- 26.1MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS 4 Sensor
- New 23mm (35mm equiv) F2 Lens
- Hybrid Optical/ OLED EVF
- Tilt Touch LCD
- Weather Resistance*
- 4K/30p Video
- 17 Film Simulations
- Multiple Exposure
QUICKFACT SHEETT he Fujifilm X100V retains the classic beauty of the X100 Series and the retro analog-style dedicated controls (for selecting shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation and aperture) that provide a tactile experience and make Fujifilm cameras such a joy to use. Underneath that vintage exterior lies a sophisticated camera bristling with many of the latest technologies found in Fujifilm’s flagship X-T3 and X-Pro3.
The Fujifilm X100V is the fifth iteration in Fujifilm’s X100 Series of premium compact fixed-lens cameras, and brings much welcomed improvements:
- The same 26MP sensor as used in the top-of-the-line X-T3 and X-Pro3 mirrorless cameras, so promises great image quality.
- A completely redesigned 23mmF2 lens (35mm equivalent), enhanced for better resolution, lower distortion and improved close focus performance.
- The 3-inch (1.62M-dot resolution) LCD display on the back now tilts up and down (at last!) and is also touch-enabled (the LCD on the previous model X100F did not tilt and was not touch enabled).
- The hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder now incorporates a higher resolution OLED display: 0.52x magnification optical viewfinder (OVF) / 3.69M-dot OLED electronic viewfinder (EVF).
- An upgraded AF system features enhanced Face and Eye Detection.
- A new focusing algorithm improves the low-light capability, allowing focus lock in shooting situations as dark as -5EV.
- A new native ISO range of 160-12800, plus expanded ISO 80, ISO 100, ISO 125, ISO 25,600 and ISO 51,200.
- Video is upgraded to 4K/30p, with internal F-log.
- Faster Continuous Shooting at 11fps (38 JPEG or 17 RAW) with the mechanical shutter, 20fps with the electronic shutter.
- Another improvement that might prove popular with photographers who want to be able to keep the lens wide open at F2 on bright sunny days (for blurred backgrounds) is the increased 4-stop reduction (up from 3 stops on X100F) of the built-in ND (neutral density) Filter.
- Weather resistance*
* Finally, the X100V body (but not the front part of the lens) is now weather-resistant; screw on the optional AR-X100 adapter ring and the PRF-49 protection filter, and the X100V (body and lens) can now be considered completely weather resistant.
The LCD now tilts up and down for easier high- and low-angle shooting. It is also touch screen for easy AF point selection.
There is another change that should be welcomed by users not used to the spring-loaded Shutter Speed/ISO dial: the dial now lifts up and stays up when changing ISO (with welcomed clicks) and is pushed back down to change shutter speed.
Though it loses the physical Selector dial and its three customizable function buttons, these are replaced by virtual UP-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT swipes on the touch-sensitive LCD, with functions assignable to each of the swipe.
It’s great that Fujifilm engineers were able to add weather resistance to the X100V body, but it’s unfortunate that they stopped short of making the lens also weather resistant. Since the lens was being redesigned, it would have made complete sense to do so. But, hey, we’ll take the body weather resistance as an unexpected bonus. (And if you do need to protect the lens against the elements, you can purchase the optional AR-X100 adapter ring and the PRF-49 protection filter.)
There are so many practical and useful improvements in the Fujifilm X100V that make it such a versatile all-rounder premium compact camera. If you are looking for a compact camera that shoots great pictures, but still not sure whether you should get the X100V, go try one. If you are not immediately convinced by its good looks and premium construction, feel and handling, then its top class performance will surely win you over.
Though I am myself partial to the silver model, you can also have an unobstrusive all-black model.
Please support this site. Pre-Order / Buy the Fujifilm X100V and Accessories from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):
- Fujifilm X100V (Silver)Camera and Accessories
- Fujifilm X100V (Black) Camera and Accessories
- Fujifilm AR-X100 Adapter Ring (Silver) and Accessories
- Fujifilm AR-X100 Adapter Ring (Black) and Accessories
- Fujifilm wide conversion lens (WCL-X100 II) – Silver and Accessories
- Fujifilm wide conversion lens (WCL-X100 II) – Black and Accessories