Digital Interchangeable Lens System Camera The size of a compact with the outstanding performance of an SLR
Mississauga, ON – June 23, 2011
HOYA CORPORATION PENTAX Imaging Systems Division and PENTAX Canada Inc. are pleased to announce the launch of the PENTAX Q, the world’s smallest and lightest digital interchangeable lens system camera.*
The PENTAX Q was designed and developed for those looking for a more compact, maneuverable digital interchangeable-lens camera — a camera that can go anywhere and be used for all kinds of occasions more easily and freely. The PENTAX Q features a new generation imaging engine integrating the best of PENTAX’s state-of-the-art digital imaging technologies. Starting with a high-resolution back illuminated 1/2.3-inch CMOS image sensor, the PENTAX Q offers a full range of advanced features, including the newly developed, super-compact Q-mount lenses perfectly proportioned to the compact CMOS image sensor, and an innovative optical design unimpeded by an optical finder or a mirror.
The camera provides solid, dependable performance, thanks to such features as: approximately 12.4 effective megapixels to deliver high-quality, high-resolution still images and Full HD movies; high speed continuous shooting at a maximum speed of five images per second; low noise at high sensitivities up to ISO 6400; a large high-resolution wide viewing angle 3-inch LCD monitor and a high-quality magnesium-alloy body. It also offers such functional, user-friendly features as a multi-mode exposure system and a Custom Image function to give the optimum finishing touch to each image. Just like conventional DSLR models, the PENTAX Q is equipped with an in-body SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism and a DRII (Dust Removal II) anti-dust mechanism — so that even beginners can effortlessly capture beautiful, brilliant images free of blurring or dust spots. The PENTAX Q also offers the latest image-processing tools, including a bokeh control function to adjust the intensity of the out-of-focus effect around the subject to a desired level, as well as a creative Smart Effect function to produce highly artistic images with distinctive touches.
By adding the new Q mount to the existing K and 645 medium-format mounts, PENTAX now offers three different lens mount systems to further enhance the creativity and versatility of its digital interchangeable-lens camera systems.
Available in a choice of Black or White body colours, the PENTAX Q, along with five new interchangeable lenses specifically designed for use with the PENTAX Q, will start shipping in Canada in September 2011.
* The world’s smallest and lightest digital interchangeable lens system camera, as of June 15, 2011 (based on PENTAX’s research).
1. The world’s smallest, lightest camera body, featuring newly developed Q mount system
The PENTAX Q features the newly developed Q mount, with a mount diameter reduced to approximately two-thirds of that of the conventional K mount. This was made possible by reducing the flange back (the distance from the lens mount surface to the image sensor surface) to nearly one-fifth of that of the K mount, as well as by optimizing the size of image circle of its lenses to be proportioned to the size of the compact image sensor. The Q mount system also eliminates an optical finder, mirror box, focusing screen and AF sensor, making the PENTAX Q’s body the smallest and lightest in its class. The magnesium-alloy body gives an elegant, high-quality feel to the compact, lightweight design while improving its durability.
2. Exceptional image quality delivered by a digital interchangeable lens system camera
The PENTAX Q comes equipped with a back illuminated 1/2.3-inch CMOS image sensor, which delivers beautiful, high-resolution images with approximately 12.4 effective megapixels. This is made possible by its highly efficient light gathering optical construction that assures excellent high sensitivity and low noise characteristics and a high speed readout of image data signals. The PENTAX Q features a new generation imaging engine integrating the best of PENTAX’s state-of-the-art digital imaging technologies, developed and accumulated over many years of digital SLR camera development. By coupling this imaging engine with exclusively designed high performance Q mount lenses, the PENTAX Q delivers clear, high contrast images rich in gradation and texture, even at edges. With high sensitivity noise minimized, the user can use the entire sensitivity range, from ISO 125 to the highest ISO 6400, without worrying about annoying digital noise. By taking advantage of the HDR (High Dynamic Range) function that produces one composite photo from multiple images, it’s easy to create beautiful images with an extra wide dynamic range and free of blown out highlights and blocked up shadow areas.
3. Innovative creative tool to add personal touches to the images with great ease
The PENTAX Q offers a totally new style of photo shooting. By coupling the new Smart Effect function offering nine distinctive visual expressions via the easy access Quick-Dial positioned on the camera’s front panel, the user can effortlessly add a desired finishing touch to an image, while previewing the effect on the LCD monitor. The Quick-Dial has four positions, to which four favourite Smart Effect modes can be assigned in advance. The ever-popular Custom Image and Digital Filter functions have been further enhanced to provide an even greater range of image processing tools. In order to customize the PENTAX Q to accommodate specific shooting styles and user preferences, the user can also assign other options such as a custom image setting, a digital filter or an aspect ratio setting to the Quick-Dial.
• Brilliant Colour: Creates a lively atmosphere by raising the saturation level almost to the point of over colour saturation.
• Unicolour Bold: Creates an extremely high contrast image that retains one particular colour in the image.
• Vintage Colour: Produces a toy-camera-like effect, with a choice of several different finishing touches.
• Cross Processing: Produces a unique image with unusual colours, as if treated with the cross processing** used in film photography.
• Warm Fade: Creates a low contrast image with the white balance slightly shifted to pink shades.
• Tone Expansion: Produces a dramatic image with an artistic finishing touch, close to an intensified HDR (High Dynamic Range) effect.
• Bold Monochrome: Produces a low-key, high contrast image with enhanced sharpness.
• Water Colour: Creates a watercolour-like finishing touch.
• Vibrant Colour Enhance: Creates a flowery atmosphere with slightly enhanced contrast.
• USER: Used to enter a user-selected combination of custom image mode and digital filter.
** A film development technique that uses an unconventional film developer to create a distinctive finishing touch with dramatic colours.
4. High quality, Full HD movie recording
The PENTAX Q comes equipped with a Full HD movie recording function employing the H.264 recording format, allowing the user to capture high quality, extended movie clips (1920 x 1080 pixels) at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. You can also take advantage of interchangeable Q-mount lenses to produce distinctive perspectives, or make effective use of the Smart Effect modes*** and other in-body movie editing tools to produce creative, dramatic visual expressions with great ease, even during movie recording. The PENTAX Q has a micro-HDMI terminal (type D), which allows the user to simultaneously output both Full HD movie clips and sound to external devices via a single terminal.
*** The frame rate may vary when a selected Smart Effect mode requires non-standard image processing.
5. Effortless Bokeh control
The PENTAX Q comes equipped with newly developed Bokeh control function, which allows the user to capture the image with obtrusive objects in the field of view optimally defocused. With this function, the camera will automatically judge the focused subject as well as relative distance of each object from the camera in the field of view to apply optimal defocus effect to each object to make the main subject(s) stand out. This function will allow even a first-time digital photographer to easily capture the images with such effects as background defocus or foreground defocus that otherwise require a lot of photographic experience.
6. SR mechanism for sharp, blur-free images
The PENTAX Q incorporates the PENTAX-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which automatically shifts the CMOS image sensor to offset camera shake detected by the camera’s motion sensor. As a result, the PENTAX Q produces sharp, blur-free images even under demanding conditions that are prone to camera shake, such as when using a telephoto lens, shooting in the dark without flash illumination, or capturing landscapes in the twilight.
7. User-friendly features available only with digital interchangeable lens cameras
The PENTAX Q offers a host of user-friendly, functional features available only with digital interchangeable-lens cameras. Its top shutter speed of 1/2000 second freezes the decisive moment of the subject’s action. To accommodate user preferences and varying photographic applications, it also offers a choice of four different exposure modes: user-friendly Programmed AE (P) mode that automatically selects an optimum combination of aperture and shutter speed, Aperture-Priority AE (AV) and Shutter-Priority AE (TV) modes that allows the user to faithfully reproduce specific creative intentions on resulting images, and the Metered Manual (M) mode. Instantly switch from the P mode to the AV or TV mode with a simple turn of an electronic dial.
8. Large, wide view LCD monitor
The PENTAX Q features a large, easy-to-view, high resolution 3.0-inch colour LCD monitor with approximately 460,000 dots. Its wide view design assures a clear view of the monitor from approximately 170 degrees horizontally and vertically, making it particularly useful in low and high angle shooting.
9. Dependable DRII mechanism for effective dust removal
The PENTAX Q’s DRII (Dust Removal II) mechanism effectively prevents annoying dust spots from spoiling captured images. Like the PENTAX K-5 and 645D digital SLR cameras, the PENTAX Q incorporates a highly effective ultrasonic vibration mechanism, which vibrates the image sensor module at a high speed to shake the dust off its surface.
10. High speed continuous shooting at approximately five images per second
The PENTAX Q’s high speed burst shooting mode allows the user to record up to five images (in JPEG recording format) in a single sequence, at a maximum speed of approximately five images per second. This mode comes in handy when trying to capture the action of fast-moving subjects in a series of images.
11. Built-in auto flash with pop-up mechanism
The PENTAX Q comes with a built-in auto flash (guide number 7 at ISO 200/m). The user can either use it at the default position, or raise it to the pop-up position to widen its discharge angle to cover a 28mm angle of view (in the 35mm format).
12. Other features
1) TTL image-sensor metering, with a choice of multi-segment, center-weighted and spot modes
2) Contrast-detection autofocus system, with a face recognition function and 25 selectable focus points
3) CTE white-balance control mode to emphasize the predominant colour of a particular scene, such as the sunset
4) Auto Picture mode for effortless shooting
5) 21 scene modes, including new Forest and Stage Lighting options
6) A choice of image aspect ratios (4:3, 3:2, 16:9 or 1:1) to accommodate different subjects and applications
7) Multi-exposure mode (up to nine exposures on a single image), with an auto exposure compensation function
8) Interval shooting mode, convenient for recording the transition of landscapes and flowers/plants from the same location and angle over time
9) HDR mode produces an extra wide dynamic range composite photo from three images, one exposed normally, one over exposed and one under exposed
10) A choice of data storage medium: SD, SDHC and the new-standard SDXC**** memory cards
11) SILKY Developer Studio 3 for PENTAX RAW-data development software (developed by Ichikawa Soft Laboratory) included; in-camera RAW-data development is also possible
**** Not compatible with UHS Speed Class transfer rate.
External Viewfinder O-VF1
The External Viewfinder O-VF1 is designed for exclusive use with the new “PENTAX-01 STANDARD PRIME” prime standard lens. It offers a clear view of the subject even in bright sunshine. It also assures image viewing of the subject with no time lag — an important feature in snapshot and portrait photography where the timing of shutter release is crucial.
Camera Case O-CC115
Exclusively designed for the PENTAX Q, this camera case, available in black, white or red, has two strap lugs at its sides to keep the camera suspended in a level position, so that the photographer can quickly respond to unexpected shutter opportunities.
PENTAX Canada Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of HOYA CORPORATION PENTAX Imaging Systems Division of Japan and maintains offices in Mississauga. PENTAX Canada Inc. markets digital SLR and compact cameras, lenses, sport optics, closed circuit television lenses and medical equipment.
PENTAX on the web at www.pentax.ca