This is an update to the previous blog, Sigma sd Quattro and sd Quattro H Mirrorless Cameras with APS-C and APS-H Foveon Sensors, Respectively.
Sigma recently announced the launch of the Sigma sd Quattro H, a new digital camera with the newly developed APS-H size Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor with 51-megapixel- equivalent resolution.
Some Key Highlights of the sd Quattro H
In addition to SIGMA’s original RAW format (X3F), DNG (Digital Negative) format is available.
- DNG is the RAW image data that is developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated.
- DNG file makes it possible to develop images on other softwares, which gives more choices of expression. The in-camera DNG RAW format is offered, allowing for RAW Processor compatibility with many of the most popular RAW Converters such as Lightroom, and CaptureOne.
*It is not possible to record the image data in DNG and JPEG simultaneously. In addition, the number of pixels to be recorded will change depending on the aspect ratio of shooting images.
*sd Quattro will also be compatible by future firmware update.
High-resolution electronic viewfinder
- The high-resolution 2.36 mega-dots electronic viewfinder features near-100% viewfinder coverage and a 0.96 magnification ratio.
- The viewfinder incorporates three lenses with the outermost lens specially coated to ensure a clear field of view.
- Using a switch next to the viewfinder, the user can toggle between displaying the image in the viewfinder and the monitor. In AUTO mode, the camera automatically switches to the viewfinder display when the user is looking through it and to the monitor when he or she is not. This mode allows seamless use of the viewfinder to take photographs and use of the monitor to access settings and confirm results. For extra convenience, many functions of the monitor are available via the electronic viewfinder itself, such as setting values, grid lines, electronic level, zoom, focus peaking and more.
- In addition to the 1.62 mega-dots 3.0 inch TFT LCD main monitor, the rear of the camera features a sub-monitor that displays the number of remaining shots on the SD card, shutter speed, aperture value, ISO level, and more.
- This extra monitor makes it easy to watch the live view and confirm key information at the same time.
DC Crop Mode
- The Sigma sd Quattro H incorporates an APS-H sized image sensor, and it automatically switches to DC Crop Mode, when DC lenses are attached.
- Also, it is possible to select On/Off of the DC Crop Mode manually. When a DG lens is mounted and the DC Crop Mode [On] is selected, the coverage of the LCD monitor and the view finder automatically becomes within APS-C size, which makes it easy determining the composition.
*If [On] is selected, the angle of view will be equivalent to 1.5 times longer than the focal length of the lens and the number of pixels to be recorded will be smaller.
Launch: December, 2016
SIGMA sd Quattro H
The SIGMA Corporation is pleased to announce the SIGMA sd Quattro H, a new high-image-quality digital camera that incorporates the Foveon X3 direct image sensor (generation name: “Quattro”).
The SIGMA sd Quattro H is the first camera to feature the newly developed APS-H size Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor with an incredible 51-megapixel- equivalent resolution. Featuring SIGMA’s SA mount, this new camera is compatible with all SIGMA GLOBAL VISION lenses in the Contemporary, Art and Sports lines, and is designed to take full advantage of these lenses’ superb optical performance. In addition, it is compatible with DNG format, and imaging software from other companies is also available for higher versatility. The DC Crop Mode, which is automatically activated when DC lenses are attached, makes it possible to take full advantage of your lens assets.
Along with the release of the SIGMA sd Quattro H, related software is planned to be updated, such as SIGMA Photo Pro 6.5 and SIGMA Capture Pro 1.3.
SIGMA Photo Pro 6.5 seeks for higher usability by utilizing the computer’s GPU for faster processing and an improved algorithm for Auto development along with a more user-friendly SFD Mode.
SIGMA Capture Pro 1.3 also offers enhanced usability since it is compatible with SFD Mode and Live View Mode.
Once these updates become available for download, the announcement will be made accordingly.
Launch: December, 2016
Please contact your nearest country representative regarding availability.
You can pre-order / buy the SIGMA sd Quattro H camera and accessories from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):