This is an update to the previous blog, Fujifilm New FUJINON UA80x9 at NAB 2015: World’s First Launch of FUJINON 4K Zoom Lens for 2/3-inch Broadcast Applications: 80x Zoom & Optical Image Stabilization.
At “NAB 2015”, a trade show of broadcasting equipment to be held in Las Vegas from April 13 to 16, 2015, Fujifilm will also showcase Fujinon UA22x8, the world’s first launch of portable broadcast zoom lens for 2/3-inch 4K broadcasting cameras.
- It is a 22x zoom lens covering the focal length from 8mm in wide angle to 176mm in telephoto.
This product release date is July 2015.
World’s first launch of portable broadcast zoom lens, “FUJINON UA22x8” compatible with 4K cameras
22x zoom from 8mm in wide angle to enable advanced production applications
April 9, 2015
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) has announced the world’s first* launch, in July, of portable broadcast zoom lens that offers exceptional optical performance for use with 4K cameras. Despite its lightweight and compact design, the latest release, “FUJINON UA22x8” (hereinafter “UA22x8”) is a 22x zoom lens starting from 8mm on the wide-angle side, delivers an advanced level of mobility at the frontline of TV production.
The market needs for 4K video contents are surging amidst a rapid growth in 4K television shipments and the launch of a dedicated 4K channel (CS satellite broadcasting) in Japan in March this year. The broadcasting industry has already embraced 4K cameras featuring a 2/3-inch sensor, a commonly-used size for broadcasting cameras, and is increasingly seeking compatible lenses that have advanced optical performance and can be used in versatile situations.
“UA22x8”, is a portable broadcast zoom lens with optical performance compatible with 4K cameras. Using the cutting-edge optical simulation technology, the lens achieves both the 22x zoom and advanced optical performance such as high image resolution, contrast and color reproduction. Covering the focal length from 8mm in wide angle to 176mm in telephoto, the lightweight and compact lens excels in handling versatile situations including live sport coverage, indoor / outdoor program production and news reporting. The “floating focus system”, which controls multiple lens groups according to the shooting distance, delivers high resolution and high contrast images from close-up to infinity, enabling 4K video production with a high realistic sensation and premium picture quality. With the demand for accurate focusing needed for 4K resolution, Fujinon’s new focus position demand unit**, the EPD-31A, has improved from 12 bit to 16bit encoding.
FUJINON lenses by Fujifilm are known for advanced descriptive performance, contributing to the evolution of video imaging through their use in the production of TV programs, movies and commercials across the world. Fujifilm will continue to tap into its optical, high precision forming and assembling technologies that have been nurtured over many years to develop and supply innovative products that address the diversifying needs of broadcasting production.
This product will be showcased at “NAB 2015”, a trade show of broadcasting equipment to be held in Las Vegas from April 13 to 16, 2015.
- * The world’s first launch of portable broadcast zoom lens with optical performance for 2/3-inch format 4K broadcasting cameras. (Based on a survey by Fujifilm. As of 9th April 2015, in reference to public information)
- ** Controller for focusing
1. Model name :
Broadcast zoom lens “FUJINON UA22x8 BE”
2. Release date :
3. Main features :
- (1) Advanced optical performance that enables 4K compatibility under any shooting conditions
- The floating focus system, which controls multiple lens groups according to the shooting distance, minimizes performance variations caused by the change of shooting distance to deliver high resolution from close-up to infinity. It is combined with a unique zoom system that minimizes aberrations across the entire zoom range to achieve advanced optical performance compatible with 4K under any shooting conditions.
- Fujifilm’s proprietary multi-layer coating processing “High Transmittance Electron Beam Coating (HT-EBC)” is applied to the lens for enhanced transmittance and color reproduction.
- (2) Powerful 4K footage with 22x zoom from 8mm in wide angle
- This lens covers a very useful range of focal lengths from 8mm in wide angle to 176mm in telephoto. The lightweight, compact and portable design makes it an ideal option for versatile situations including live sport coverage, live concert coverage, indoor / outdoor program production and news reporting, contributing to high realistic sensation in 4K video production.
- (3) Best suited focus demand for 4K shooting
- With the demand for accurate focusing needed for 4K resolution, Fujinon’s new focus position demand unit, the EPD-31A, has improved from 12 bit to 16bit encoding.
- (4) Equipped with 16bit encoder***
- The lens comes with the 16-bit encoder, capable of making a high-resolution output of lens data including zoom and focal position information. It can be linked with various other systems such as a virtual studio system for combining CG images with live action footage.
- *** The sensor for converting position information into digital signals; Zoom and focus position data is divided in 16-bit resolution and output as electric signals.
4. Main specifications :
Sales & Marketing Group, Optical Device & Electronic Imaging Products Division