New Sophisticated Flat Design LUMIX DMC-XS3 with High Sensitivity MOS Sensor
Achieving High Image Quality in Both Photo and Video Recording Featuring a Host of Creative Effects
Panasonic is introducing a new stylish digital compact camera LUMIX DMC-XS3 in classic camera design that integrates new 14.1-megapixel High Sensitivity MOS Sensor for high sensitivity photo and 1920 x 1080 full HD video recording. Combining the industry-leading digital technology and miniaturization technology which has long been cultivated in the development of portable electronic devices, the DMC-XS3 boasts ultra slim profile with the thinnest depth of just 14mm. The 24mm wide-angle 5x optical zoom LUMIX lens (equivalent to 24mm to 120mm on a 35mm camera) is equipped for versatile, easy image composition. Taking advantage of Panasonic’s Intelligent Resolution technology, max. 10x Intelligent Zoom is also available to draw subject even closer. A variety of special effects that add fun to shooting experience are integrated in DMC-XS3 – Creative Panorama and Creative Control. Creative Retouch and Beauty Retouch are in-camera retouch functions that let users apply attracting effects on the photo after shooting.
With a dedicated motion picture button, the 1920 x 1080 full HD video recording in MP4 can be started instantly. The iA (Intelligent Auto) mode lets users leave everything to the camera to take beautiful images with its MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer), Intelligent ISO Control, Intelligent Scene Selector, Intelligent Exposure and Face Detection. Once you enter the iA mode, these multi-capable functions happen automatically, so that you can shoot without the bother of adjusting settings every time conditions change. The DMC-XS3 is equipped with 2.7-inch large Intelligent LCD with 100% field of view to assure high visibility even under strong sunlight.
Designed in the motif of a traditional analog camera, the DMC-XS3 packages a host of cutting-edge digital technologies to make photography even more enjoyable.
1. New 14.1-Megapixel High Sensitivity MOS Sensor and F2.8 24mm Ultra Wide Angle LUMIX Lens with 5x Optical Zoom
– for Higher Picture Quality and Versatility
The new DMC-XS3 incorporates 14.1-megapixel High Sensitivity MOS sensor for high-speed, high-quality image processing to render clear, crisp images with minimum noise even they are shot in low- light situations. Together with the high speed digital signal output technology in the Venus Engine, it realizes high speed consecutive shooting and full-HD video recording. It also contributes to the quick start-up and Light Speed AF to catch the most fleeting shooting opportunities. In addition, the Intelligent Handheld Night Shot in the iA Mode generates a beautiful night scenery with illumination by multi-layering the images shot consecutively. Bright, glamorous night scenery can be recorded without using a tripod.
Comprising of 6 elements in 5 groups with 3 aspherical lenses with 5 aspherical surfaces in its unit, the F2.8 fast 24mm wide-angle LUMIX DC VARIO lens in DMC-XS3 feature 5x optical zoom (35mm camera equivalent: 24-120mm) despite stunningly slim, compact body profile. The 24mm ultra wide angle lens gives photographers a wider range of composition possibilities with approx. 213% larger viewing space compared to that of 35mm camera. It captures more subjects in limited focusing distance and is good for shooting group portrait, indoor objects or dynamic landscapes. For distant subjects, the Intelligent Zoom can be used for the extended magnification to 10x by combining digital zoom with minimum deterioration of image quality.
2. Creative Panorama, Creative Control, Creative Retouch and Beauty Retouch
The DMC-XS3 integrates a variety of unique functions that adds fun to digital photography. With the Creative Panorama function, it is possible to shoot a horizontal / vertical panoramic image with consequent shots taken by overlaying the previous picture and to put on a filter effect of Retro, Expressive, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Old Days, Cross Process and One Point Color.
The Creative Control and Creative Retouch features a total of 13 filter effects – Retro, Expressive, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Miniature Effect, Old Days and One Point Color. The Creative Control lets users shoot with a filter effect while checking how it makes difference on the picture, which can be used for video recording, too*. The Creative Retouch enables applying a filter effect on the picture even after shooting in camera.
The Beauty Retouch Mode makes it possible to virtually make up the human faces to look them nicer. The One-touch Make Up Mode offers 5 patterns of latest trend make-up – Natural, Smokey, Glamour, Cheerful and Elegant. The Aesthetic Retouch (Clear Skin, Shine Removal, Whitening of Teeth) and Foundation (5 colors) are also available.
3. 1920 x 1080 Full-HD Video Recording in Practical MP4 format
It also enables the camera to record 1920 x 1080 full-HD video in MP4*. A special, separate button on the back lets the user instantly start recording videos while shooting photos without having to make any extra settings. Max. 4x zooming is available in video recording**. The popular iA (Intelligent Auto) can also be used in video recording.
* Sensor output is 30fps (NTSC) / 25fps (PAL).
** Digital zoom.
• Use a card with SD Speed Class* with “Class 4” or higher when recording videos.
* SD Speed Class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing.
• Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously with [MP4 (FHD)] is 20 minutes.
• Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously with [MP4 (HD/VGA)] is 29 minutes 59 seconds.
4. The MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) and the iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode Powerfully Assists Shooting Beautiful Images
Panasonic incorporated the iA (Intelligent Auto) mode in pursuit of the ultimate ease of operation and the reduction of misshots. The user can activate all of these useful, convenient shooting-assist functions by just activating an iA mode.
The MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) is integrated in the iA mode for DMC-XS3 to suppress hand-shake. Apart from the digital image correction, MEGA O.I.S. corrects a jolt of light axis by shifting the O.I.S. lens unit to offset it. Thus the image is not affected digitally nor deteriorated at all. You get clear, sharp images in exchange for nothing. In addition, Intelligent ISO Control, Intelligent Scene Selector, Intelligent Exposure and Face Detection automatically work for users to get the best result.
5. Other Features to Enhance the Performance of Cameras
– microSD/SDHC Card Compatibility
Photo and video data are recorded in ultra-small microSD/SDHC Card, which also has high acceptability of major smartphones.
– AC / USB Power Charging
The camera’s battery can be recharged either via AC or via USB according to the users’ convenience.
• All other company and product names are trademarks of their respective corporations.
• Models of VIERA TV that are capable of playing back MP4 images via the SD card slot vary depending on the sales area.
• microSDHC Memory Cards can only be used with compatible models, however cannot be used with models that are only compatible with microSD Memory Cards.
• Some accessories are not available in some countries.
• The use of recorded or printed materials that are protected by copyright for any purpose other than personal enjoyment is prohibited, as it would infringe upon the rights of the copyright holder.
• Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
View the Panasonic XS3 Technical Specs