- 45MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- OLED EVF 5.76M dots
- 5-Axis In-Body IS
- 20fps Continuous Shooting
- 8K/30P Video
- Dual card slots
QUICKFACT SHEETThe Canon EOS R5 is a pro-level/expert-level full-frame mirrorless camera for pro and enthusiast stills photographers. This is basically the high-resolution 45MP version of the EOS R6 (20.1MP), though it’s more than just that.
After paying only lip service to mirrorless technology for years, Canon seriously entered the mirrorless market two years ago with the EOS R. Now, the EOS R5 easily vies for the top spot in the full-frame mirrorless segment.
Here are the some of the major headlines of the Canon EOS R5:
- A new advanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF II with 1,053 AF points covers approximately 100 percent of the viewfinder and can accurately detect and persistently lock onto the human eye, face or head as well as the eye, face or body of animals such as dogs, cats and birds. Early reviews report that the R5’s Eye AF Tracking matches (or even surpasses) that on Sony’s mirrorless cameras, which in itself could have been Canon’s major selling point, since it is Sony’s excellent Eye-AF Tracking that sold itself to many pro photographers.
- A 5-axis IBIS (In-Body Image Stabilizer) which will coordinate with the OIS (Optical Image Stabilizer) in IS-equipped RF lenses to provide an industry-leading 8 stops of shake correction.
- A 0.5-inch OLED EVF with 5.76M-dot resolution, 0.76X magnification and a smooth 119.88 fps refresh rate.
- A 3.2-inch Vari-angle Touch LCD with 2.1M-dot resolution.
- Weather, drip and dust sealed.
- A new higher capacity LP-E6NH battery.
- Double memory slots, which means that you can shoot a stills picture and record it on both memory cards. However, this is not the case when shooting video because you unfortunately (and again, frustratingly) cannot send whatever you are video recording to both slots.
The EOS R5 is at its heart a stills camera. Though it offers 8K video, the EOS R5 suffers from overheating issue filming at 8K/30p and even at 4K/30p. As it stands, due to the uncharacteristically long cooling period required before the camera becomes usable again, the R5 cannot reliably deliver the stated numbers because the moment you turn the camera on, it starts heating up and therefore cutting into the stated numbers. This means that the R5 cannot be regarded as a video-centric hybrid camera and is not recommended for professional video shoots. However, 8K/30p yields gorgeous footage if you just need to shoot B-rolls.
Editor’s note: A firmware update has alleviated this over-heating issue quite a bit.
Video overheating issues aside, the Canon EOS R5 is probably one of the best full-frame mirrorless stills camera going head-to-head with the excellent Sony A7R IV. Canon marketing should have used the 8K video as the frosting on top of an excellent full-frame mirrorless stills camera.
Canon’s in-body image sensor-shift stabilization is probably the best currently. Paired with optical image stabilization in its lenses, you can get an industry-leading 8 stops of shake correction.
|CANON EOS R5 SPECS AT A GLANCE (JUL 9, 2020)|
|LENS MOUNT:||E||ISO:||100-51200, 50, 102400|
|VIEWFINDER:||OLED EVF 5.76M DOTS 0.76X MAGNIFICATION||LCD:||3.2″ 2.1M DOTS, VARI-ANGLE TOUCH LCD|
|I.S.:||5-AXIS (8EV WHEN PAIRED WITH OIS)||VIDEO:||8K/30P, 4K/60P/120P, FULL HD/60P/120P|
|CONTINUOUS SHOOTING:||10 FPS (MECHANICAL) / 20 FPS (ELECTRONIC)||STORAGE MEDIA:||DUAL SLOTS: CFEXPRESS, SD (UHS-II)|
|OTHER:||5GHz and 2.4GHz WI-FI, BLUETOOTH, WIRELESS REMOTE SHOOTING, HI-SPEED SYNC FLASH MODE, TIME LAPSE|
|DIMENSIONS:||138 x 97.5 x 88.0 MM (5.45 x 3.84 x 3.46 IN)||WEIGHT:||738 G (1.63 LBS) WITH BATTERY AND MEMORY CARD|
|PRICE:||US $3,899.00 BODY ONLY|
US $4999.00 WITH RF 24-105MM F4 L IS USM LENS KIT
|BUY:||Canon EOS R5 (body only)|
If you shoot landscapes and/or portraits and need very high resolution files, we highly recommend the Canon EOS R5 (2020, US $3899.00 body only, US $4999.00 with RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens kit).
If you do not need 45MP resolution, check out the Canon EOS R6 (2020, US $2,499.00 body only, US $3,599.00 with RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens kit) with 20.1MP.
The Canon EOS R5’s closest competitor is the Sony A7R IV (2019, US $3,499.99 body only) with 61MP.
Please support this site. If the the Canon EOS R5 is the camera that is best for you, please support this site by pre-ordering/buying it from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):
- Canon EOS R5 Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)
- Canon EOS R5 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 24-105mm f/4L Lens
- Canon EOS R6 Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)
- Canon EOS R6 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 24-105mm f/4-7.1 Lens
- Canon EOS R6 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 24-105mm f/4L Lens
- Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM Lens
- Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM Lens
- Canon RF 600mm f/11 IS STM Lens
- Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM Lens
- Canon WFT-R10A Wireless File Transmitter
- Canon BG-R10 Battery Grip
- Canon Extender RF 2x
- Canon Extender RF 1.4x
- Canon LP-E6NH Lithium-Ion Battery
- Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-300 13″ Professional Photographic Inkjet Printer