Canon released further details concerning the upcoming EOS R3 full-frame mirrorless camera, which apparently sits just one rung lower than their yet-to-be-announced flagship EOS R1 full-frame mirrorless camera.
The EOS R3 measures light at EV -7 (in near total darkness), provides up to 8 stops of combined in-body and lens image stabilization, shoots up to 30 fps continuously in RAW, and learns to AF track speeding cars and motor bikes. It shoots 4K movie with Movie Servo AF tracking subjects (people, animals and cars) during video recording.
Other features include dual card slots (CF Express and SD), a Vari-angle LCD monitor and a new accessory shoe for data communication. A first is the possibility to do speedlite shooting with the electronic shutter.
Announcement of Additional Specifications of the In-development EOS R3 Full-frame Mirrorless Camera
HONG KONG, 2 JUN 2021 — Canon Inc. announced today additional specifications of the highly anticipated and currently-in-development EOS R3 full-frame mirrorless camera. Based on the concept of high speed, high sensitivity and high reliability, the EOS R3 is designed to provide a high-level of functionality required to meet the needs of professional and enthusiast users.
Newly Announced Details of EOS R3 Full-frame Mirrorless Camera:
Excellent low-light condition shooting performance
- Low-light AF brightness range: minimum EV -7.0
- Coordinated Control IS technology offers 8-stop shake compensation by coordinating the In-body IS and Lens Optical IS
Powerful Autofocus System to Support High-Speed Performance
- Up to approx. 30 FPS  continuous shooting with RAW is possible
- New tracking subject – motorsports (car/bike) is possible using deep learning technology
- Speedlite shooting with electronic shutter is possible
- Dual card slots accommodating CFexpress card and SD card
Advanced Movie Recording Performance Satisfying Professional Users
- Features oversampling 4K movie recording
- Supports internal recording of RAW movie
- Supports Canon Log 3
- Movie Servo AF is able to track people, animal and motorsports subjects during movie recording
Professional Reliability and Network Capabilities
- Magnesium-alloy body
- High speed 802.11ac (5GHz) Wi-Fi and wired LAN port are provided
- Powered by Battery Pack LP-E19
- Equipped with a new accessory shoe that can provide data communication and power. It will support new accessories
Appearance and Operability based on EOS-1 series and EOS R5
- Multi Controllers are available
- Smart Controllers as found in EOS-1D X Mark III are added (an optical pointing device integrated with AF-ON button)
- Features a side-opening Vari-angle LCD monitor
- 3 individual dials as found in EOS R5