This is an update to the previous blog, Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2015 for Photographers: Submit Online Applications Between 15 January and 1 March 2015.
This year’s competition attracted a total of 1700 entries from photographers in 88 different countries, from which the shortlist of 70 finalists has now been selected.
Leica Oskar Barnack Public Award (third category): Vote To Win A Camera
The winner of this award will be determined from a shortlist of candidates selected by the jury in an online vote organized in collaboration with www.i-shot-it.com, a platform for photographic competitions.
- The photographer with the most votes will receive a cash prize of 2,500 Euros (2723.75 US Dollar at the current exchange rate).
Public voting started on April 1, 2015. Voting ends in 58 days.
Please take the time to look at all of the entries.…..Each entry is a set of 10 to 12 photos. Some entries contain nudity or scenes that some people may find disturbing.
- A prize draw for non-cash prizes of Leica compact cameras is also held for all those who participated in the vote.
- There will be 10 prizes for anyone who adds a vote (drawn by lottery).
- The 10 winning voters will receive a Leica C Camera worth $700. The ten voters who win a Leica C Camera will be drawn by lottery. You will have a choice of a dark red, or light gold camera.
- To have a chance of winning one of these cameras, all you need to do is sign in and vote. If you don’t have an I-SHOT-IT account it just takes a few seconds to create an account. Every I-SHOT-IT member will be able to add a maximum of 5 votes.
- The 10 winning voters will be notified by email.
Leica Oskar Barnack Award (main category) and Leica Oskar Barnack Newcomer Award (second category)
The Leica Oskar Barnack jury has selected 50 finalists of the Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2015 (main category) and the 20 finalists of the der Leica Oskar Barnack Newcomer Award 2015.
- Check them out at www.leica-oskar-barnack-award.com .
- This year, for the first time, the winner of the main category will be presented with a cash prize of 25,000 euros (27237.50 US Dollar at the current exchange rate) and Leica M-System equipment (a camera and lens) valued at an additional 10,000 euros (10895.00 US Dollar at the current exchange rate).
- The winner of the Newcomer Award will be honoured with a cash prize of 5,000 euros (5447.50 US Dollar at the current exchange rate) and a Leica rangefinder camera complete with a lens.
What makes the Leica M different from SLRs? Follow along with photographer Craig Semetko as he answers this question and explains how to use the Leica M, including techniques on focusing. For Craig, the benefits of the Leica M include its small, discreet nature and big, bright viewfinder that allows you to see more. Because of this, the Leica M demands more from the photographer. Watch this video and discover the capabilities of the Leica M. Learn more about the legendary Leica M here: http://bit.ly/LeicaMCamera #LeicaM .
Good Luck! / Bonne Chance!
Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2015: the finalists have been chosen
The outstanding portfolios of the 50 finalists of the Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2015 and the 20 finalists of the der Leica Oskar Barnack Newcomer Award 2015 can be viewed now at www.leica-oskar-barnack-award.com. This year’s competition attracted a total of 1700 entries from photographers in 88 different countries, from which the shortlist of 70 finalists has now been selected. This year, for the first time, the winner of the main category will be presented with a cash prize of 25,000 euros and Leica M-System equipment (a camera and lens) valued at an additional 10,000 euros. The winner of the Newcomer Award will be honoured with a cash prize of 5,000 euros and a Leica rangefinder camera complete with a lens.
The competition will again see the presentation of an audience award to the value of 2,500 euros. The winner of the audience award will be determined from the 70 finalists on the shortlist by an online vote on www.i-shot-it.com, the leading international website for photographic competitions. Voting started on 1 April, 2015. A prize draw for non-cash prizes of Leica compact cameras will also be held for all those who participated in the vote.
The announcement of this year’s winners of the Leica Oskar Barnack Award and the Leica Oskar Barnack Newcomer Award is scheduled to take place on 15 June, 2015. The awards will be presented in the course of the Rencontres Internationales de la Photographie photographic festival held in Arles, in the south of France, from 6 to 12 July 2015. A special issue of LFI Magazin presenting the winners and finalists and numerous illustrations of their work will be published to accompany the awards.
About Leica Camera
Leica Camera AG is an internationally operating, premium-segment manufacturer of cameras and sport optics products. The legendary status of the Leica brand is founded on a long tradition of excellence in the construction of lenses. And today, in combination with innovative technologies, Leica products continue to guarantee better pictures in all situations in the worlds of visualisation and perception. Leica Camera AG has its headquarters in Wetzlar, in the state of Hesse in Germany, and a second production site in Vila Nova de Famalicão, Portugal. The company operates branch offices in England, France, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland, South Korea, Italy, Australia and the USA. New and innovative products have been the driving force behind the company’s positive development in recent years.