Last updated in September 2017, fans of the compact rangefinder-style X-E series wondered if they would ever see an update to the X-E3. Now, at last the X-E4 is here. It inherits most of Fujifilm’s latest X Series mirrorless technology, including the latest 26.1MP X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor, the X-Processor 4 image processing engine, and 2.16M phase detection AF pixels covering approx. 100% of the frame for improved Face/Eye AF, Low Light AF and Tracking AF.
The X-E4 is billed as the most compact X Series camera. When compared to the X-E3, it retains the same width, shaves 1mm from the height, and about 10mm from the depth (probably due to the removal of the fingergrip). It gains 27g in weight. The flat design allows the X-E4 with a pancake lens attached to easily fit into a small bag or jacket pocket, but being an interchangeable lens camera, its compactness will depend on what lens is attached to it.
The X-E4 features a 2.36M-dot EVF. It gains a flip-up-180°-to-face-forward LCD but loses the rear control dial. It records 4K/30P 4:2:0 8-bit video to internal media, or 4K/30P 4:2:2 10-bit video via its HDMI port. It can record full-HD video at 240fps for 10x slow motion playback. You get 18 film simulations, including Velvia and ETERNA Bleach Bypass. The X-E4 does not have IBIS (in-body image stabilization) and is not weather resistant.
Fujifilm Announces New FUJIFILM X-E4 Mirrorless Camera
The most portable mirrorless camera in the X-Series lineup
Valhalla, N.Y. – January 27, 2021 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is pleased to announce FUJIFILM X-E4 digital camera (X-E4), a new mirrorless rangefinder-style camera in the FUJIFILM X Series lineup.
The lightweight, compact X-E4 features the same 26.1-megapixel, X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor, 0.02 sec autofocus, and fantastic color science that can be found in all the professional X Series cameras.
“Outstanding image quality, wide dynamic range, and superb low-light performance combine with simple controls, advanced Face and Eye Detection, and a forward-180° tilting LCD touchscreen to make this camera a joy to use for video or photo,” said Victor Ha, senior director of marketing and product management at FUJIFILM North America Corporation’s Electronic Imaging Division.
Main product features:
X Series’ lightest and smallest camera body
- At .80 lb. (364g) and measuring 4.77in x 2.87in x 1.28in (121.3mm x 72.9mm x 32.7mm), X-E4 is the most compact interchangeable-lens camera in the X Series of digital cameras. The product uses Fujifilm’s 4th generation sensor and processor. To maintain its slim and sleek design, a rear tilting LCD screen has also been carefully designed to ensure the body remains as thin and portable as possible.
- The camera’s compact design is influenced by the design of classic film cameras. Both the front and rear grips are flat to give it a classic aesthetic, while the top plate of the camera body is carefully molded from magnesium to provide a polished, elevated finish.
Diverse functions and easy operation
- The rear tilting monitor can be flipped upward and forward facing up to 180 degrees, which can accommodate a wide variety of compositions, from high to low angle, as well as selfies and vlog-style videos.
- The top panel includes a shutter speed dial that can be set manually or switched to Program Mode (P) if fully automatic functionality is required.
- Controls have also been concentrated to front-side dials to give extra thumb space for maximum in-hand comfort.
- Using Fujifilm’s state-of-the-art 26.1MP X-Trans™ CMOS 4 sensor and the high-speed image processing engine X-Processor 4 to provide incredibly fast autofocus, X-E4 uses phase detection autofocus points across almost 100% of the sensor to acquire focus in as fast as 0.02 seconds. It is also able to track moving subjects with an advanced AF-tracking algorithm, ensuring that images can be captured when the focus is optimal.
- X-E4 also includes Fujifilm’s latest Face and Eye detection technology to track subjects accurately, even in luminance levels as low as -7.0EV where used with an attached FUJINON XF50mmF1.0 R WR lens.
Extensive video-recording functions
- X-E4 oversamples 6K footage to record 4K/30P 4:2:0 8-bit video to internal media, or 4K/30P 4:2:2 10-bit video via its HDMI port.
- The camera can also deliver high-speed, full-HD video at 240fps, which can be used to replay fast-moving subjects up to 10x slower compared to footage recorded at 24fps.
Variety of film simulations
- A total of 18 film simulations are available with the X-E4, including Velvia, which is characterized by highly saturated colors and crisp gradation, and ETERNA Bleach Bypass, which reproduces a traditional dark-room processing technique to create unique images with low saturation and high contrast.
Pricing and Availability
X-E4 is currently expected to be available in March 2021 at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $849.95 USD and $1,100 CDN. The camera will also be available as a kit that includes the FUJINON XF27mmF4 R WR lens at a manufacturer’s retail price of $1049.95 and $1,350 CDN.
Several accessories will be available for X-E4 as well, including:
- BLC- XE4 (Black Leather Case): $79.99 MSRP USD/$105 CDN
- MHG-X-E4 (Metal Hand Grip, Black only): $89.99 MSRP USD/$120 CDN
- TR-X-E4 (Thumb Rest, Black): $69.99 MSRP USD/$95 CDN
- TR-X-E4 (Thumb Rest, Silver): $69.99 MSRP USD/$95 CDN
For more information, please visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/cameras/x-e4/.
This camera was part of a launch of five new camera and lens products as part of Fujifilm’s Global X-Summit. For more information on the other products launched, please click below:
XF27mmF2.8 R WR lens: https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/news/2021/0127_47299/
GF80mmF1.7 R WR lens: https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/news/2021/0127_47303/
GFX100S mirrorless digital camera: https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/news/2021/0127_47305/
XF70-300mmF4-5.6 R LM OIS WR lens: https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/news/2021/0127_47304/
FUJIFILM North America Corporation, a marketing subsidiary of FUJIFILM Holdings America Corporation, consists of five operating divisions and one subsidiary company. The Imaging Division provides consumer and commercial photographic products and services, including: photographic paper; digital printing equipment, along with service and support; personalized photo products; film; one-time-use cameras; and the popular INSTAX™ line of instant cameras and accessories. The Electronic Imaging Division markets consumer digital cameras, lenses, and content creation solutions, and the Graphic Systems Division supplies products and services to the graphic printing industry. The Optical Devices Division provides optical lenses for the broadcast, cinematography, closed circuit television, videography and industrial markets, and also markets binoculars and other optical imaging solutions. The Industrial and Corporate New Business Development Division delivers new products derived from Fujifilm technologies. FUJIFILM Canada Inc. sells and markets a range of FUJIFILM products and services in Canada.
For more information, please visit https://www.fujifilm.com/us/en, go to https://www.twitter.com/fujifilmus to follow Fujifilm on Twitter, or go to https://www.facebook.com/FujifilmNorthAmerica to like Fujifilm on Facebook.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation, Tokyo, Japan, brings cutting edge solutions to a broad range of global industries by leveraging its depth of knowledge and fundamental technologies developed in its relentless pursuit of innovation. Its proprietary core technologies contribute to the various fields including healthcare, graphic systems, highly functional materials, optical devices, digital imaging and document products. These products and services are based on its extensive portfolio of chemical, mechanical, optical, electronic and imaging technologies. For the year ended March 31, 2020, the company had global revenues of $21 billion, at an exchange rate of 109 yen to the dollar. Fujifilm is committed to responsible environmental stewardship and good corporate citizenship. For more information, please visit: https://www.fujifilmholdings.com
– Technical SPecifications
– Sample Images
Please support this site. Pre-Order / Buy the Fujifilm X-E4 from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):
– X-E4 Mirrorless Camera, Black
– X-E4 Mirrorless Camera, Silver
– X-E4 Mirrorless Camera with XF 27mm f/2.8 R WR Lens, Black
– X-E4 Mirrorless Camera with XF 27mm f/2.8 R WR Lens, Silver