The NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR has up to 4.5 stops VR (Vibration Reduction, aka image stabilization), focuses as close as 19 cm (7.5 inches) at all zoom positions, features 2.3x power zoom, and an internal zoom mechanism where the total length of the lens barrel does not change during zooming.
The new NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR will be available in May 2023 for a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of CAD $499.95 (suggested retail price of US $359.95).
Immersive Views and Creative Freedom: The NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR Power-Zoom Ultra-Wide Angle Lens is the Latest Addition to Nikon’s Growing Toolkit for Creators
Nikon’s Super Lightweight Wide Angle Lens Puts a Variable Power Zoom and Amazing Image Quality Within Reach
MISSISSAUGA, ON, April 18,2023 – Today, Nikon Canada Inc. has announced the NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR, the ultra-wide angle lens made for content creators and vloggers. This latest lightweight lens is the widest NIKKOR Z DX-format lens yet1, and has the added benefit of a power zoom (PZ) for more creative versatility and great looking video. The 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR is designed to capture sharp and immersive content that lets you get more of what matters in the frame; more friends, more expansive landscapes and more freedom to create without limits.
Featuring an extremely versatile zoom range from an ultra-wide angle of 12mm to 28mm2, this lens is a must-have for any vlogger or creator who wants to get the whole story in the shot, and dynamically change-up the frame smoothly and consistently. The ultra-wide angle is also great for everything from larger-than-life landscapes, grand interiors, tabletop photos and group selfies where no one gets left out. Surprisingly small and light for such a wide zoom, the NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm weighs only approximately 7.3 oz, making it easy to hold with an extended arm. It’s perfectly mated to lightweight cameras such as the ultra-compact and capable Nikon Z 30, Z 50 or the retro inspired Z fc.
The Lens Made for Content Creators
The NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR is the first NIKKOR Z lens utilizing a power zoom with linear drive, providing smooth optical zoom and other thoughtful features for creators to enhance and simplify their video recording experience. The power zoom function easily and effortlessly zooms in close to a subject, or zooms out to truly establish the scene. To suit any shooting style, the zoom can be activated by twisting the customizable zoom ring on the barrel, with designated buttons on the camera body, or when using the ML-L7 Remote Control3 (included in the Z 30 Creator’s Accessory Kit). The zoom can also be controlled remotely through a PC or phone with the SnapBridge app4. Additionally, the zoom rate can be selected from 11 speed settings, within the range of 0.55 to 36 seconds, for maximum consistency when reframing your shot or adding dramatic creative flair.
Autofocus is sharp, reliable and fast, working flawlessly with the eye-detection AF in Nikon cameras to keep focus on you or your subject. The lens features an STM motor drive, making it extremely silent when focusing, so viewers won’t be disturbed by the sound of camera operation. What’s more, when transitioning to a close-up of a subject, the 12-28mm has a very close minimum focus distance of only 0.19 m (0.62 ft). This lets users seamlessly move the focus from their face to a product in-hand, while the image stays sharp.
Realizing that the best content often happens in real time, the lens is stabilized with Vibration Reduction (VR) that provides an effect equivalent to a shutter speed 4.5 stops faster5. This function makes it easy to capture run-and-gun footage without the distracting camera shake or shoot in low-light with minimal blur. Because of its small size and versatile angle of view, this lens is also well-suited for creating steady footage with gimbals.
Main Features of the NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR:
- Ultra-wide angle lens is ideal for vlogging and wide establishing shots but also landscapes, interior photography and city streets.
- Power zoom function provides smooth, consistent optical zoom that’s fully customizable with varying speeds, which can be engaged with camera buttons, zoom ring or used remotely.
- VR Image Stabilization reduces camera shake with up to 4.5 stops of compensation for stable video and sharp images.
- Close minimum focusing distance of 0.62 ft and maximum reproduction ratio of 0.21x allow for sharp and detailed shots of products, flowers, nature and other intricate details.
- Ultra-compact and lightweight design makes it easy to use and carry anywhere.
- The body of the NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm has been designed carefully to deliver dust- and drip-resistant performance,6 with a sealing that prevents any dust or water droplets from entering the lens.
Price and Availability
The new NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR will be available in May 2023 for a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $499.95*. For more information about the latest Nikon products, including other NIKKOR Z lenses and the entire collection of Z series cameras, please visit www.nikon.ca.
Nikon is a world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and technologies for photo and video capture; globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for an award-winning array of equipment that enables visual storytelling and content creation. Nikon Canada Inc. distributes consumer and professional Z Series mirrorless camera, digital SLR cameras, a vast array of NIKKOR and NIKKOR Z lenses, Speedlights and system accessories, Nikon COOLPIX® compact digital cameras and Nikon software products. For more information visit www.nikon.ca, which links all levels of photographers and visual storytellers to the Web’s most comprehensive learning and sharing communities. Connect with Nikon Canada on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
Specifications, design, product name, and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
1. As of April 18, 2023.
2. Angle of view is equivalent to that of an 18-42 mm lens in Full-frame/FX-format.
3. Camera buttons and 11 speed functionality supported on the Z 30 and the Z fc at time of initial release.
4. These functions will be supported by subsequent firmware update.
5. Based on CIPA Standard; this value is achieved when attached to an APS-C size/DX-format camera with the camera’s VR function set. to “NORMAL”, and when zoom is set to the maximum telephoto position.
6. Thorough dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed in all situations or under all conditions.
*MSRP (Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price) listed only as a suggestion. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.
Please support this site. Pre-Order / Buy the NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):