How are contemporary photographers responding to the ubiquity of digital photography? A new exhibition, set to open tonight at the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art in Toronto, takes up this question, arguing that young photographers are increasingly turning towards the material. By pulling from other media, they create works that are part photograph, part other—only part picture.
Organized as a part of the 2015 Scotiabank Contact Photography Festival, the exhibition was curated by New York–based Chris Wiley, who gives a brief introduction to the show in this preview video.
Call for Participation: CONTACT 2016 Open Exhibitions & Featured Exhibitions
Registration Deadlines: December 4, 2015 & November 16, 2015, Respectively
Want to get involved in the largest photography event in the world?
The Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival is a month-long celebration of the art and profession of photography in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
You are invited to be a part of CONTACT 2016 – the call for Featured Exhibition proposals and registration for Open Exhibitions are both open now. http://scotiabankcontactphoto.com/participate
- You can be a part of CONTACT, either as an Open Exhibition or a Featured Exhibition.
- Open Exhibitions are non-juried, while Featured Exhibitions are subject to a submission process.
- The proposal deadline for Featured Exhibitions is November 16, 2015 at 5pm.
- The registration deadline for Open Exhibitions is December 4, 2015 at 5pm . Registration can be completed online.
Submissions are not sought for CONTACT’s curated programming, including Primary Exhibitions, Public Installations and Special Events.
This part of the Festival provides you with a valuable opportunity to hold your own exhibition, and enables a platform for dialogue and engagement with the community throughout the month. It is a non-juried program—open to all, encouraging a variety of photographic practices and alternative venue options.
Benefits of registration include:
- Exhibition listing with 75-word description and one image reproduction in the CONTACT Festival magazine;
- One web page with up to three images on the Festival website;
- Press access to your downloadable image on the website;
- CONTACT venue signage;
- Copies of the CONTACT Festival Magazine
See an example of an Open Exhibition magazine page here (pdf).
A registration fee applies:
- Early Registration – available until November 6, 2015.
$400 + HST
- Regular Registration – takes effect November 7, 2015.
$465 + HST
The Featured Exhibitions category showcases high-calibre exhibitions and recognizes outstanding photo-based projects. These exhibitions are highlighted prominently in the Festival’s programming and communications, including the CONTACT magazine, website, and newsletter. The Featured Exhibitions benefit from promotion and coverage through CONTACT’s extensive public relations initiatives and draw significant attention to the artists and venues involved.
CONTACT welcomes submissions from emerging, mid-career, and established Canadian and international artists and curators. The call is open to proposals for solo or group exhibitions on any subject matter, and to all photo-based practices.
- To be eligible, shows must take place for a minimum of two weeks during the month of May 2016, and must have a confirmed exhibition space.
- See an example of a Featured Exhibition magazine page here (pdf).
- Before registering, all artists/exhibition organizers must find a venue in which to hold the exhibition.
- Open Exhibitions can be held in any type of venue, from conventional gallery spaces to unconventional venues such as community centres, cafés, or retail shops.
- For Featured Exhibitions, preference is given to exhibitions held in professional gallery spaces.
- There are opportunities for artists seeking venues to exhibit with one of the neighbourhood Business Improvement Area (BIA) groups that partner with the festival each year. The BIAs send out calls for submissions in autumn, and match up artists with venues. The 2016 Call for Submissions from the Junction BIA can be found at http://thejunctionbia.ca/contact-photography-festival-2016-call-for-submissions/ .
- If you are an artist seeking exhibition space, or if you have a venue and would like to participate in the Festival, please email info [at] scotiabankcontactphoto [dot] com. Though the Festival cannot guarantee it, we are occasionally able to make appropriate matches between artists and venues wishing to participate.
For more information on how to get involved, please take a look at their FAQ.
Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival
80 Spadina Avenue, Suite 205
Toronto, Ontario M5V 2J4
T 416 539 9595
Good Luck! / Bonne Chance!
“CONTACT fosters and celebrates the art and profession of photography with an annual Festival in May and year-round programming in the CONTACT Gallery.
CONTACT, a not-for-profit organization founded in 1997 and granted charitable status in 2011, is generously supported by Scotiabank, Nikon Canada, Pattison Outdoor Advertising, La Fondation Emmanuelle Gattuso, Vistek, Dentons Canada LLP, Toronto Image Works, Kronenbourg, The Gilder, Stratus Vineyards, Transcontinental PLM, 3M Canada, Waddington’s Auctioneers and Appraisers, Four By Eight Signs, Beyond Digital Imaging, Hotel Le Germain, The Gladstone Hotel, The Globe and Mail, NOW Magazine, and BlogTO.
CONTACT gratefully acknowledges the support of the Ontario Trillium Foundation, Ontario Cultural Attractions Fund, Celebrate Ontario, Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport, Ontario Arts Council, The Government of Ontario, Partners in Art, Street Art Toronto (StART), Canada Council for the Arts, the Hal Jackman Foundation, Istituto Italiano di Cultura, Goethe-Institut, the City of Toronto through the Toronto Arts Council, and all of our funders, donors, and programming partners.”