This is an update to the previous blog, Panasonic Develops LUMIX S1H Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera With 6K Cinema-Quality Video and World’s First Video Recording at 6K/24p (3:2 Aspect Ratio), 5.9K/30p (16:9 Aspect Ratio) and 10-bit 60p 4K/C4K: Compact & Lightweight, Multiple Formats Including 4:3 Anamorphic Mode, V-Log/V-Gamut With a Wide Dynamic Range of 14+ Stops.
The following video presents [NEW] LUMIX S | Behind-the-scenes of filming with LUMIX S1H:
“This is behind-the-scenes of filming with the LUMIX S1H full-frame mirrorless camera…“
PANASONIC CANADA LAUNCHES THE LUMIX S1H, A NEW FULL-FRAME MIRRORLESS CAMERA
New camera features cinema-quality video with 6K/24p recording capability
MISSISSAUGA, ON (August 27, 2019) – Panasonic announces the LUMIX S1H, a new Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera equipped with a full-frame image sensor combining the professional- level video quality and high mobility of the mirrorless camera. The LUMIX S1H is capable of video recording at 6K/24p (3:2 aspect ratio), 5.9K/30p (16:9 aspect ratio) and 10-bit 60p 4K/C4K. *1 *2 making it a professional tool for film making and beyond.
The Panasonic LUMIX S1H will be available at select Canadian retailers and the Panasonic eStore in October 2019 with an MSRP of $5,399.99 (CDN).
Cinema-quality video recording performance
- Outstanding video recording capability is the top feature of the LUMIX S1H and the one that makes it a professional tool for film making. The S1H contains a 24.2-megapixel 35mm full- frame CMOS sensor that captures 6K resolution.
- The LUMIX S1H also features dual-native ISO sensitivity. This results in a camera that can switch from a standard sensitivity to a high sensitivity with almost no increase in noise. Dual Native ISO gives cinematographers a greater variety of artistic choices as well as the ability to use less light on the set, saving time.
- Maximizing the use of the pixels in the full-frame image sensor, the LUMIX S1H, as a digital camera, has achieved 6K/24p, 5.4K/30p (3:2 aspect ratio) or 5.9K/30p (16:9 aspect ratio) high-resolution, smooth video recording. Its high-resolution data can also be used for creating 4K videos with higher image quality or for cropping images in 4K.
- The LUMIX S1H delivers 14+ stops of Dynamic Range, much like the Panasonic Cinema Cameras, to precisely reproduce everything from dark to bright areas.
- A must for any filmmaker, the LUMIX S1H can capture accurate colors and rich skin tones. The LUMIX S1H contains V-Log/V-Gamut capture to deliver a high dynamic range and broad colors and the CMOS sensor achieves a wide color gamut.
- The LUMIX S1H is capable of 4:2:2 10-bit 4K 60p HDMI output and accommodates a variety of recording formats, including 4:3 Anamorphic mode, to meet professional needs.
High reliability to support professional work
- The LUMIX S1H integrates the Body Image Stabilizer (I.S.) for powerful handshake correction. Combining the Body I.S. (5-axis) in the camera and the Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.), 2-axis in the LUMIX S Series lens, the 5-axis Dual I.S. 2 compensates for larger movements that were conventionally uncontrollable.
- To achieve stable, continuous video recording, heat dispersion is a crucial issue and Panasonic designed a cooling fan with an innovative structure that efficiently disperses heat exclusively for the LUMIX S1H to support its limitless video recording capability.
- To be tough enough to withstand heavy field use, the main structure is composed of a magnesium alloy full die-cast top/front/rear frame. Robust construction and a sealing make the LUMIX S1H not only splash resistant*4 and dust resistant*4 but also freeze resistant down to -10 degrees Centigrade.
- The LUMIX S1H is equipped with a double SD Memory Card slot. Users can flexibly choose the recording method from Relay Recording, Backup Recording or Allocation Recording which enables saving video and photo data in a separate card. The 7.4-V 3,050 mAh high- capacity battery achieves a long recording time of approximately 2 hours in all recording modes*5.
Expandability for creative freedom
- The LUMIX S1H complies with 4:2:2 10-bit 4K 60p/50p HDMI output and is compatible with Time Code IN/OUT synchronization, making the non-linear editing of footage shot with multiple cameras easy.
- A variety of accessories can be used for the LUMIX S1H in common with the S1R and S1 including but not limited to a Microphone Adaptor, Remote Shutter, Eyecup, Battery Grip, Battery Charger.
- Compatibility with Bluetooth 4.2 enables constant connection with a smartphone or tablet with minimum power consumption. The settings of a LUMIX S1H camera can also be copied and transmitted wirelessly to other S1H cameras when using multiple S1H cameras. Also, Wi-Fi 5-GHz (IEEE802.11ac)*6 is effective in addition to 2.4-GHz (IEEE802.11b/g/n.) providing secure and stable connection to other devices.
- The LUMIX Sync application for iOS*7 and Android*8 devices enables photo transmission to a smartphone or a tablet via easy wireless connection and allows remote control of the camera using these devices. Application software LUMIX Tether enables tethered shooting via USB allowing users to control the camera by connecting it to a PC via USB to view the image on a large PC screen while shooting.
High operability for intuitive control
- The LUMIX S1H employs three large, high-resolution display devices for smooth confirmation of images on the spot and for high visibility in outdoor use. Adopting a new mechanical structure, it achieves both tilt and rotation movement so that users can easily change angles without unplugging cables. Live View Boost is another practical feature that makes it possible to check the composition even in total darkness by boosting the sensitivity just for live view. It also incorporates a Night Mode that provides mild backlighting and it lets the user watch the subject comfortably even right after viewing the monitor while in a dark situation for a long time.
- The Live View Finder (LVF) is the key factor for completing the ultra high-speed response of the camera. The LUMIX S1H, as well as the S1R/S1, has the largest level of Real View Finder, which boasts the world’s highest level of 5,760k-dot resolution. Adoption of a high- speed, high-precision OLED for the LVF achieves a smooth display at 60 fps/120 fps (switchable) and high-speed response with minimum time lag of approximately 0.005 sec as well as 10,000:1 high contrast for exceptional visibility. With minimum distortion and high optical performance, this Real View Finder provides a natural view as seen with the naked eye.
- The new Status LCD boasts the largest-in-class level of 1.8-inch size and high resolution. Adopting Memory In Pixel (MIP) technology, it consumes minimum power and is ideal for always-on use even when the camera power is off. It assures high visibility both in bright outdoor and in dark situations thanks to the reflective type of LCD with a backlight. Major settings for photo shooting or video recording are displayed.
- The LUMIX S1H has multiple Fn buttons on its body front allowing quick access to the designated functions. A sub video button is also available in front so that the user can reach the button from the left side.
High photo shooting performance as a digital camera
- The LUMIX S1H is capable of shooting images in 14-bit RAW format for precise reproduction of details. The LUMIX S1H provides a High Resolution mode that faithfully captures even tiny details to be saved as beautiful, highly realistic RAW images. This mode is suitable for taking natural landscapes or fine arts with delicate details.
- Panasonic has achieved a high-speed AF with its advanced control technology over the major devices including the lens, sensor and imaging engine. Combining the Contrast AF with DFD technology, the LUMIX S1H realizes an ultra high-speed, high-precision AF of approximately 0.08 sec*9. The LUMIX S1H also boasts high-speed burst shooting at 9 fps (AFS) or 6 fps (AFC). With its high subject tracking performance, it never loses the target subject. As a camera that excels in low-light shooting, the LUMIX S1H boasts -6EV*10 luminance detection performance with Low Light AF thanks to the higher sensitivity and optimized tuning of the sensor. The face/eye detection technology makes it possible to capture people in crisp focus.
- The LUMIX S1H also incorporates Advanced AI Technology that detects specific subjects including humans and fast-moving animals. The camera keeps tracking these subjects even when they turn their back to the camera.
- For more continuous burst shooting, 6K PHOTO*11 makes it possible to capture unmissable moments at 30 fps by extracting the frame with the best timing out of a 6K burst file (in 4:3 or 3:2 aspect ratio) to save as an approximate 18-megapixel equivalent high-resolution photo. 4K PHOTO enables 60-fps high-speed captures in approximate 8-megapixel equivalent resolution. In 6K PHOTO/4K PHOTO, three exclusive modes can be chosen from depending on the situation; 6K Burst/4K Burst, 6K Burst (Start/Stop)/4K Burst (Start/Stop) and 6K Pre- burst/4K Pre-burst. Users can choose the most suitable burst shooting mode in addition to the regular consecutive shooting mode in full resolution depending on the situation.
- The HLG*12Photo mode is a whole new style of photo expression available with the S1H providing a wider dynamic range to reproduce light and shadow with more natural contrast and excels in the expression of lights, such as sparkling starlight or glaring sunlight.
- The high-precision shutter unit offers the highest shutter speed at a maximum 1/8000 second to capture spur-of-the-moment, fast-moving subjects and to use a high-speed lens with a fully open aperture even outdoors for impressive defocusing. The external flash can be synchronized with the industry’s fastest shutter speed of a maximum 1/320 second.*13*14
- The Highlight Weighted Light Metering Mode meters light with the priority on highlighted parts, to prevent them from washing out.
*1 In Super 35mm-equivalent size.
*2 Corresponding to 4K (4096×2160) as defined by Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI).
*3 When recording mode is set to V-Log. The sensitivity varies depending on the recording mode.
*4 Dust and Splash Resistant does not guarantee that damage will not occur if this camera is subjected to direct contact with dust and water.
*5 When the battery is fully charged. The recordable time varies depending on the shooting condition and settings.
*6 5GHz Wi-Fi is not available in some countries.
*7 iOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license.
*8 Android and Google Play are trademarks or registered trademarks of Google Inc.
*9 11EV, at wide-end with S-R24105 (CIPA) in LVF120 fps setting.
*10 At ISO100, F1.4, AFS
*11 6K PHOTO’ is a high speed burst shooting function that cuts a still image out of a 4:3 or 3:2 video footage with approx.18-megapixel (approx. 6000 x 3000 effective pixel count) that the 6K image manages.
*12 “HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)” is an international standard (ITU-R BT.2100) HDR format.
*13 “HSP” is an HDR picture format using HLG format video technology.
*14 The guide number decreases when the shutter speed is set to 1/320 of a second.
•L-Mount is a trademark or registered trademark of Leica Camera AG.
•Wi-Fi® is a registered trademark of Wi-Fi Alliance®
•The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Panasonic Corporation is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
•SDXC and SDXC Logo is a trademark of SD-3C, LLC.
•Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
About Panasonic Canada Inc.
A subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation of North America, Panasonic Canada Inc. provides a broad line of digital and other electronics products and solutions to meet consumer, business and industrial needs. Consumers seeking more information on the company’s products can visit Panasonic’s home page at www.panasonic.com.
Follow Panasonic Canada
For the latest news and updates, visit Panasonic Canada’s social channels:
The following video presents [NEW] LUMIX S | S1H Short Film “Kepler 138” shot by Jacob Schwarz:
“This film is shot by Jacob Schwarz (MYSTERY BOX) with LUMIX S1H.
“ ‘Kepler 138’ is the emotional story of Charles, a blind father who connects with his daughter Claire,
and how a space mission to explore new worlds guides them both to see. A short film that crafts a dramatic and emotionally stirring short film reminding viewers that love transcends time and space.”“
If the Panasonic LUMIX S1H is the right camera for you, please support this site. Pre-order / Buy the Panasonic LUMIX S1H Camera and Accessories from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):
- Panasonic LUMIX S1H Camera and Accessories
- Panasonic Lumix S1H Mirrorless Digital Camera Filmmaker’s Kit