The flagship model of the PENTAX K digital SLR camera series offers high-quality images and user-friendly operation to satisfy the demands of advanced photographers
Mississauga, ON – September 20, 2010
PENTAX Canada Inc. is pleased to announce the introduction of the PENTAX K-5 digital SLR camera. The K-5 comes equipped with a host of advanced photographic tools for the easy creation of diversified visual expressions, while demonstrating much higher standards of image quality, data processing speed and operability than previous models.
Developed using the highly acclaimed PENTAX K-7 as its base, the K-5 inherits the exceptional reliability, user-friendly operation, array of advanced features and compact, lightweight body of its predecessor, yet is more resourceful and flexible in photographic expression. Coupling a new high-speed, low-noise CMOS image sensor with the high-performance PRIME II imaging engine, it produces super-high-resolution, rich-gradation digital images with approximately 16.28 effective megapixels resolution, even when shooting in the continuous mode at a maximum speed of approximately seven images per second. It also offers an extra-wide sensitivity range between ISO 80 and ISO 51200 (when expanded via a custom function) and Full HD-proportion movie recording at 1920 x 1080 pixels. With a much faster autofocusing speed, an upgraded HDR (High Dynamic Range) function that is now usable in handheld shooting, and better operability through an overall review of the design and shape of all components, the K-5 is designed to be more functional and maneuverable in every detail, and more capable of responding to the discriminating demands of advanced photographers.
The K-5 will be available in Canada October 2010.
1. High-resolution, low-noise, true-to-life image reproduction
The K-5 incorporates a newly designed CMOS image sensor with a wide image-sensitive area measuring 23.7mm by 15.7mm. It assures high-speed image data readout, much faster than that of previous sensors. By coupling this image sensor, equivalent in performance and data processing speed to the image sensor incorporated in the PENTAX 645D medium-format digital camera, with the reliable PRIME (PENTAX Real Image Engine) II imaging engine, the K-5 produces super-high-resolution, rich-gradation digital images with approximately 16.28 effective megapixels resolution, while suppressing annoying digital noise to a minimum. The K-5 also offers a wide sensitivity range between ISO 100 and ISO 12800. This range can be expanded by the user from ISO 80 to ISO 51200 via a custom function, to accommodate applications such as open-aperture shooting using a large-aperture lens, and indoor and nighttime shooting with only available light.
2. High-speed continuous shooting at approximately seven images per second
The K-5’s high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 22 images (in JPEG format), 8 images (in 14 bit RAW PEF or DNG format) in a single sequence at a maximum speed of approximately seven images per second, allowing the photographer to preserve sharp, crisp images of active, fast-moving subjects with great ease.
3. Responsive, high-precision AF system
The K-5 features a new-generation, wide-frame SAFOX IX+ autofocus system with 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle). This sophisticated AF system has completely redesigned optics and uses the light source in its calculations to improve the accuracy of autofocus operation. It also offers a choice of shutter-release options — between focus priority and release priority in the AF.S (single) advance mode, or between focus priority and speed priority in the AF.C (continuous) advance mode — allowing the photographer to choose the best option for their subject. The K-5 is also equipped with a spotbeam projector to assist the AF system in poorly lit locations.
4. Compact, solid, functional camera body
Despite its compact dimensions, the K-5 is built to be exceptionally solid and durable, with a body made of sturdy, yet lightweight magnesium alloy, and a chassis of highly rigid cold rolled stainless steel. Thanks to the inclusion of 77 special seals in the body, it also boasts a dustproof, weather-resistant and cold-resistant construction, assuring reliable operation, even in harsh environments and at temperatures as low as -10°C. It also features a reliable shutter unit that provides a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second and durability to withstand over 100,000 shutter releases.
5. Bright, clear optical viewfinder with 100% field of view
The K-5 features a pentaprism finder with nearly 100% field of view and at approximately 0.92-times magnification (with a 50mm F1.4 lens at infinity) to provide a better view of the image field and improve the accuracy and speed of focusing and image composition. It also comes with the renowned Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen to assist with manual-focus operation. The K-5’s bright, clear viewfinder assures greater visibility in outdoor shooting, especially when using a telephoto lens, allowing the photographer to better concentrate on the subject and image composition.
6. Effortless Live View shooting
Thanks to a new image sensor and a more sophisticated algorithm, the K-5’s Contrast AF mode assures better performance and greater focusing speed than before during Live View shooting.
With the addition of a Golden Section display, the K-5 offers a choice of three different grid patterns to facilitate image composition.
7. PENTAX-original SR mechanism with user-assisting options
The K-5 features the PENTAX-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates the adverse effect of camera shake by approximately 2.5 to 4 shutter steps, to produce sharp, blur-free images. This innovative mechanism works with almost all PENTAX interchangeable lenses — even those designed for film-format cameras.* Thanks to the SR mechanism’s flexible design, which tilts the image sensor unit in all directions, the K-5 offers several useful features to assist the photographer during shooting. These include an auto level compensation function to assure high-precision framing and effortless adjustment of horizontal alignment, and an image-composition fine-adjustment function to compensate for the camera’s position during tripod shooting — vertically, horizontally, and rotation of the image.
* Lenses compatible with this mechanism: PENTAX K-, KA-, KAF-, KAF2- and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mounted lenses (with an adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.
8. Recording of Full HD-proportion movies (1920 x 1080 pixels, 25 frames per second)
The K-5 captures beautiful, true-to-life movie clips in 16:9 Full HD proportions (1920 x 1080 pixels) at a frame rate of 25 frames per second.** This extends many of the benefits of high-quality SLR photography to the world of movie shooting. For instance, users can reduce the depth of field to make a subject stand out, or use different interchangeable lenses to create distinctive visual effects. The K-5 also provides greater possibilities in visual presentation in movies***, especially through the application of custom image styles and digital filters. Still images can be extracted from the movie in camera.
** Movie recording may be terminated when a memory card with low transfer rate is used in the K-5.
*** The number of frames may vary when in certain image processing modes..
9. Innovative image-processing functions to produce distinctive photographic expressions
(i) Custom image function for distinctive finishing touches
The K-5 features the custom image function, which allows the user to easily select the desired finishing touch for a particular image in order to faithfully express their creative intention. The K-5 offers a choice of nine custom image modes, including Bleach Bypass, which is designed to create a dramatic visual effect used in motion pictures. In addition to the conventional Sharpness and Fine Sharpness modes, the K-5 also offers a new Extra Sharpness mode, which is designed to place extra emphasis on the outline of even the most minute details of the images to enhance its resolution.
(ii) Versatile digital filter function
The K-5’s digital filter function allows the user to process recorded images in a variety of creative ways and produce highly individualized visual expressions without requiring a computer. The user not only has a choice of 18 different filters, including the newly added Sketch and Posterization, but can also apply different filters one after another to a single image to create more inventive visual effects.
(iii) Cross process mode with three options
The K-5 features the unique cross process mode, in which the camera automatically shifts photographic parameters for each exposure to create eye-catching images with unique, dramatic colours — just like pictures treated with the cross process**** in film photography. In addition to
Random, where the results are unpredictable until the image has been processed, the user also has two other options: Preset, with three different sets of preset parameters; and Favorite, with user-selected parameters.
**** A film development technique that uses unconventional film development to create a distinctive finish with dramatic, stylized colours.
(iv) HDR (High Dynamic Range) function
The K-5 features the HDR (high dynamic range) function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range from three images (normal exposure, +3 EV and -3 EV), without requiring a computer. It offers a choice of auto, standard and expanded (at three levels) modes to accommodate different creative effects. Thanks to the addition of an automatic composition correction function, the user can now take advantage of this creative tool even with handheld shooting.
(v) In Camera RAW processing to JPEG or TIFF format images
The K-5 features in-camera RAW processing to JPEG or TIFF-format images with full adjustment of image parameters such as custom picture style, white balance, sensitivity, high ISO noise reduction, lens distortion and colour space.
10. Other features
(1) Electronic level function, with a newly added dual axis capability
(2) Long-exposure NR (Noise Reduction) function, with a choice of Auto, On and Off modes
(3) High-sensitivity NR (Noise Reduction) function, with a camera-dependent Auto mode and user-adjustable reduction strength preset for each ISO setting
(4) RAW/Fx button, for single-action switching of image file format, as well as for assignment and instant recall of a specific function
(5) Large, easy-to-view 3.0-inch wide-view colour LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots
(6) 77-segment multi-pattern metering system using the colour of the light for extremely accurate light measurement
(7) DR II (Dust Removal II) mechanism, to shake dust off the CMOS image sensor as effectively as any other dust removal system coupled with the PENTAX exclusive DUST ALERT to check for dust on the sensor you can ensure dust free photography
(8) Long battery life, for approximately 980 images on one charge *****
(9) User-friendly Hyper control system, to accurately respond to the photographer’s creative intentions in both Program and Manual modes
(10) Dynamic-range expansion function, to compensate for both washed out (overexposed) and blocked up (underexposed) areas
(11) Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA-, D FA- and FA Limited-series lenses)
(12) CTE mode, to automatically adjust the white-balance level to emphasize primary colours of sunset scenes and other outdoor scenes
(13) Attachment of copyright credits on recorded images for both the copyright holder and photographer
(14) D-BG4 Battery Grip (optional accessory) for extra power supply with an exclusive rechargeable lithium-ion battery or six AA-size batteries using the two included battery holders
(15) Built-in retractable P-TTL flash with wireless flash control capability
(16) Unique PENTAX Sv and TAv exposure modes
(17) Colour-specific control buttons/dials for easy recognition and quick access, based on the universal colour design
(18) PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, including a RAW-data processing and browser application (based on the popular SILKYPIX RAW-data processing engine developed by Ichikawa Soft Laboratory) and a browser application
***** Under testing conditions prescribed by PENTAX, when using a rechargeable D-LI90 lithium-ion battery with no flash discharges.
PENTAX Canada Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of HOYA CORPORATION PENTAX Imaging Systems Division of Japan and maintains offices in Mississauga. PENTAX Canada Inc. markets digital SLR and compact cameras, lenses, sport optics, closed circuit television lenses and medical equipment.
PENTAX on the web at www.pentax.ca
- PENTAX, K-5, and smc PENTAX are trademarks of HOYA CORPORATION.
- PENTAX Digital Camera Utility and SDM are trademarks of HOYA CORPORATION.
- HDMI, the HDMI Logo and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC.
- All other brands or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice