This is an update to the previous blog, Panasonic Announces Development of 2 Professional S Series Full-Frame Mirrorless Cameras: the S1R (47-MP) and the S1 (24-MP).
Panasonic LUMIX S1R:
The following video presents [NEW] LUMIX S | Through the Eyes of Professionals – Annie Griffiths I (Full Version):
“The hands-on impression of LUMIX S Series camera and the lens by LUMIX Ambassador Annie Griffiths.”
Panasonic LUMIX S1:
The following video presents [NEW] LUMIX S | Through the Eyes of Professionals – Griffin Hammond:
“The hands-on impression of LUMIX S Series camera and the lens by LUMIX Ambassador Griffin Hammond.”
PANASONIC CANADA ANNOUNCES TWO NEW LUMIX S SERIES FULL-FRAME MIRRORLESS CAMERAS
Industry-leading high-resolution capabilities and video recording performance come together in the LUMIX S1R and S1
MISSISSAUGA, ON (February 1, 2019) – Panasonic Canada is proud to introduce the full specifications of its long-awaited first full-frame Digital Single Lens Mirrorless cameras, the LUMIX S1R and S1. These new models are equipped with a 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor with unprecedented image quality and high-resolution, rich gradation, and superior colour reproduction. The LUMIX S Series boasts industry-leading video recording performance (4K 60p/50p*1), intuitive control, a rugged design for heavy field use, durability and expandability.
The LUMIX S1R and S1 will be available at select Canadian retailers and at the Panasonic Canada e-store in March 2019 with an MSRP of $4,999.99 CDN (body only), and $3,499.99 (body only), respectively.
- High picture quality made possible by the first LUMIX full-frame mirrorless camera
- The LUMIX S1R integrates a 47.3-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor (36mm x 24mm), which gives it the industry’s highest level of resolution in the full-frame mirrorless cameras*2 category. In addition to the precise reproduction capability in detail, this sensor achieves a high S/N ratio by taking advantage of its high light-condensing efficiency despite the large number of pixels. The LUMIX S1R features a High-Resolution mode for the first time as a mirrorless full-frame camera to enable 187-megapixel ultra-high precision photo shooting.
- The LUMIX S1 comes with a 24.2-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor (35.6mm x 23.8mm) that provides a wide dynamic range and excellent performance at high sensitivity in addition to a natural yet sharp image description thanks to sufficient light condensation per pixel. The LUMIX S1 supports professional use in videography by taking advantage of the stunning expression performance that a full-frame camera can offer. It records smooth 4K 60p video and enables full-pixel readout of signals in 4K 30p/25p*1 to save truly beautiful footage. Furthermore, the LUMIX S1 will comply with 4:2:2 10-bit 4K 30p/25p*1 internal video recording and 4K 60p HDMI output as well as V-Log, with a software upgrade key (to be sold separately) following soon in 2019.
- An AR coating applied on the sensor of the LUMIX S1R and S1 minimizes ghost and flare even in backlighting. In combination with the high-quality LUMIX S Series lenses based on the L-Mount, this further enhances the potential of the camera.
- The LUMIX S1R/S1 integrates the Body I.S. (Image Stabilizer) for powerful handshake correction, enabling more accurate shake detection and compensation.
- High-speed, high-precision AF system
- The LUMIX S Series provides a high-speed, high-precision AF system based on advanced control technology over the lens, the sensor, and the new Venus Engine, which enables the user to capture the target in sharp focus without fail.
- Combining the Contrast AF with DFD technology, the LUMIX S1R/S1 realizes an ultra-high-speed, high-precision AF of approximately 0.08 sec*3 and boasts high speed burst shooting at 9 fps (AFS) or 6 fps (AFC).
- The LUMIX S1R/S1 boasts -6EV*4 luminance detection performance with Low Light AF due to higher sensitivity and optimized tuning of the sensor.
- The LUMIX S1R/S1 advanced technology, Eye AF, detects the pupil of the eye and precisely focuses on it for impressive portrait shooting. AI technology also detects specific subjects – humans and fast-moving animals, including dogs, cats and birds to track these subjects even when they turn their back to the camera.
- For continuous burst shooting, 6K PHOTO*5 makes it possible to capture unmissable moments at 30 fps by extracting the frame with the best timing out of a 6K burst file to save as an approximate 18-megapixel equivalent high-resolution photo. The 4K PHOTO enables 60-fps high-speed captures in approximate 8-megapixel equivalent resolution.
- Operability from ingenuity for intuitive control
- The LUMIX S1R/S1 has the largest level of Real View Finder which boasts the world’s highest 5,760k-dot resolution and boasts Live View Finder (LVF) for ultra-high-speed response.
- The LUMIX S1R/S1 provides a firm grip, making it easy to hold for long periods. The control buttons and dials are located based on an ergonomic study to enable the user to concentrate on shooting.
- Rugged design, reliability and expandability
- The LUMIX S1R/S1 main structure is composed of a magnesium alloy full die-cast front/rear frame and is splash resistant*, dust resistant*, and also freeze resistant down to -10 degrees Centigrade.
- Outstanding video recording performance in a full-frame camera
- The LUMIX S1R boasts 4K 60p video recording for more creative freedom, including a variety of effects available for video recording.
- The LUMIX S1 features outstanding video performance for professional videography with 4K 60p recording, no recording time limit*6 for both 4K 30p/25p*1/24p and Full-HD video, HDR (High Dynamic Range) video recording, and High-Speed Video to record slow motion video in 4K.
- LINE input is supported by a 3.5-mm microphone jack to input sounds from an external audio device, for more efficient video production.
- Other LUMIX S1R & LUMIX S1 Features
- Photo style featuring a new Flat Mode
- Variable Aspect Ratios with new 65:24 and 2:1
- I.S. Status Scope
- Flicker Decrease
*Not available in 6K PHOTO, 4K PHOTO and Post Focus.
- Highlight Weighted Light Metering Mode
- New AWBw Auto White Balance Mode
- Bluetooth 4.2 and Wi-Fi 5GHz (IEEE802.11ac) / 2.4GHz (IEEE802.11b/g/n)
- Lumix Tether
- Lumix Sync
*1 PAL area only
*2 As a Digital Single Lens Mirrorless Camera, as of February 1, 2019.
*3 11EV, at wide-end with S-R24105 (CIPA) in LVF120 fps setting.
*4 At ISO100, F1.4, AFS
*5 6K PHOTO’ is a high-speed burst shooting function that cuts a still image out of a 4:3 or 3:2 video footage with approx.18-megapixel (approx. 6000 x 3000 effective pixel count) that the 6K image manages.
*6 Maximum 29 minutes 59 seconds in 4K60p until the SD Memory Card becomes full or the battery runs out.
* When the ambient temperature is high or continuous recording is performed, the camera may stop the recording to protect itself
*Dust and Splash Resistant does not guarantee that damage will not occur if this camera is subjected to direct contact with dust and water
About Panasonic Canada Inc.
A subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation of North America, Panasonic Canada Inc. provides a broad line of digital and other electronics products and solutions to meet consumer, business and industrial needs. Consumers seeking more information on the company’s products can visit Panasonic’s home page at www.panasonic.com.
Follow Panasonic Canada
For the latest news and updates, visit Panasonic Canada’s social channels:
Facebook: Panasonic Canada
YouTube: Panasonic Canada
LinkedIn: Panasonic Canada
The following video presents [NEW] Panasonic Digital Imaging Seminar Introducing LUMIX S Series:
“Panasonic fully unveiled its full-frame mirrorless camera LUMIX S1R, LUMIX S1 and the digital interchangeable lenses -LUMIX S PRO 50mm F1.4 (S-X50), LUMIX S PRO 70-200mm F4 O.I.S. (S-R70200) and LUMIX S 24-105mm F4 MACRO O.I.S. (S-R24105).“
Please support this site. Pre-order / Buy the Panasonic LUMIX S1R/S1 Cameras, Lenses and Accessories from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):