.
2. Top-level build quality condensed into a highly mobile lens
SIGMA is committed to excellent build quality in all its lenses. Among them, the SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports, which is part of the Sports line, offers not only high weather resistance performance for shooting in harsh environments, but also improved quality and durability through the use of cutting-edge materials in appropriate places based on a streamlined optical and mechanical design. At the same time, a high level of mobility is also realized, resulting in a professional equipment that can be used with confidence over the long term.
High quality and durability despite its small size and light weight
The latest optical and mechanical design streamlines the lens configuration and internal structure, resulting in a significantly smaller and lighter body than the previous SIGMA 70- 200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports model. The body, including the hood, features a “multi- material structure” that optimally arranges materials such as magnesium, CFRP*1, and TSC*2. Even with enhanced mobility, the lens features SIGMA’s renowned excellent build quality, including high durability, reliable rigidity, and various control rings and switches that have been carefully designed to feel good.
* 1 CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic), a light but strong material used in the interior and exterior fittings of aircraft, among many other applications.
* 2 TSC (Thermally Stable Composite) is a type of polycarbonate with a thermal expansion rate similar to that of aluminum. It has high affinity to metal parts which contributes to high quality product manufacturing
Adoption of inner zoom mechanism
The zoom mechanism employs an inner zoom. Since the total length of the lens does not change with zoom operation, it is easy to handle when shooting hand-held, highly stable when installed on a gimbal, and resistant to dust and water droplets.
Weatherability of Sports line specifications
The mount connection, manual focus ring, zoom ring, switches, switch panel and exterior connection are all dust and splash resistant* to prevent dust and dirt from entering the lens. Further, the front element of the lens features a water and oil repellent coating to facilitate maintenance when water droplets or dust adhere to the lens.
* The structure is designed to be dust and splash resistant, but not waterproof. Be careful not to bring the lens in contact with a large amount of water. Water inside the lens may cause major damage and even render the lens unrepairable.
3. A wealth of functions to assist professional photographers
In addition to an aperture ring, a magnesium tripod mount, and various switches, the highly mobile lens has a wealth of functions available, enabling a more comfortable and versatile shooting experience for users.
Equipped with an aperture ring
This is the first SIGMA zoom lens for still photography to be equipped with an aperture ring. It is also equipped with an aperture ring click switch and an aperture ring lock switch, allowing for aperture operation suited to the shooting application.
Newly developed tripod socket
The lens body incorporates an Arca-Swiss compatible magnesium alloy tripod socket. The detachable leg is newly designed for the SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports in order to achieve a compact and lightweight design.
Equipped with a Focus Limiter switch, the lens enables users to limit the focus driving range during AF when necessary, allowing quick and precise focusing. Further, the lens features three AFL buttons* ready to be assigned to preferred functions using the camera. The AFL buttons are easy to operate regardless of how the camera is oriented or which settings are used.
For the L-Mount version, the SIGMA USB DOCK UD-11 can be used to set OS operation or focus limiter range for the Custom Mode switch.
* Only on compatible cameras. Available functions may vary depending on the camera used
Tele Converter for L-Mount (1.4x / 2.0x)
The L-Mount version of the lens is compatible with the SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-1411 (1.4x) and TC-2011 (2.0x). Using a tele converter, the focal length can be multiplied by 1.4x and even 2x, for AF-enabled shooting at ultra-telephoto focal lengths of up to 400mm.
Cover-type lens hood included
A lightweight, high-strength, exclusive cover-type lens hood made of CFRP* is included. In addition to its slim design that does not impair the mobility of the lens, the tip of the hood is
rubberized to protect the lens from abrasion and scratches caused by placing the lens upside down.
* CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic), a light but strong material used in the interior and exterior fittings of aircraft, among many other applications.
[ Additional Features ]
• Lens construction: 20 elements in 15 groups (6 FLD, 2 SLD, 3 aspherical elements)
• OS (Optical Stabilizer) function with the latest “OS2” algorithm
• Inner zoom
• Inner focus system
• Compatible with high-speed autofocus
• HLA (High-response Linear Actuator)
• Compatible with Lens Aberration Correction
* Function available on supported cameras only. Available corrections or auto correction functionality may vary depending on the camera model.
* On cameras where lens aberration correction is controlled with ‘ON’ or ‘OFF’ in the camera menu, please set all aberration correction functions to ‘ON’ (AUTO).
• Supports DMF and AF+MF
• Compatible with AF assist (Sony E-mount only)
• Nano Porous Coating
• Super Multi-Layer Coating
• Water and Oil Repellent Coating (front element)
• Aperture ring
• Aperture ring click switch
• Aperture ring lock switch
• AFL button (3 buttons)
* Only on compatible cameras. Available functions may vary depending on the camera used.
• Focus Limiter switch
• Focus Mode switch
• Support for switching between linear focus / non-linear focus ring settings (for L-Mount only)
• Function available on supported cameras only.
• OS switch
• Custom Mode switch
• Dust and Splash Resistant Structure
• LENS HOOD LH860-01
• TRIPOD SOCKET TS-151 (detachable lens foot type)
• Compatible with SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-1411 / TC-2011 (sold separately / for L-Mount only)
• Compatible with SIGMA USB DOCK UD-11 (sold separately / for L-Mount only)
• Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
• Every single lens undergoes SIGMA’s proprietary MTF measuring system
• 11-blade rounded diaphragm
• High-precision, durable brass bayonet mount
• Mount Conversion Service available
• “Made in Aizu, Japan” craftsmanship
Learn more about SIGMA’s craftsmanship here:
[ Key Specifications ]
The following specifications are for L-Mount.
Lens Construction: 20 elements in 15 groups (6 FLD, 2 SLD, 3
Angle of view: 34.3° – 12.3°
Number of diaphragm blades: 11 (rounded diaphragm)
Minimum aperture: F22
Minimum focusing distance: 65 (W) – 100 (T) cm / 25.6 (W) – 39.4 (T) in.
Maximum magnification ratio: 1:5.2 (at focal length 200mm)
Filter size: 77mm
Dimensions (Max. Diam. x Length): 3.6 x 8.1 in. / 90.6 x 205mm
Weight: 47.4 oz. / 1,345g (includes tripod foot)
[ Product Barcode ]
Product Name Barcode
L-Mount: 0085126 591694
Sony E-mount: 0085126 591656
[ Accessories: Supplied ]
LENS HOOD LH860-01: 0085126 941116
FRONT CAP LCF-77mm III: 0085126 930011
TRIPOD SOCKET TS-151: 0085126 941109
REAR CAP LCR II (for L-Mount): 0085126 937256
REAR CAP LCR II (for Sony E-mount): 0085126 929879
[ Accessories: Optional ]
SIGMA USB DOCK UD-11 for L-Mount: 0085126 878696
SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-1411 for L-Mount: 0085126 825690
SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-2011 for L-Mount: 0085126 826697
SIGMA WR CERAMIC PROTECTOR 77mm: 0085126 931827
SIGMA WR PROTECTOR 77mm: 0085126 930967
SIGMA PROTECTOR 77mm: 0085126 931094
SIGMA WR UV FILTER 77mm: 0085126 930707
SIGMA WR CIRCULAR PL FILTER 77mm: 0085126 930837