The Samsung Design Website debuted in April 2014.
The reasons for selecting a product have become as diverse as our lifestyles. We believe design is more than just simple aesthetics, rather it provides new meaning and value in our lives.
Using the idea ‘Make It Meaningful’ as inspiration, we wanted to create a platform to present influential design stories and solutions to be shared around the world. Samsung Electronics’ introduces the meaningful stories behind the design of their products as they strive to create the culture of tomorrow.
From Samsung designers pursuing sustainable value, to the ideas behind the eyes of outside creators, Samsung Design Site wants to deliver a design story that enriches the lives of users.
One of Samsung’s product stories to “Make It Meaningful” is “The Evolution of the NX Series” of Samsung cameras.
Samsung’s NX mirrorless camera series has inherited the design identity of the NV series which was widely appreciated for its classic track design, while enhancing its usage and functions.
For an interactive display of functional designs for NX 300, NX 200 and NX 100 cameras, please click here, wait about six seconds and click on the arrow at the right side of their page titled “The Evolution of the NX Series.”
ReMake it Meaningful Challenge
Generally we discard packaging material once we open a product without giving any afterthought. We wondered, is it possible to create something meaningful out of these materials?
Samsung invites you to design something new that brings creativity and meaningful value to our lives. From a small prop, to furniture, or something beyond our imagination – we want to see what your hands can create. Come and join the festival and demonstrate your talents as a designer!
Design.Samsung Idea Festival
This video shows ReMake it Meaningful – Design.Samsung Idea Festival.
- ‘ReMake it Meaningful’ is an ‘idea festival’ with the challenge of transforming used paper packages into a creative, practical product.
“Transform used paper packages into a creative, practical product that adds meaningful value to our lives.
- Used paper packaging must be the primary material used for the festival, but may also include additional materials (The use of too many additional materials may result in deductions during the judging process).
- There are no official size restrictions, be aware that all award winning designs will be placed on exhibition – Try not to create something too large or too small.“
Who Can Apply?
- Participants may consist of an individual or grouped into teams (up to 4 people).
- Students in a Full-time Undergraduate or Graduate program that is longer than 2 years.
- Military personnel are eligible for participation.
- Professional workers are ineligible for participation.
Here are the contest prizes. (KRW denotes South Korean Won currency.)
- 5,000,000 KRW is 4679.05000 US Dollar at the current exchange rate.
- 2,000,000 KRW is 1871.48000 US Dollar at the current exchange rate.
- 500,000 KRW is 467.90500 US Dollar at the current exchange rate.
Registration Period : October 20, 2014 – November 7, 2014 (17:00 Korea Standard Time [KST] )
- 1st round nominees announcement: November 18, 2014.
- Final prize winners and exhibition will be announced during December.
※ 1st round nominee announcement date may be subject to change.
- 1ST Round : Round : 8 Design experts will judge the entries based on judging criteria (judges will be announced 1 day prior to judging).
- Products that pass the 1st round will be announced on the Design Samsung Site (design.samsung.com) on the aforementioned date.
- 2nd Round : Internet users will cast a vote for products on the Design Samsung Site.
- Period : November 19, 2014 – November 30, 2014.
- Final voters will be notified individually after the 2nd round vote.
The product’s intellectual rights belong to the applicants, but Samsung Electronics shall be granted the use of the product for an offline exhibition related to the festival, advertisements, and use on the Design Samsung Site for future contests. Samsung Electronics has all primary negotiating rights for buying or receiving any intellectual rights of the product or any and all usage rights, in this case the conditions of the contract shall be negotiated separately.
For the full rules and requirements of the contest, please visit design.samsung at http://www.design.samsung.com/global/contents/idea_festival/overview.html.
- Starting on October 20, 2014, applications must be registered through the ‘Application Menu’.
- Photo (Required): An idea sketch of the product OR photos of the product from the front, back, and side. (1 photo from each angle.)
- Please click here for FAQ and contact info in regards to contest submissions and inquiries.