8th Annual Arts in Bushwick
The I Love You Project® Exhibition – Founded by Debbie T. Davies
Friday May 30, 5pm-8pm
Saturday May 31, 11am-6pm
Sunday June 1, 11am-6pm
Location: The Vander Ende-Onderdonk House, 1820 Flushing Ave, Ridgewood, NY 11385
BOS Launch Party
Friday, May 30, at Radio Bushwick
22 WYCKOFF AVENUE, BROOKLYN, NY 11237
TEL: 917-893-8935 | EMAIL: RADIOBUSHWICK@GMAIL.COM
“The purpose of the project is to celebrate diversity and share intentions of peace, acceptance, and love across cultures.
Participants are videotaped and photographed saying “I Love You” in their native language using digital microscope cameras. The images and voice recordings are combined with original music by Julius Schön to create an immersive multi-media installation. The microscope technology, which is actually a child’s toy, creates unexpected reflections of skin tone, sometimes capturing what is beneath the skin, and showing that we are all human underneath. During the photo sessions, participants are encouraged to spend time telling their stories of migration, and describing their personal and cultural definition of “love”. The highly emotional and connected experience participants share – saying “I Love You” into the camera – exemplifies the healing power of this phrase. This interaction creates a connection between participants, the photographer, and strangers. The message of love reverberates through the images and voices of people of different cultures and religions.”
Debbie T. Davies
This video presents “The I Love You Project.”
- First of a series of global photo-video projects in….Raval, Barcelona, Spain.
Photographer and multi-media visual artist Debbie T. Davies uses a digital microscope camera to shoot over 300 microscope portraits of people saying “I Love You” in different languages.
- The photos were shot over a 3 year period in Raval (Barcelona), Bockenheim (Frankfurt), Giessen, and Neukölln (Berlin, during the 48-Hour Neukölln Festival).
This will be the first time the photography has been shown in the USA.
- The I Love You Project Exhibition will be an outdoor exhibition during the Bushwick Open Studios annual event.
Bushwick Open Studios (BOS) is a three-day arts and culture festival, hosted annually by the volunteer organization Arts in Bushwick (AiB).
- BOS is New York’s largest open studios event, encouraging hundreds of artists to open their doors and share their work.
- Additionally, visitors can enjoy a series of events, performances, and panels, coordinated by AiB.
- Participating artists, spaces, and events must register to be listed in the official BOS map, which will be available both digitally and in print to help guests navigate the festival.