Fujifilm Introduces FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR Lens
Hybrid Broadcast/Video/Photo Lens a First for X Series
Valhalla, N.Y., May 31, 2022 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the launch of FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR lens (XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR), specifically designed for photographers, filmmakers, and image-makers creating both stills and video.
“This lens marks the first collaboration between FUJINON Optics and FUJIFILM X Series engineers, creating a truly hybrid solution for motion production professionals and enthusiasts alike,” said Victor Ha, vice president, Electronic Imaging and Optical Devices Divisions, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “Incorporating our inherent broadcast technology has allowed us to create a lens with both cinema and broadcast- style features that delivers smooth zoom, focus, and iris functionality.”
XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR covers focal lengths ranging from the wide-angle 18mm to telephoto 120mm (equivalent to 27mm – 183mm in the 35mm film format). The highly versatile 6.7x power zoom, with its compact design, facilitates a variety of shooting situations including landscape (wide angle) and portraiture (telephoto). The lens is also capable of producing premium-quality video due to the advanced video performance Fujifilm has nurtured in its broadcast and cinema lenses over many years.
The lens offers constant maximum aperture of F4.0 across the entire focal range from wide angle to telephoto. It also has a maximum magnification ratio of x0.2, adding versatility to how the lens can be used to frame images when subjects are closer to the lens.
Thanks to the expertise of FUJINON Optics engineers, XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR has minimal focus breathing. As a result, changes in angle of view and variances in optical axis shift that can occur when focusing or zooming the lens are kept to a minimum. In addition to the regular zoom and focus rings, the lens is equipped with other versatile video features including a variable zoom/focus control ring and a custom Fn button.
Main Product Features:
Broad range of focal lengths for superior stills and videos
- XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR comprises 15 lens elements in 12 groups, including three aspherical elements and three extra-low dispersion (ED) elements, to effectively suppress spherical aberration, distortion, and chromatic aberration. The result is excellent image-resolving performance.
- Optimum positioning of the focusing element minimizes the effects of focus breathing.
Fast and highly accurate auto focus (AF)
- The lens uses an Inner Focus system, which drives the compact and lightweight group of focusing elements with a linear motor to achieve focus in as fast as 0.02 seconds1
- XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR’s focus-tracking performance is dramatically improved when attached to the FUJIFILM X-H2S digital camera. The combination brings together X-H2S’s high-speed focus drive mechanism with XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR’s focus-tracking performance to easily track subjects, even while recording video.
Diverse video-filming functions for easy video production
- The aperture drive control in the XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR has been updated from that of other XF lenses to successfully suppress exposure shift linked to aperture adjustments. When the level of luminosity changes, the aperture transitions smoothly so that exposure stays constant, even when light conditions are changing rapidly.
- The lens features a zoom/focus control ring, which allows users to control zooming or focusing at a variable speed.
- The lens also comes with a zoom feature, that drives zooming at a constant pace2, allowing users of all levels of expertise to master video production with zooming.
- Combine with FUJIFILM X-H2S digital camera and FT-XH file transmitter accessory to remotely record video on a single or multiple cameras, online through a web browser.
Compact and lightweight design for advanced mobility
- The aspherical and ED elements were designed for both size and weight efficiency, weighing just over one pound (460g), measuring approximately 4.9 inches (123.5mm) in length and with a filter thread diameter of 2.8 inches (72mm).
- The use of the Inner Zoom system means the lens barrel has a plain, non-extending structure, resulting in a lightweight lens that zooms easily with no shift in weight distribution. XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR also uses a smooth power zoom mechanism to drive the zoom lens group linearly with a stepping motor. This results in high-quality zooming with minimal optical axis shift across all focal lengths, from wide angle to telephoto.
Dust and weather resistant structure capable of operating at low temperatures
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 13 locations to ensure dust and weather-resistance and to provide the ability to operate at temperatures down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Celsius).
Pricing and Availability
FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR is expected to be available in or around September 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $899 USD and $1,150 CAD.
For more information, please visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/lenses/xf18-120mmf4-r-lm-pz-wr/.
1 Using an internal measurement method compliant with the CIPA Guidelines, and applicable when mounted on the FUJIFILM X-T4 mirrorless digital camera with Phase Detection AF activated and using the High Performance Mode.
2 When used with the FUJIFILM X-H2S, it is possible to switch between zooming and focusing, with 8 speed settings. For the FUJIFILM X-T4, FUJIFILM X-T3 and FUJIFILM X-S10, future firmware updates are expected to enable this functionality as well.
Support this site by Pre-ordering/Buying the FUJINON XF 18-120mm f/4 R LM PZ WR Lens from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):