Offering movie recording, high-speed continuous shooting and user-friendly operation in a compact, lightweight body
Mississauga, ON – September 17, 2009
PENTAX Canada Inc. is pleased to announce the launch of the PENTAX K-x interchangeable lens digital SLR camera. The K-x combines solid photographic performance with a wide array of advanced features, including Live View function and high-quality movie recording, extending high-quality digital SLR photography to all users at an affordable price.
The K-x design is based on the PENTAX K-m digital SLR camera, popular for its compact, lightweight body and simple, user-friendly operation. However, this is where the similarities end. The K-x, with a newly designed CMOS image sensor and an upgraded high-performance imaging engine, offers outstanding photographic performance at nearly the same level as mid- to upper-class models, yet at a price that is comparable to most entry-level DSLR’s. The K-x offers high-resolution, fine-detailed images, super-high-sensitivity photography and high-speed continuous shooting. It also features an array of advanced functions, including Live View shooting and movie recording as well as creative functions designed to produce highly personalized images with great ease: an upgraded digital filter function to accommodate more sophisticated image processing, and a new cross process mode to produce unexpected, eye-catching finishing touches with unique, intriguing colours. The K-x will appeal to first-time digital SLR camera users as well as more experienced photographers who are looking to add a compact, lightweight yet full-featured body to their gear bag.
Along with the K-x, PENTAX will also launch the smc PENTAX-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED super-telephoto zoom lens as part of the K-x Twin Lens Kit package. This super-telephoto zoom lens has been designed to be lightweight without compromising the exceptional optical performance common to all PENTAX lenses.
The K-x Single Lens Kit, including the K-x body and the smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Lens will be available in Canada October 2009 at an anticipated retail price of CAD $699.99.
The K-x Twin Lens Kit including the K-x body, smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Lens and smc PENTAX-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED lens will be available in Canada October 2009 at an anticipated retail price of CAD $999.99.
1. High-quality image reproduction
(i) Approximately 12.4 effective megapixels for true-to-life image reproduction
The K-x incorporates a newly developed CMOS image sensor to assure high-speed image data readout and more flexible response to varying ISO sensitivity levels. With approximately 12.4 effective megapixels, this image sensor can faithfully and accurately reproduce true-to-life images with fine detail and rich colour depth. The K-x not only offers a wide sensitivity range between ISO 200 and ISO 6400, but also allows users to expand the sensitivity range between ISO 100 and ISO 12800 via a custom function, giving greater creative freedom to the more adventurous photographer.
(ii) High-performance, high-speed PRIME II imaging engine
The K-x features the PRIME (PENTAX Real Image Engine) II imagine engine, an upgrade of the original PRIME imaging engine. Thanks to new technologies supplied by Fujitsu Microelectronics Limited, this new imaging engine offers greater data processing speed and enhanced capability to produce higher-quality images with richer, more accurate colour rendition, as well as faster transmission speed of movie data.
2. Compact, lightweight body
Despite the incorporation of the large 23.6mm x 15.8mm image sensor, the K-x is one of the most compact, lightweight digital SLR cameras available. This is possible thanks to the combination of a compact, lightweight stainless-steel chassis, a downsized in-body shake reduction mechanism, and state-of-the-art, highly-integrated packaging methodologies that assure the most space-efficient positioning and layout of various parts.
3. Live View function with choice of three focusing modes
The K-x features the Live View function, which allows the user to view the image on the LCD monitor during shooting. The K-x offers a choice of three different focusing modes during Live View shooting: Contrast AF, which optimizes the focus based on the subject’s contrast; Face Detection AF, which automatically detects up to 16 faces, selects the main subject’s face from multiple faces, then captures it in sharp focus; and Phase Difference AF, which uses the AF sensor positioned in the camera body to optimize focus on the subject. Coupled with the half press focus activation, this gives unprecedented ease of use in Live View.
4. High-quality recording at 1280 x 720 pixels, with HDTV-proportion movie recording at 24 frames per second
The K-x’s movie recording function* captures beautiful, true-to-life movie clips in 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 24 frames per second. This extends the benefits of high-quality SLR photography to the world of movie shooting.
* When the PENTAX K-x’s AV output terminal is used, movie clips are output at normal resolution. The data must be transferred to a PC for the playback of movie clips at high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels).
5. PENTAX-original SR mechanism for sharp, blur-free images
The K-x features the PENTAX-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates the adverse effect of camera shake by as much as approximately four shutter steps, producing sharp, blur-free images even under demanding conditions, such as when using a telephoto lens, shooting in the dark without a flash illumination, and taking pictures of sunset scenes. This innovative mechanism works with almost all PENTAX interchangeable lenses — even those designed for film-format cameras.**
** Lenses compatible with this mechanism: PENTAX K-, KA-, KAF-, KAF2- and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mounted lenses (with an adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.
6. High-speed continuous shooting at approximately 4.7 images per second
The K-x’s high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 17 images (in JPEG recording format) at a maximum speed of approximately 4.7 images per second at 1/125 second shutter speed — the fastest of all entry-class models. The K-x also features a new shutter unit, which proved its dependability and ruggedness through a demanding action test of more than 100,000 shutter releases. Its top shutter speed of 1/6000 second allows the user to preserve sharp, crisp images of fast-moving subjects.
7. Innovative image processing functions to produce distinctive photographic effects
(i) Digital filter function
The K-x’s digital filter function allows the user to process recorded images in a variety of creative ways within the camera and produce highly creative visual expressions. With a choice of 16 different filters, the user can even apply different filters one after another to a single image to create more personalized visual effects.
(ii) Cross process mode
The K-x features the new cross process mode, in which the camera automatically and randomly shifts photographic parameters for each exposure to create eye-catching images with unique colours — just like pictures treated with the cross process*** in film photography. This playful mode adds the elements of surprise and unpredictability to digital photography as the user cannot expect the outcome until the captured image is actually displayed on the camera’s LCD monitor.
*** A film development technique that takes advantage of unconventional film developers to create a distinctive finishing touch with intriguing colours.
8. High-precision 11-point AF sensor
The K-x’s high-precision, wide-frame SAFOX VIII autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) to automatically capture even off-centered subjects in sharp, crisp focus. The user can also select from auto focusing point selection from 11 or 5 points or manually select any one of the sensors as the focusing point to accommodate specialized applications.
9. Other features
(1) Energy efficient circuit design for longer battery life, capable of capturing approximately 1,900 images with four AA-size lithium batteries
(2) Custom Image function to create unique finishing touches including the exclusive PENTAX B&W Infrared Mode
(3) DR (Dust Removal) mechanism to eliminate dust spots on recorded images and DUST ALERT to visually check for the adhesion of dust to the image sensor.
(4) 2.7-inch, high-resolution wide viewing angle colour LCD monitor with approximately 230,000 dots
(5) Auto Picture mode for effortless, automatic selection of the most appropriate shooting mode, even during Live View shooting
(6) HDR (high dynamic range) function to create one composite image with an extra-wide dynamic range from three different exposures
(7) White balance control, featuring a new CTE mode to emphasize the colour components of sunset scenes features preview of the white balance while adjusting settings. The white balance can be saved from an existing image
(8) Status screen for easy, at-a-glance confirmation and adjusting of various settings on the LCD monitor
(9) Ten scene modes, with selection via simple icons
(10) Automatic compensation for lens distortion and lateral chromatic aberration
(available only with DA and D FA series lenses)
(11) In camera RAW processing of single or multiple images is possible with adjustment of the image parameters.
(12) Includes the PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, with RAW-data processing and browser applications
smc PENTAX-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED lens
1. A lightweight super-telephoto zoom lens for focal lengths between 84.5mm and 460mm (in the 35mm format)
2. ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass optical elements to assure true-to-life image descriptions and faithful colour renditions through effective compensation of chromatic aberrations over the entire zoom range.
PENTAX Canada Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of HOYA CORPORATION PENTAX Imaging Systems Division of Japan and maintains offices in Mississauga. PENTAX Canada Inc. markets digital SLR and compact cameras, lenses, sport optics, closed circuit television lenses and medical equipment.
PENTAX on the web at www.pentax.ca
– Pentax K-x Hands-on Preview @ Imaging Resource
– Pentax K-x Product Photos Preview @ PhotographyBLOG
– Pentax K-x Brief Hands-on Preview @ DPReview
– Pentax K-x Hands-on Preview @ DigitalCameraReview
– Pentax K-x QuickFactSheet
– The K-x Single Lens Kit, including the K-x body and the smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Lens: USD $649.95 / CAD $699.99 / £599.99
– The K-x Twin Lens Kit including the K-x body, smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Lens and smc PENTAX-DA L 50-200mm lens: USD $749.95
– The K-x Twin Lens Kit including the K-x body, smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Lens and smc PENTAX-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED lens: USD $849.95 / CAD $999.99 / £749.99