PANASONIC ADDS NEW COMPACT, AA-BATTERY POWERED DIGITAL CAMERA TO ITS 2008 LUMIX LINE
New LUMIX LS80 Features User-Friendly Technologies to Help Digital Photographers of All Levels
MISSISSAUGA, ON (January 21, 2008) - Panasonic Canada today introduced its new LUMIX digital camera, the DMC-LS80. Complete with advanced yet easy-to-use features, this new model helps even the entry-level digital photographer take great photos. With a compact design and AA battery power, the LS80 offers convenience and increased usability. A newly developed LUMIX DC VARIO lens system, 3x optical zoom and 8.1-megapixel high resolution make the LS80 a feature-rich and user-friendly digital camera at an affordable price.
At the core of the DMC-LS80's easy-to-use operation is a comprehensive system of intelligent technologies that occur within the camera automatically, without any extra effort from the user. The Panasonic LUMIX LS80 integrates four distinct features that make it easy to capture perfect images:
- MEGA O.I.S. – Gyrosensors detect hand-shake and an Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.) lens system shifts to compensate, preventing hand-shake from creating a blurry image and instead providing a clear and crisp photo.
- Intelligent ISO – This system can determine if the photo subject is moving and change the ISO setting and shutter speed accordingly, resulting in a blur-free photo.
- Auto Macro – The LS80 automatically switches to the Macro setting when in close proximity to the photo subject, ideal for those extreme close-up shots.
- Quick AF – With the Quick AF (Auto Focus) system, the LS80 will focus on the photo subject without even pressing the shutter button, allowing the user to get the best shutter speed by minimizing the AF time.
“Building on the success of our 2007 line of LUMIX digital cameras, all our 2008 models will also include two advanced anti-blur technologies, Intelligent ISO and MEGA O.I.S., helping all our consumers – from the beginners to the advanced DSLR-users – take high-quality photos they are proud to share,” said Doug Borbath, Senior Product Manager, Panasonic Imaging Group.
“Because we’re committed to the idea that digital photography should be a fulfilling and enjoyable experience, our Panasonic LUMIX digital cameras offer intuitive features, like Auto Macro, that are seamlessly integrated into the photography process, so the user doesn’t need to change any settings.”
Another new intuitive technology of the LS80 is the Intelligent LCD, which automatically adjusts the brightness of the LCD as the ambient light level changes. With the Intelligent LCD – which comes with 230,000-dot high resolution – images are clear, bright and easy to see, regardless if it is day or night, indoors or out.
Other features of the DMC-LS80 include:
- Venus Engine III Processor: High-quality, high-performance image processing with the Venus Engine III. With its multi-task image processing capability, the Venus Engine III boasts outstanding response time. Shutter release time lag is as short as 0.005 second1. In the consecutive shooting mode, it is possible to shoot at 2.5 frames per second in full resolution2 and an incredible 5.5 shots per second in High-Speed Burst shooting mode3. Also, with unlimited consecutive shooting, the user can snap photos until the SD Memory Card is full4.
- High Definition Compatible: With the LUMIX LS80, consumers are able to take 1920x1080 pixel photos, ideal for viewing on wide-screen (16:9) High Definition televisions. The complete Panasonic VIERA line of Plasma HDTVs come equipped with an internal SD card slot, so viewing digital photos is as easy as taking the SD card out of the LS80 and inserting it into the front of the Panasonic VIERA Plasma.
- Video Recording: In addition to recording standard VGA (640 x 480), the DMC-LS80 can also record WVGA (848 x 480) motion pictures at 30 frames per second. Fitting a wide-screen HDTV perfectly, these wide-aspect motion images make for impressive viewing.
The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LS80 will be available in black and silver models in February 2008 for a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of CDN $169.99.
1 Not including the time for AF.
2 Maximum seven images in standard mode / four images in fine mode.
3 In 2-megapixel(4:3), 2.5-megapixel(3:2), 2-megapixel(16:9) recording
4 The speed of the consecutive shooting varies depending on the memory card. The number of recordable pictures depends on the memory card size, battery life, picture size and image compression.
Panasonic imaging products are marketed in Canada by Panasonic Canada Inc. (PCI). PCI is a principal Canadian subsidiary of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., (MEI) of Japan, one of the world’s largest producers of electronic and electric products for consumer, business, and industrial use. All prices are in Canadian dollars. Consumers seeking more information on the company’s products can call Panasonic’s Customer Care Centre at 1-800-561-5505 or access Panasonic’s home page at www.panasonic.ca.
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS80 Specs: US | CAN | UK | Lumix Site