PANASONIC CANADA UNVEILS VERSATILE LUMIX DIGITAL CAMERA WITH 18X OPTICAL ZOOM AND 28MM WIDE-ANGLE LEICA DC LENS
LUMIX DMC-FZ18, a High-Zoom Camera, Introduces
New Intelligent Auto Mode
MISSISSAUGA, ON (July 24, 2007)
- Panasonic Canada today expands its LUMIX family of digital still cameras with the introduction of the LUMIX DMC-FZ18, an 8.1 Megapixel compact camera with an impressive 18x optical zoom. In addition to a premium 28mm wide-angle LEICA DC lens, the DMC-FX18 joins the LUMIX DMC-FX33 and DMC-FX55 as the first Panasonic digital cameras to offer the revolutionary Intelligent Auto Mode, which include Face Detection, Intelligent Scene Selector and Continuous Auto-focus functions, allowing users to easily capture clear, professional-quality images in any situation.
When this powerful camera – with an optical zoom up to 18x – is put into Intelligent Auto Mode, the multi-faceted functions engage automatically, so there is no need to adjust settings every time conditions change. The DMC-FZ18’s intuitive Intelligent Auto Mode is comprised of:
- Intelligent Scene Selector – automatically selects the appropriate scene mode from the most frequently-used modes such as Portrait, Scenery, Macro, Night Scenery and Night Portrait.
- Face Detection System – helps the camera to focus, set auto exposure, and detects up to 15 human faces, capturing them clearly and brightly.
- Continuous Auto-focus – allows the camera to keep focus on the subject without having to press the shutter button halfway; and maximizes results out of a shutter chance by minimizing the auto-focus time.
“The Intelligent Auto Mode in the DMC-FZ18 does all the work for you, making photography trouble-free,” said Doug Borbath, Senior Product Manager, Panasonic Imaging Group. “When taking into account the camera’s 18x optical zoom, which is among the industry’s longest zooms, and then adding 8.1 Megapixels, a 28mm wide-angle lens, MEGA Optical Image Stabilization, and Intelligent Auto Mode, the DMC-FZ18 delivers professional-level photo quality in a powerful camera that’s packed with advanced features yet still easy to use.”
Similar to the entire 2007 line of LUMIX digital still cameras, the camera sports advanced countermeasures against blurring – the Intelligent Image Stabilization system, which combines MEGA Optical Image Stabilization (O.I.S.) to compensate for hand-shake and Intelligent ISO Control to detect and adjust for motion blur caused by subject movement.
The LUMIX DMC-FZ18 is also equipped with a 2.5-inch high resolution LCD with 207,000 pixels, a 0.44-inch Electric Viewfinder with 188,000 pixels, f/2.8 brightness and is powered by the high-quality, high-performance Venus Engine III, which boasts shooting at ISO 1600 in normal recording mode.
The DMC-FZ18 has been redesigned to make the camera more stylish and easier to use. The auto focus, auto exposure lock, and Macro buttons are now independent, to allow quick and direct operation, while a metal-finished mode dial adds design strength and an enhanced rubber grip makes the camera easier to hold. The redesigned body also incorporates the joystick made popular by the DMC-FZ8 model, which enables a host of settings, such as manual focusing and exposure, to be done quickly and easily.
Other advanced features of the LUMIX DMC-FZ18 include:
- Custom Setting Mode that memorizes your frequent setting patterns, turned on by simply selecting this function on the mode dial.
- 1920 x 1080 pixel photos, ideal for viewing on a wide-screen HDTV.
- Six auto-focusing methods including: face detection, multi, three-point high-speed, one-point high-speed, one-point normal-speed, and spot. With the one-point auto-focus or spot auto-focus method, the auto-focusing area can be chosen from as many as 11 points with the joystick or cursor button.
- Advanced Scene Modes provide users more control over some frequently-used scene modes, including the choice of indoor and outdoor settings when the portrait or sports mode has been selected, as well as the choice of nature or architecture settings for the portrait mode.
- Bundled SILKYPIX Developer Studio 2.0SE software application for editing and developing images in the RAW file format.
- 27 MB of built-in memory: Perfect for backing up SDHC/SD Memory Card recording1.
- Extra Optical Zoom feature extends zoom power to 28.7x at 3 Megapixels.
- Compatibility with large-capacity SDHC memory cards.
- Title Edit Function allows inputting of text and additional picture information.
- Picture Playback by category: Sort images into categories such as portraits, landscapes, nightscapes, events and motion pictures. Also, allows slideshow image playback in the same category.
- Optional accessories including a tele-conversion lens, close-up lens, ND filter, MC protector, lens adaptor, AC adaptor, battery pack, and soft case.
- Available in two colours: titanium and black.
- The LUMIX DMC-FZ18 will be available in September 2007 for a manufacturer’s suggested price of CDN $549.99 [US $399.95].
Panasonic imaging products are marketed in Canada by Panasonic Canada Inc. (PCI). PCI is a principal Canadian subsidiary of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., (MEI) of Japan, one of the world’s largest producers of electronic and electric products for consumer, business, and industrial use. All prices are in Canadian dollars. Consumers seeking more information on the company’s products can call Panasonic’s Customer Care Centre at 1-800-561-5505 or access Panasonic’s home page at www.panasonic.ca.
1 MB = 1 million bytes. Usable capacity will be less.
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Specs: US | CAN