- 20.3MP 1/2.3″ CMOS Sensor
- 24-960mm (35mm equiv) F3.3-6.9 40x Optical Zoom Lens
- Image Stabilization
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- 4K/30p Video
- Continuous Shooting 7.4fps/10fps
- 3.0-inch 180° Tilt LCD
QUICKFACT SHEETC ompact travel zoom cameras have come a long way and the Canon PowerShot SX740 HS puts a whopping 40x optical zoom into your pocket. That means you can not only shoot wide sweeping vistas but also zoom in close to get a close up of faraway subjects, including the moon. And with macro focusing down to 1 cm, there is practically nothing you cannot capture with this camera.
Anyone who has ever used a super zoom camera knows there are two very real challenges:
- The more you zoom in, the more camera shake will be a concern, so Canon has equipped the SX740 HS with a built-in Optical Image Stabilizer to help increase your rate of capturing sharp and steady pictures.
- When the zoom is fully extended, it is easy to lose sight of your subject. When that happens, press and hold the Zoom Framing Assist button and the camera will automatically zoom out to allow you to locate and reframe your subject. Then simply release the button and the lens automatically returns to its original zoom position while keeping the subject in focus.
Capture 4K videos at 30fps. A dedicated Time-lapse Movie mode allows for easy 4K time-lapse videos. You can even extract a cropped still images from your 4K video recordings.
Built-in Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth allow you to easily connect the camera and transfer pictures to a compatible smartphone or tablet using the free Canon Camera Connect app. Once your pictures are transferred to your device, you can then share them to various social media sites and web services — or even print them directly to compatible wireless Canon printers.
A 3.0-inch LCD rotates upward 180° to face forward and make taking selfies easy.
Full AUTO and PASM shooting modes give you as little or as much control as you want. There is only one Scene Mode: Food. You can apply filters: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, B/W, Sepia.
The 1/2.3″ sensor is much larger than the sensors in your smartphones so you can generally expect much better image quality than what your smartphone camera can capture. However, it is still quite a small sensor compared to those used in the premium point-and-shoot cameras (1″ sensor) or the mirrorless cameras (Micro Four Thirds, APS-C and Full-Frame sensors). Furthermore, with a relative small maximum aperture of F3.3, you should also not expect it to do well in low light situations (though it does not mean that you cannot take good long exposure night photos).
Whether your style of photography is landscape, street, macro, sports or wildlife, the Canon PowerShot SX740 HS puts an incredible amount of optical zoom power into a compact travel camera.
|Canon PowerShot SX740 HS AT A GLANCE|
|DISPLAY||3.0” 922k-dot Tilt LCD|
|VIDEO||4K (3840 x 2160) @ 29.97 fps|
|FOCUS||Auto: 0.4 in. (1cm) – infinity (W), 6.6 ft. (2.0m) – infinity (T)
Normal: 2.0 in. (5cm) – infinity (W), 6.6 ft. (2.0m) – infinity (T)
Macro: 0.4 in. – 1.6 ft. (1-50cm) (W)
|SHUTTER SPEED||15 – 1/3200 sec. (in all shooting modes)|
|CONTINUOUS SHOOTING||7.4FPS (Servo AF), 10FPS (One-Shot AF)|
|ISO||Auto: ISO 100-1600
P: ISO 100-3200
|DIMENSIONS (W x H x D)||110.1 x 63.8 x 39.9 MM / 4.33 x 2.51 x 1.57 in.|
|WEIGHT||299 G / 10.5 OZ (INCLUDING BATTERY AND MEMORY CARD)|
|PRICE||US $399.99 / CAD $499.99|
- Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Press Release
- Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Technical Specs
- Canon PowerShot SX740 HS User Manual
Please support this site. Pre-order / Buy the Canon PowerShot SX740 HS from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):