FUJIFILM UNVEILS ITS MOST ADVANCED DSLR ALTERNATIVE MODEL TO DATE: THE FINEPIX S100FS DIGITAL CAMERA
Advanced Model Offers DSLR Control and Functionality
Mississauga, ON, January 24, 2008
- FUJIFILM Canada Inc. today unveiled an alternative to traditional DSLRs , the new FinePix S100FS (Film Simulation) digital camera. The FinePix S100FS is FUJIFILM’s most advanced DSLR-style camera to date and provides an all-in-one solution for photo enthusiasts and advanced amateur photographers seeking the manual controls and functionality of a Digital-SLR, without the hassle and expense of additional lenses.
The FinePix S100FS is equipped with a 14.3x Fujinon manual zoom lens (28 to 400mm equivalent), FUJIFILM’s new eighth generation large 2/3-inch Super CCD sensor with 11 MegaPixels, third generation RP III processor, 2.5” tiltable LCD Screen and High ISO capabilities (up to ISO 6400 at 6MP and an incredible ISO 10,000 at 3MP). Photographers will appreciate the ease of use offered by FUJIFILM’s Improved Dual Image Stabilization which combines Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) and Picture Stabilization (High ISO Sensitivities), and FUJIFILM’s acclaimed Face Detection 2.0 Technology with Automatic Red Eye Removal, while enjoying a wide dynamic range of 100-400% typically exclusive to the highest-end D-SLR cameras, and film simulation modes that only FUJIFILM can provide. It also comes with a two year Canadian Manufacturer’s Warranty.
“This camera benefits from the culmination of FUJIFILM’s new eighth generation Super CCD and third generation RP (real photo) Processor Technology development,” said Greg Poole, VP, Imaging Division, FUJIFILM Canada Inc. “This powerful combination allows the S100FS, with its wide dynamic range, to capture the subtleties in colour, tone and detail to deliver perfect shot conditions every time. With the incredible wide angle to telephoto lens that this camera comes equipped with, the S100FS is an excellent alternative to a DSLR”
One-Of-A-Kind Lens Design for a One-Of-A-Kind Camera
Through a unique collaboration among FUJIFILM and Fujinon R&D engineers, the development team approached the design effort as a single project, creating the lens and CCD for express function as a single unit. This design allows the ultra-high precision Fujinon lens to achieve maximum resolution at all focal lengths (from 28mm to 400mm equivalent) and all aperture settings. Because of the composite body and lens structure, there is no penetration of dirt and dust onto the CCD unlike a traditional DSLR.
A Feature Set Borrowed From the S5-Pro
FUJIFILM’s engineers have incorporated some of the FinePix S5-Pro’s features that have been most appreciated by professional photographers, including film simulation modes and settings that expand the camera’s dynamic range. The FinePix S100FS has an extended dynamic range (100%, 200%, 400%) that is similar to that of negative film, thanks to the newly developed 2/3” 11.1 megapixel SuperCCD VIII “HR” and the new RP Processor III. This camera prevents overexposure and underexposure, regardless of whether the subject is a landscape or a portrait, and FUJIFILM’s unique Film Simulation modes (FS) allow photographers to select the ideal “film” mode for the scene with a choice of three modes that optimize for low-contrast (Soft), vibrant colours (Velvia), or general use (Provia). Only FUJIFILM has developed its camera technology from its photographic heritage in film which uniquely gives subtle changes in tone and colour reproduction to provide the photographer the widest technical range for the best creative expression possible.
Face Detection 2.0 with Automatic Red Eye Removal
The FUJIFILM FinePix S100FS features FUJIFILM’s proprietary Face Detection 2.0, featuring Automatic Red Eye Removal. This one-touch selectable mode enables cameras such as the FinePix S100FS to detect up to 10 human faces in a scene, correcting focus, exposure and white balance automatically as fast as 0.05 seconds to ensure that photos of human faces are clear and properly exposed, no matter where subjects are located within the frame. FUJIFILM’s Face Detection 2.0 has an advantage over the other face detection systems currently on the market because it can identify faces at extreme angles – even in full profile. The system allows for up to a 90° movement in either direction for profiles and up to 135° for leaning or lying down in either direction, for a total range of 270°.
The Automatic Red-Eye Removal feature works in conjunction with FUJIFILM’s Face Detection 2.0, automatically correcting red-eye directly after the shot is taken and then saving both the original image and the corrected file. The user can then perform a side-by-side picture comparison in playback mode and select the most pleasing image.
Other noteworthy features found on the FinePix S100FS include:
- NEW Dual Image Stabilization: The FinePix S100FS features FUJIFILM’s Improved Dual Image Stabilization Technology to ensure clean, sharp and blur-free images, even in low-light conditions. This combines Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) with FUJIFILM’s Picture Stabilization Technology (High ISO sensitivities), to reduce blur caused by subject movement, for the ultimate in Image Stabilization.
- Multi-Bracketing Function: The S100FS has three bracketing functions useful for high level photography: Film Simulation Bracketing, Dynamic Range Bracketing and AE Bracketing.
- High-Speed Shooting: Reliable high-speed performance is possible through FUJIFILM’s newly developed Super CCD VIII “HR” and the new image processor RP (real photo) III Processor. At 3-MegaPixels, a maximum of 50 continuous shots at seven frames per second is possible.
- Special Scene Modes: In addition to the Film Simulation Modes, the FinePix S100FS also has 14 Scene modes and 2 Custom modes to store your own customized settings.
- Image Formats: Capture images in both JPEG and RAW format.
- Movie Mode: Movie mode with sound at 30 frames per second in VGA quality, and zoom capable with manual zoom ring while in movie mode.
- xD/SD/SD-HC Compatible Slot: The FinePix S100FS features an “xD/SD Compatible Slot” which accepts not only FUJIFILM’s traditional xD-Picture Cards but also Secure Digital (SD) and SD-High Capacity/SD-HC cards too.
- 2.5 Inch Tiltable LCD Screen: The FinePix S100fs features a tilting 2.5” LCD that makes it easy to frame shots from a variety of shooting positions.
The FinePix S100FS will debut in April 2008 at a MSRP of CDN $799.99 and comes with a two-year Canadian Manufacturer’s Warranty.
About FUJIFILM Canada Inc.
FUJIFILM Canada Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of FUJIFILM Corporation of Tokyo, one of the world’s leading imaging and information product developers and manufacturers. FUJIFILM Canada is based in Mississauga, Ontario, with regional offices in Montreal and Vancouver. A leader in the development of technologies that provide the backbone for state-of-the-art imaging, graphic arts, photofinishing and recording media products, FUJIFILM Canada stands proud as a proven solutions provider. For more information, please visit www.fujifilm.ca.
- Fujifilm FinePix S100FS Canadian Press Release
FinePix S100FS US Press Release
- Fujifilm Digital Cameras