Olympus is positioning its new PEN E-PL7 as the smartphone user’s Interchangeable Lens Camera. Smartphone users take lots of pictures with their phone’s built-in camera and most of these end up on their social sites, shared with friends and families.
The tiny sensor in the smartphone cameras puts limitations in the image quality that can be obtained. That is when smartphone users eagerly look to upgrade to a dedicated camera with a larger sensor that is as easy to use as the one on their smartphone but that will give them much better image quality and more flexibility in exposure, lenses and accessories.
Enter the Olympus PEN E-PL7. It has a proven form factor, is drop dead gorgeous in its retro design and is filled with practical features prized by smartphone users.
- 16M Live MOS Four-Thirds Sensor
- TruePic VII engine
- 81-Point FAST AF
- 3-Axis VCM In-body Image Stabilization
- 8fps High-Speed Sequential Shooting
- ISO 100-25600
- 3.0-in. Tilting and Swiveling Capacitive Touch Panel Monitor (1.04M-dot)
- Selfie Function
- Advanced Live Guide
- New Partial Color and Old Film Effect Art Filters
- New Photo Story and Hold Function
- New Scene Mode ‘Panning Shot’
Selfies Made Easy
The E-PL7 has a new Selfie function that makes taking selfies easy: the selfie mode automatically turns on when you tilt and swivel the large capacitive touch panel monitor 180° forward at the bottom of the camera.
Olympus chose to move the monitor from above the lens to below the lens to give an unobstucted view and access to the monitor without the user having to reach across over the lens and risk touching and smearing it. Holding the camera away at arm’s length, it’s then a simple touch operation to the on-screen shutter-release button. The shutter will even wait 1 second to give you time to remove your finger and compose yourself; if desired, it will also take 3 shots, one after another, one second apart, to ensure you get the best results.
But you don’t have to remain motionless now to take a selfie. The new Self timer sequential shooting function makes capturing selfies with movement possible. Set the interval, the number of shots and press the screen shutter button to start recording pictures as you move around.
The 3-Axis VCM Image Stabilization (IS) ensures that you avoid blurred selfies. The IS is built-in so that each lens attached to the camera gains the advantage of image stabilization.
The Olympus PEN E-PL7 includes built-in Wi-Fi and pairing your smartphone with the E-PL7 is easy: just scan a QR code displayed on the camera’s LCD, then you can use all the cool photo and sharing features on your smartphone: add geotags, apply Art Filters, and share with friends and family. Live View is displayed on the smart phone, and the camera can be controlled by touching the smart phone display.
A new Partial Color Art Filter provides 3 different color variations for even greater creative latitude: you can select to keep only one color or a variable number of colors besides the selected color (18 colors are available), all at a simple turn of the Color Ring.
The E-PL7 retains the much beloved retro PEN design and uses metal dials and leather wrapping. The handgrip is not removable.
The control buttons have been redesigned to have better tactile feel so that they are easy to press, yet with the right pressure needed to avoid an unintended press.
Olympus has finally decided to stamp the OLYMPUS PEN logo onto its PEN cameras and the E-PL7 has the honor of being the first one to sport it.
There is no built-in flash but a small external flash is bundled and slots into the hotshoe.
For photographers who prefer composing their shots using an eyepiece, the E-PL7 is compatible with the optional high-definition VF-4 viewfinder (2.36M-dot, 1.48X magnification, eye-detect).
- E-PL7 Genuine Body Jacket: $59.99 (Available in October)
- 14-42 Genuine Leather Jens Jacket: $44.99 (Available in October)
- PT-EP12 Underwater Protector (Housing): 45m depth, compatible with 14-42EZ, 12mmF2, 17mmF1.8, 25mmF1.8 and 45mmF1.8, Macro Converter PTMC-01: 749.99 (Available in October)
- UFL-3 Underwater Flash: 75m depth, GN22, charging time 2 sec., compatible with wireless flash controller: $499.99 (Available in October)
Availability and Price
The Olympus PEN E-PL7 will be available in Black or Silver in September 2014.
- Body only: US $599.99 (September 2014)
- with M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42 mm f3.5-5.6 II R lens: US $699.99 (September 2014)
- M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12mm f2.0 lens in Black: US $799.99 (end of August 2014)
You can also download the free Olympus Image Share Version 2.4 from the Olympus Download site.
You can pre-order / buy the Olympus PEN Lite E-PL7 at B&H:
– Olympus PEN E-PL7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R Lens (Silver)
– Olympus PEN E-PL7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera (Silver)
– Olympus PEN E-PL7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R Lens (Black)
– Olympus PEN E-PL7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera (Black)
– Olympus PEN E-PL7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ Lens (Black)
|Olympus PEN E-PL7 – Silver|
|Body only||with 14-42mm kit lens|
|Olympus PEN E-PL7 – Black|
|Body only||with 14-42mm kit lens|