Recently, 81 companies, including Sony, signed the American Business Act on Climate Pledge to demonstrate their support for action on climate change and the conclusion of a climate change agreement in Paris that takes a strong step forward toward a low-carbon, sustainable future.
The following video presents More Companies Join U.S. Pledge On Climate Change:
President Obama announced that a total of 81 companies, including Alcoa Inc, General Electric Co and Procter & Gamble, have backed a U.S.-sponsored pledge supporting action to combat climate change.
“With The White House, Sony Corp. of America is proud to #ActOnClimate” as follows.
SONY CORPORATION OF AMERICA
We have established a long-term global environmental plan, Road to Zero, which aims for a zero environmental footprint throughout the lifecycle of our products and business activities by 2050. Curbing climate change is one of four perspectives we focus. We have reduced over 1.2 million tons of greenhouse gas emissions from Sony facilities in fiscal 2014 compared to fiscal 2000, which is equivalent to approximately 46% reduction. We have participated in the EPA Green Partner Partnership program since 2009 and are currently listed on the Top 30 Tech and Telecom list for the purchase of renewable energy in the U.S. We were also able to reduce the estimated annual energy consumption per product by 30% in fiscal 2014 compared to fiscal 2008.
We put forth our pledges as follows:
Working toward Road to Zero environmental plan, Sony Corporation of America on behalf of the entire Sony Group pledges to:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions from our facilities by 5%, compared to fiscal 2015 baseline, by fiscal 2020 on a global basis
- Reduce the annual energy consumption of its products* by an average of 30%, compared to fiscal 2013 baseline, by fiscal 2020. Reach out to over a few hundred million people worldwide through Sony’s Entertainment contents, by fiscal 2020 to raise awareness and inspire action on the issues of environmental sustainability.
- Use and/or purchase renewable energy equivalent to 300,000 tons of CO2 emission by fiscal 2020 on a global basis.
- Enhance engagement of entire value chain by requesting major manufacturing partners and component suppliers cooperate by monitoring their CO2 emissions, water usage and waste. Additionally, we will call on the major manufacturing partners to reduce these levels targeting 1% reduction in GHG emission and water usage intensity** per year.
* AC powered devices which operate the main function with energy input from the main power source (main electricity grid).
** Environmental impact relative to the gross sales of product supplied to Sony.
Sony Participates in the American Business Act on Climate Pledge Launched by White House
[ 2015.10.21 ]
Sony Corporation of America (SCA)
Recognizing the important role of business in curbing climate change, Sony group companies in the U.S. came together under the name of Sony Corporation of America (SCA) to participate in the American Business Act on Climate Pledge called by the U.S. White House in October 2015. Attending the White House Summit on Climate and the Road through Paris, SCA announced a pledge on behalf of Sony to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from site operations, reduce the annual energy consumption of products, raise awareness and inspire action on environmental sustainability through Sony’s Entertainment contents, and enhance engagement of entire value chain by requesting major manufacturing partners and component suppliers cooperate for monitoring and reduction of environmental impacts. 81 companies joined the climate pledge to demonstrate an ongoing commitment to climate action and to voice support for a strong outcome to the COP21 Paris climate negotiations.