This is an update to the previous blog, Nikon D6, the Most Advanced Professional DSLR to Date, and AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR Telephoto Zoom, a Professional Sports & Action Lens: Both are Currently Being Developed.
The following video presents D6 Product Tour:
“Nail the moment with crisp, sharp images and deliver with speed. The D6’s strong combination of powerful new AF system, speedier workflow, acclaimed image quality and absolute reliability is everything you need to get the winning shot.“
Right on time for the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics (Jul 24 – Aug 9), Nikon has announced its flagship D6, a full-frame DSLR with a new AF system (which it calls its most powerful ever), even faster workflow and a better interface for transmitting images — all geared to make it easier for professional sports photographers to get more focused shots and to provide more rapid data transfer to the press agencies they supply pictures to.
The following video presents D6 First Look:
“Learn from Nikon Canada’s Mark Cruz about the D6 and how it will help the working professional with its completely re-designed 105 point AF system and improved in-camera workflow.“
February 11, 2020
DECISIVE POWER. FASTER WORKFLOW. ABSOLUTE RELIABILITY: THE NEW NIKON D6 GIVES PROFESSIONALS THE EDGE WHEN IT MATTERS MOST
The New Nikon D6 Offers the Most Powerful AF System in Nikon’s History, and Continues the Brand Legacy of Professional Cameras That Deliver Connectivity, Dependability and Streamlined Workflow
MISSISSAUGA, ON – Today, Nikon Canada Inc. has unveiled the D6, a new professional-grade DSLR built for those in need of extreme reliability and ultimate performance. The D6 addresses the needs of professionals and press agencies, and is faster and more powerful than ever before. Offering the most powerful AF system in Nikon’s history, this flagship DSLR camera delivers crucial improvements to modern workflow while also accelerating file transfer capabilities. Promising unparalleled low-light performance, powerful agility, advanced 4K UHD multimedia capabilities and a mechanical shutter frame rate boosted to a staggering 14fps, the D6 will redefine the way pros work.
The Most Powerful AF in Nikon’s History: The D6 leaves nothing to chance. To maximize hit rate, it is equipped with a newly developed, densely packed 105-point AF system in which all the focus points utilize cross-type sensors and all points are selectable. Through the new focus point layout and the use of a triple-sensor arrangement for each focus point, the D6 achieves AF coverage that is approximately 1.6x denser than that of the D5. The D6 also sports an expanded focus detection range which increases the detection area for single point AF and dynamic area AF, making it easier to achieve focus on a subject even when slightly outside the focus point.
Improving upon Nikon’s popular Group AF mode, this function has evolved with support for 17 custom arrangements from which users can choose according to the scene or subject movement. The D6 also demonstrates superior low-light AF performance. The center focus point works down to -4.5 EV1 and the others to -4 EV, making autofocus possible even in dark situations or with low-contrast subjects.
Unparalleled Performance: The new EXPEED 6 engine’s superior image-processing capabilities combined with the vast amount of information provided by the new dedicated AF engine drives high-level performance in any situation. To help capture the decisive moment consistently, the D6 boasts a 14fps2 mechanical shutter with full AF and AE. The D6 can also shoot completely silent for sensitive situations capturing full resolution at 10.5 fps. For faster frame rates, the Nikon D6 is able to take 2-megapixel images at approx. 60 fps and 8-megapixel images at 30 fps in Live View mode.
The D6 leverages a 20.8-megapixel FX-Format CMOS sensor, creating images that pop with stunning detail, true colors and exhibiting incredible dynamic range. The ISO ranges from 100 to 102,400, which helps to preserve sharpness and subtle details in even the most challenging light. Additionally, ISO is expandable up to 3.2 million, giving photographers the ability to truly conquer the dark.
Concentration on Workflow: Building on Nikon’s history of serving professionals, the D6 is the most customizable Nikon DSLR yet, designed to speed up the workflow of any user during and after capture.
- Recall shooting functions create combinations of settings that can be assigned to a specific button to get the perfect shot in a pinch
- The D6 excels in connectivity and supports the same 1000BASE-T Ethernet standard as the D5, with an approximate 15% increase in transmission speed. The camera also supports a number of options for wireless networking, offering built-in 2.4- and 5-GHz*3 Wi-Fi®4 or traditional wireless transfer using the WT-6 Wireless Transmitter (optional)
- Includes 14 customizable buttons, assignable to any of 46 unique function choices and a new intuitive menu system
- Priority Image Transfer gives the ability to move an important image to the front of the queue when speed is of paramount priority, which can easily be done by swiping the touch LCD during playback
- Security Lock compatibility supports connection of anti-theft cables to provide maximum security for remote applications or when the camera is unattended
- Built in GPS5 gives accurate time, date and location information for just about anywhere on the planet
- Dual CFexpress6 slots offer blazing fast read/write times and have the ability to overflow, copy or separate file types
- JPEG functions allow for the simultaneous recording of two JPEG images with different image size and quality settings, which is convenient for separating images that will be transmitted from those that will be edited
- Creativity options for multimedia creators including a new interval timer mode to retain the best resolution and enable in-camera time-lapse movie file recording providing professionals the ability to create exceptionally sharp 16:9 4K Ultra HD video
Absolute Reliability: Nikon’s flagship cameras remain trusted in the industry and have been proven on the sidelines, in the studio and even in outer space. With a magnesium alloy camera body and extensively weather-sealed design, the D6 is as tough as the professionals who use it, ready to take on the harshest shooting conditions. The camera offers long-lasting battery life, delivering the safety net and energy-saving performance that pros need on daylong outings. The D6 also employs a USB-Type C connector for faster direct-to-PC file transfer rates than previously possible with the D5.
Endless Lens Choices: By pairing the D6 with Nikon’s extremely diverse selection of F-Mount NIKKOR telephoto lenses, professionals have the most advanced imaging solution in Nikon’s history. No matter the job, the client or the location, there’s a NIKKOR lens, from the ultra-wide to the super-telephoto. The D6 is also compatible with Nikon’s line of creative Speedlights, offering extra creative freedom to enhance natural light and add artistry and drama to any scene.
Pricing and Availability
The new Nikon D6 will be available in Spring 2020 for a manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) of $8,999.95* CAD. For more information on the latest Nikon products, please visit www.nikon.ca.
[Editor’s note: In the US, the new Nikon D6 will be available in April 2020 for a suggested retail price (SRP) of $6,499.95* USD for the body only configuration.
*SRP (Suggested Retail Price) listed only as a suggestion. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.]
Nikon is a world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo and video capture technologies; globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for an award-winning array of equipment that enable visual storytelling and content creation. Nikon Canada Inc. distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories, Nikon COOLPIX® compact digital cameras and Nikon software products, as well as the revolutionary Nikon Z series of mirrorless cameras and NIKKOR Z lenses, which achieve a new dimension in optical performance. In 2018, Nikon Corporation, the parent company of Nikon Canada Inc., announced the production of 110 million NIKKOR lenses, creating a new milestone in Nikon’s heritage of superior optics. For more information, visit www.nikon.ca, which links all levels of photographers and visual storytellers to the Web’s most comprehensive learning and sharing communities. Connect with Nikon Canada on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
1 At ISO 100, 20°C/68°F.
2 With continuous-servo AF (AF-C), manual (M) or shutter-priority auto exposure (S), a shutter speed of 1/250 s or faster, and other settings at default values are trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Nikon Corporation and its Affiliates is under license.
3 Available in station mode; not available in some countries or regions.
4 Wi-Fi® and the Wi-Fi® logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
5 GPS function is not available in some countries or regions.
6 CFexpress is a trademark of the CompactFlash Association in the United States and other countries.
* MSRP (Suggested Retail Price) listed only as a suggestion. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.
– Specifications, equipment and release dates are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
– All Nikon products include Nikon Inc. limited warranty. Images are for illustrative purposes only. All Nikon trademarks are trademarks of Nikon Corporation. Nikon Authorized Dealers set their own selling prices, which may vary. Nikon is not responsible for typographical errors.
– All other trade names mentioned in this document are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
Please support this site. Pre-order / buy the Nikon D6 camera and accessories from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):
- Nikon D6 DSLR Camera (Body Only)
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S Lens
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 VR Lens
La vidéo suivante présente D6 Le premiere regard:
“Stéphane Bédard de Nikon Canada nous fait découvrir le D6 et comment il peut aider les photographes professionnels avec son tout nouveau système AF à 105 points et son flux de travail amélioré.“
La vidéo suivante présente D6 Tour Du Produit: