This is an update to these previous blogs:
- Panasonic Unveils the Lightweight, Compact 4K Super 35 VariCam LT Cinema Camcorder: Replaceable EF Lens Mount, Same Super 35mm Sensor as Varicam 35, Dual Native ISO of 800/5000, 2K/HD 240p Slow Motion, Expansive Color Gamut, IR Shooting, and
- Panasonic Teaser: New Cinema VARICAM Camera to Be Unveiled in Los Angeles, California, USA on February 10, 2016, 7PM – 10PM (PST).
Panasonic offers three VariCam cameras.
- The new, one-piece cinema VariCam LT 4K and the top-of-the-line, two-piece cinema VariCam 35 4K, both featuring the same Super 35mm MOS image sensor for acquisition of movies, TV episodics, documentaries and live events.
- The VariCam HS is a 2/3″ camera that features high-speed 1080p image capture of up to 240fps for sports and slow-motion applications.
The following video presents Panasonic VariCam LT – Hands-On & Exclusive 4K Footage:
Narrated segment by Sebastian Wöber
Original VariCam LT Footage segment:
Resolution: 4K 24p, Codec: AVC-Intra 4K 4:2:2, Gamma: V-Log (graded)
DP: Matthias Bollinger (www.matthias-bolliger.de)
Panasonic designated the new Varicam LT as “The Next Generation in Digital Cinema Innovation.
This is the next generation of digital cinema innovation. Even in dimly lit scenes, which are particularly important in film production, the VariCam LT provides low-noise images without any compromise to picture quality.
We also see this being popular in the freelance market and with documentary camera operators, who require a true 4K camera that is designed for single operator field use.
Luc Bara, Technical Product Manager for Panasonic
More Sample Footages Shot with ISO5000 on Panasonic Varicam LT:
Shot on VariCam LT at NY and NJ.
All the dark scenes are shot with ISO5000.
Dejan Georgevich, ASC Cinematographer.
The new Varicam LT’s key features include:
- 35mm Single-Chip MOS Sensor (same as V35, but it’s smaller, lighter and more affordable).
- Cost efficient in both operation and workflow due to in-camera colour grading, AVC-Ultra codec and multiple recording formats (4K/UHD/2K/HD proxy).
- Lightweight & Compact design:
5.95 lb (2.7 kg) (body only)
7-1/4 inches x 9-1/8 inches x 9-3/4 inches (184 mm x 230.5 mm x 247 mm) Body only, excluding protrusion
- 14+ stops of dynamic range in V-Log, plus the renowned VariCam image quality and color science.
- Dual native 800/5000 ISO imager. With ISO5000, you see more detail than the human eye at low light levels (without adding noise).
- Image handling in multiple formats ranging from 4K, UHD, 2K, HD and HD ProRes, all fully capable of High Dynamic Range (HDR) capture.
- EF mount accommodates a wide choice of lenses for smaller cameras; can be switched out to a robust standard 35mm PL mount.
- XpressP2 card slot recording for all formats including high frame rate and HD/2K/UHD and 4K recording; SD slot for high-resolution proxy recording as well as proxy files for offline edit/color grading.
- Optical Filter: ND Filters: CLEAR/0.6/1.2/1.8 | IR cut filter removable.
- New Codecs: AVC-Intra2K-LT and AVC-Intra-LT for capturing frame rates up to 240fps.
4096/3840: up to 60p (Full Frame)
2048/1920: up to 60p (Full Frame)
2048/1920: up to 240p (Cropped, allowing 240fps for slow motion in both HD and 2K.)
- The VariCam LT supports both Panasonic and third party viewfinders and comes with a number of optional extras including shoulder mount, grip and PL mount.
For more info and specifications of the Panasonic Varicam LT, please visit http://business.panasonic.com/VARICAM+LT.html .
You can pre-order / buy the Panasonic VARICAM cameras at B&H: