This video presents “Magnetic North Exhibition | May 17 – July 19, 2014 | TD Gallery.”
- Interpretations by artists, explorers and academics from TD Bank Group’s collection of contemporary Canadian art and Toronto Public Library’s special collections of Arctic art and artifact.
- With Pamela Meredith, Senior Art Curator, TD Bank Group.
Toronto Public Library and TD Bank Group
Magnetic North: The Enduring Pull of the Arctic Explored through Art
Continues Until July 19, 2014
TD Gallery, Main Level, Toronto Reference Library
789 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.;
Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.;
Sunday, 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
“Magnetic North examines the enduring pull of the Arctic, explored through art and artifact.”
Magnetic North features “interpretations of the elusive North” from TD Bank Group’s collection of contemporary Canadian art and Toronto Public Library’s Special Collections of Arctic art and artifact.
The exhibition includes the following highlights:
- From the library’s special collections:
- Septentrionalium terrarum descriptio, the first printed map of the North Pole, 1613.
- The illustrated Logbook of Samuel Smith, 1857, depicting the ship surgeon’s journey to the Arctic.
- Photographs, circa 1920, by Robert Joseph Flaherty of Inhabitants of the Sub-Arctic Part of Eastern Canada.
- Eskimaux and English vocabulary dictionary, 1850.
- Book illustrations from The Polar World by George Hartwig, 1881.
- From TD Bank’s collection of contemporary art:
- Tim Pitsiulak’s large-scale drawings of Migrating Walrus and Bowhead Whales, 2013.
- Sarah Anne Johnson’s Explosion Panorama, photograph, 2013.
- Christopher Wahl’s Rankin Inlet photo series, 2013.
- Pitseolak Qimirpik’s carving of Young Man with MP3, 2010.
Also, the related programming is as follows.
- Exhibit Tour With Pamela Meredith, Senior Curator, TD Bank Group: Wednesday June 18, 2 pm.
- Collecting Inuit Art with Patricia Feheley, Inuit Art Expert: Wednesday June 25, 2 pm Atrium, Toronto Reference Library.
- An illustrated presentation about collecting traditional and modern Inuit art.
- Tour the exhibition with Patricia Feheley following the talk.
- Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner: Thursday June 26, 1 pm Beeton Auditorium, Toronto Reference Library.
- Film directed by Norman Cohn Isuma and Zacharius Kunuk, 2001 (161 minutes).
- Tour the exhibition with Pamela Meredith, Senior Curator, TD Bank Group and curator of Magnetic North, following the film.