Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival Date: May 1 – 31, 2015
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
CONTACT is accepting submissions from artists and photographers with a focus mainly on narrative, photo-based art practices, documentary, and photojournalism to participate in the 2015 Portfolio Reviews.
CONTACT Portfolio Reviews
Sunday May 3 & Monday May 4
10am – 5pm
The Gladstone Hotel, 2nd Floor
1214 Queen St W, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The portfolio reviews are for anyone who is serious about photography.
- It is not a requirement to be a professional who earns income from their practice, or to have studied visual art.
- Participants go through a selection process to ensure a high calibre of work is presented in the program.
The CONTACT Portfolio Reviews brings internationally renowned curators, art dealers, directors, publishers and photo editors together for two days to review the work of emerging and mid-career artists and photographers.
This year CONTACT will present a series of related events, such as lectures, workshops and a performance, that focus on the photobook and the publishing industry.
- This is an important program for artists and photographers with projects at advanced stages of development who are seeking opportunities for publishing and exhibiting–as well as for those looking for guidance on conceptual approaches or career development advice.
2015 Reviewers include:
- Bruno Ceschel, Self Publish, Be Happy, London;
- Joanne Junga Yang, Y&G Art, Seoul;
- Sophie Hackett, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto;
- Olivier Laurent, TIME LightBox, New York;
- Dewi Lewis, Dewi Lewis Publishing, London;
- Moritz Neumüller, PhotoIreland, Dublin;
- Susana Reisman & Claire Sykes, Circuit Gallery, Toronto;
- Bonnie Rubenstein, Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival, Toronto;
- Maarten Schilt, Schilt Publishing & Schilt Publishing Gallery, Amsterdam;
- Hannamari Shakya, Raw View Magazine, Helsinki;
- Jonathan Shaughnessy, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa
Submission Deadline April 20
- You will be notified about whether or not you have been selected for the program no later than April 21, at which time you will be able to request your preferred reviewers and make your payment: $200 for 4 reviews.
- The Portfolio Reviews are an opportunity to make important contacts and receive valuable feedback on your work.
- Take the time to research which reviewers will be interested in viewing your work.
- Be prepared to talk about your work coherently and have questions prepared for the reviewers to optimize your time with them.
- Participants are advised that this year’s reviewers would be least likely to be interested in still life, traditional nudes, or fashion photography.
- Contact especially encourage those that have published or exhibited work within the last two years and/or have formal education in art and/or photography from a post-secondary institution to apply.
- For full details of the program, and to register, please visit portfolios.scotiabankcontactphoto.com or inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Supported by Ontario Arts Council and Vistek. This program was created to support and advance the careers of talented artists and photographers.
Itinerary of Events:
- Festival Launch Party: Friday May 1, 7pm
Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art
- Exhibition Opening and Gallery Talk: Saturday May 2, 3 – 6pm
The CONTACT Gallery will present Dalston Anatomy by Lorenzo Vitturi. On view from May 2 – June 15, 2015.
- Portfolio Night & Reception: Monday May 4, 7pm
This evening is an opportunity for participants to mingle and share their work with reviewers, and peers in an informal open forum. Please note all participants wishing to be considered for the Portfolio Reviews Exhibition Award must attend to ensure the jury has seen your work.
- The Photobook – Publishing: Tuesday May 5, 6pm
An evening of lectures and informal discussions on publishing with reviewers including Hannamari Shakya from Photo Raw Magazine, and Dewi Lewis form Dewi Lewis Publishing.
Portfolio Reviews Exhibition Award
Established in 2010 this award, chosen by the international reviewers, recognizes outstanding work presented at CONTACT’s annual Portfolio Reviews.
To support and advance the careers of talented emerging photographers, one participant is awarded :
- a solo exhibition presented at the CONTACT Gallery in January 2016;
- a solo exhibition artist fee of $ 2185; and
- $2500 gift certificate from Toronto Image Works.
For information on the 2010 – 2014 exhibitions, please visit:
For more info, please contact:
Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival
205-80 Spadina Avenue
Toronto, Canada, M5V 2J4
Phone: 416 539 9595