PENTAX Optio RZ18 A slim, lightweight digital compact camera combining an extra-powerful 18X optical zoom lens with simple, user-friendly operation
Mississauga, ON – September 12, 2011
PENTAX Canada Inc. is pleased to announce the launch of the PENTAX Optio RZ18 digital compact camera. Sporting a slim, lightweight body for outstanding portability, the Optio RZ18 is the latest addition to the popular PENTAX Optio RZ series.
Featuring a high-magnification 18X optical zoom lens, the Optio RZ18 can handle a wide variety of subjects and occasions — from travel and landscape to action and sports. While retaining many of the convenient features of its predecessors — including the dependable dual shake reduction for effective reduction of camera shake, and the advanced PENTAX-original Auto Picture mode— the Optio RZ18 incorporates a16 megapixel sensor to deliver higher-resolution images, while the built-in LCD monitor has been upgraded to a larger 3.0-inch version with approximately 460,000 dots to assure a sharper, clearer subject image.
The Optio RZ18 will be available in Canada October 2011 in a choice of black, pearl white or metallic orange.
- 18X optical zoom lens with 25mm ultra wide-angle coverage to handle a variety of subjects and scenes
Within its slim, lightweight body, the Optio RZ18 incorporates a high-performance, extra-powerful 18X optical zoom lens covering focal lengths from 25mm ultra wide angle to 450mm super-telephoto (in the 35mm format). Thanks to this extra-wide zoom range, the Optio RZ18 can capture beautiful pictures in a wide range of subjects and scenes — from spectacular landscapes to fast-action sports events. It also offers other advanced features, including: high-quality macro shooting down to just four centimeters from the subject; the digital wide function for a super-wide-angle image (equivalent to an image taken with an approximately 19mm lens in the 35mm format) from two separate images; and the Intelligent Zoom function to further extend the zoom range to approximately 130 times to cover the focal length of an approximately 3250mm super-telephoto lens (in the 35mm format) without compromising image quality.
- Exceptional image quality is assured by latest super-resolution technology
Thanks to the combination of approximately 16 effective megapixels, a high-performance smc PENTAX zoom lens and the advanced image processing system — a system that uses the latest super-resolution technology to optimize image quality through meticulous section-by-section treatment of the captured image — the Optio RZ18 delivers well-defined, high-quality images with extra-fine resolution. Even when images are enlarged to large sizes, the user is assured of sharp, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness.
- Dual shake reduction for sharp, blur-free images
By combining a CCD-shift-type SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism with Pixel Track SR, the Optio RZ18’s dual shake reduction effectively reduces camera shake to a minimum. The user is assured of sharp, blur-free images even under shake-prone shooting conditions, such as when using a telephoto lens, or when shooting a sunset or indoor scene with only available light.
- Automatic selection of the most appropriate shooting mode
The Optio RZ18 features the PENTAX-original Auto Picture mode, which automatically selects the most appropriate shooting mode for a given subject or scene by accurately assessing various photographic conditions on and around the subject. This user-friendly mode instantly and reliably selects one of 16 shooting modes (including Blue Sky, Sunset and Pet) and optimizes various camera settings, including sensitivity and shutter speed, to assure the best results.
- Extra-large 3.0-inch LCD monitor
The Optio RZ18 features a high-resolution 3.0-inch 460,000 dot colour LCD monitor. This extra-large monitor provides a clear view of images and menus, allowing the user to quickly and efficiently check captured images and menu settings.
- High-quality HDTV-proportion movie recording
The Optio RZ18 captures beautiful, high-definition-TV-quality movie clips (1280 x 720 pixels).* It also comes equipped with the sophisticated Movie SR (Shake Reduction) mode,** which automatically compensates camera shake during movie shooting with the help of exclusive in- camera software. With the Optio RZ18, everyone can enjoy high-quality movie shooting with minimal effort.
* When the Optio RZ18’s AV output terminal is used, movie clips are output as normal image-size data. If the user wishes to play back movie clips at high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels), the data must be transferred to a personal computer for playback.
** When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.
- Automatic face detection for beautiful, lively snapshots
The Optio RZ18 features the Face Detection AF & AE function. This sophisticated feature instantly and accurately detects as many as 32 faces within the image field, then catches them in sharp focus and optimum exposure in a mere 0.03 seconds — even when some of the faces are tilted or turned away from the camera. The Optio RZ18 also comes equipped with other convenient features to assist the photographer in capturing beautiful snapshots including: the Small Face filter that makes the subject’s face appear smaller when the face appears unnaturally large in recorded images, Smile Capture mode that automatically releases the shutter the moment the camera detects the subject’s smile, and the Blink Detection function that warns the photographer when the subject’s eyes close at the time of shutter release.
- Upgraded Pet mode for automatic detection of dog and cat faces
The Optio RZ18 features the latest version of the Pet mode, which comes in handy when taking pictures of dogs and cats. This unique mode not only detects the faces of dogs and cats with great accuracy, but it also gives priority to three pre-registered pet faces over unregistered ones, so that users can effortlessly capture the best expressions of their beloved pets.
- Other features
(1) Wireless remote-control shooting using an optional PENTAX infrared remote control
(2) Burst shooting of up to 40 images, at a maximum speed of approximately 9 images per second
(Resolution is fixed at 5 MP in Burst Mode)
(3) Digital filters, including Miniature and Toy Camera, to add creative visual effects
(4) Choice of three image aspect ratios (4:3, 16:9 and 1:1) to accommodate different applications
(5) D-Range setting to prevent whitewashed (overexposed) and blacked-out (underexposed) areas in an image
(6) Digital Panorama mode to effortlessly create a single panoramic picture from as many as three images
(7) Image viewing, editing and filing software included: MediaImpression 3.1 for PENTAX (Windows version compatible with Windows 7) and MediaImpression 2.1 for PENTAX (Macintosh version compatible with Mac OS X 10.7)
(8) Eye-Fi connected: optimized for use with Eye-Fi wireless memory cards
(9) IQ Enhancer Processing maximizes the image quality
PENTAX Canada Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of HOYA CORPORATION PENTAX Imaging Systems Division of Japan and maintains offices in Mississauga. PENTAX Canada Inc. markets digital SLR and compact cameras, lenses, sport optics, closed circuit television lenses and medical equipment. PENTAX on the web at www.pentax.ca.
For the low price this is a very good camera, you get the features of the other big zoom cameras in a very lightweight pocket sized package.
The image quality is good. Looking at the images closely there is some noise, however the focus and colors are great even at full zoom, no optical distortion, over-sharpening or halo effects. You might want to experiment with the iq enhancer and many other settngs in different situations to improve image quality. One very handy feature is the ‘green’ button, that you can assign to different functions that you like to change often.
The video is adequate, however the zoom is fixed while recording.
Anti-shake, good focusing and auto shooting modes work well with few missed images even at full zoom. Macro shots from this camera are stunning.
Overall, the rz18 succeeds in its aim, as a cheap, fun, easy to use point and shoot with the bonus of a huge zoom.