McAfee Canada today announced an updated version of McAfee Mobile Security. This enhanced version enables consumers to instantly run free privacy and security scans as soon as the product is installed.
- It identifies apps on their smartphones and tablets that are oversharing personal information, searches for and removes malware, and looks for other security threats.
- McAfee Mobile Security helps to safeguard Android users’ digital assets and personal information stored on their smart devices.
Canadian Internet users value their digital files to be worth more than $32,000, or the price of a new car1.
- On average, Canadians have 2,584 digital files stored on at least one digital device.
- Canadians value the personal memories they keep on their digital devices to be worth $17,711, and their personal records are valued at $7,354.
- Seventy-seven (77) per cent of Canadian consumers list identity theft, financial theft, and fraud as their top security concerns, and 87 per cent of Canadians don’t protect their smartphones with comprehensive security.
This video presents “McAfee Mobile Security — Powerful Protection for Your Mobile Life.”
- “McAfee mobile solutions offer customers the confidence to safely connect, surf, shop and socialise online knowing that their data, device and privacy are safe.
- If your mobile device gets lost, stolen, infected with a virus, or an app unknowingly mines your personal information, you could lose your personal data, but also could possibly expose yourself, your friends, or your colleagues to financial fraud and identity theft.
- That’s why McAfee provides an award-winning security solution that’s as mobile as you are.“
“Protect your mobile device with McAfee and do more with confidence.”
McAfee Offers Free Instant Protection Scan for Mobile Apps
that Overshare Personal Information
New release of McAfee Mobile Security enables Android users to instantly check
for apps that use extensive data collection techniques
MARKHAM, ON, May 20, 2014 – Today McAfee, part of Intel Security, announced the latest version of McAfee Mobile Security that now enables consumers to instantly run free privacy and security scans as soon as the product is installed. It identifies apps that are oversharing personal information, searches for and removes malware, and looks for other security threats. This new version of McAfee Mobile Security also allows users to easily remove apps that pose significant risks.
According to McAfee’s Consumer Mobile Security Report, 80 per cent of mobile apps today collect location information about users, 82 per cent know the device ID, and 57 per cent track when people use their phones. Additionally, the apps that aggressively and often unnecessarily collect data leverage potentially dangerous ad libraries, and 35 per cent of these apps contain malware.
“The personal data some apps collect can be beneficial to enhancing your mobile experience. However many apps are collecting more information than they need, putting your privacy and personal security at risk,” said Gary Davis, vice president of consumer marketing at McAfee, part of Intel Security. “McAfee Mobile Security is empowering users by letting them know exactly what information their apps are accessing, and helps them safeguard their identity and personal information.”
McAfee Mobile Security’s privacy scan provides key intelligence about the apps users have installed on a smartphone or tablet. The scan determines how much information each app is able to access and share, then ranks them by level of privacy sensitivity while also checking for risky URL associations. When an app behaves significantly different than others in its category, the level of risk is raised and reflected in its privacy-sharing score. At the conclusion of the privacy scan the user can uninstall suspicious apps with one-click.
The most worrisome permissions are apps that read users’ subscriber ID from their smartphones and tablets, anything that gets users’ precise location (as opposed to Wi-Fi network or cell tower), and anything that reads or tracks text messages that can contain private messages and information like online banking transaction authorizations. To provide a deeper level of protection, the new version of McAfee Mobile Security instantly scans Android apps, files, SD cards and Internet downloads for malware using a method optimized for mobile to be light on resources and on battery life.
McAfee Mobile Security
McAfee Mobile Security for Android is designed to prevent privacy invasions, data loss, identity theft, and lost or stolen devices. It includes anti-theft, antivirus, app protection, Web and Wi-Fi protection, and call and SMS filtering. In AV-Test’s most recent effectiveness test for mobile security products, McAfee Mobile Security received a 100 per cent detection score for the second time this year and was given a top ranking among the 30 vendors that participated in the independent test. McAfee Mobile Security can be downloaded for free from the Google Play Store.
McAfee, part of Intel Security and a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC), empowers businesses, the public sector, and home users to safely experience the benefits of the Internet. The company delivers proactive and proven security solutions and services for systems, networks, and mobile devices around the world. With its Security Connected strategy, innovative approach to hardware-enhanced security, and unique Global Threat Intelligence network, McAfee is relentlessly focused on keeping its customers safe. http://www.mcafee.com
McAfee Canada is headquartered in Markham, Ontario, with regional offices across Canada. The company’s Consumer Software Research and Development facility is based in Waterloo, Ontario.
Note: McAfee is a registered trademark of McAfee, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.