CANON CANADA ANNOUNCES ADDITIONS TO ITS AWARD-WINNING LINE OF POWERSHOT DIGITAL CAMERAS
Experience the First-Ever Touch Screen PowerShot Camera; Celebrate the Resurgence of the S-Series Digital Camera Line; Capture a Memorable Shot with the New High Sensitivity System
MISSISSAUGA, ON, August 19, 2009 – Canon Canada Inc., a leader in digital imaging, today announced six new PowerShot cameras offering diverse photographic options for users who have just begun their photographic journey or have been mastering their skills for many years. The new camera line-up delivers the unique features users want, with the superb image quality, ease-of-use and stylish design they have come to expect from Canon.
Whether it is a professional photographer looking for a smaller camera to tote along on assignment or a snap-happy sports fan heading to the big game, the new PowerShot digital cameras give users options for upgrading their shooting experience. All of the new cameras feature Optical Image Stabilization and use the DIGIC 4 Image Processor, the proprietary technology that accounts for the cameras’ higher performance levels, improved signal processing speeds and enhanced image quality. Smart AUTO technology can now track moving faces and 22 different shooting situations (up from 18 previously) by identifying the surroundings to help ensure proper lighting and focus, providing the confidence to deliver high-quality photos in virtually any situation, from group snapshots, to landscapes, to portraits and more.
Select new PowerShot models will have the ability to shoot 720p High-Definition (HD) video, utilize the PureColor System LCD and for the first time from Canon, a PowerShot Digital ELPH camera will have a touch screen user interface for easy navigation through images and menus.
The desire to capture a clear shot of a sunrise or sunset over a mountain range can be fulfilled by using powerful features such as the brand new 10.0-Megapixel High Sensitivity System found on two of the new higher-end PowerShot cameras, the PowerShot G11 and PowerShot S90. Proven to enhance image quality in low-light situations and reduce noise at high ISO speeds, the new High Sensitivity System which is combined with the DIGIC 4 image processor, results in a faster shutter speed to help reduce subject blur and camera shake in recorded images. When it’s not possible to use the flash at an event such as a wedding or a dance recital, this High Sensitivity System will help ensure images look great while making the user the envy of all in attendance.
“With the introduction of these new PowerShot cameras, consumers will have a wide array of choices when looking to upgrade and enhance their photography experience,” said Ian Macfarlane, Vice President and General Manager, Consumer Imaging Group at Canon Canada Inc. “Professional and entry-level users alike will now have the opportunity to choose the camera which best suits both their photographic and personal style at the same time.”
Canon PowerShot G11 Digital Camera
The PowerShot G-series has long been the flagship of the PowerShot line. The new Canon PowerShot
G11 Digital Camera further adds to the legacy of this award-winning series with its advanced features, variety of shooting modes and compatible EOS accessories which help to enhance one’s photographic creativity. Designed for those looking for a pocket-sized camera with SLR functionality, this new powerful camera is ideal for the consumer who is looking to capture beautiful landscapes and professional portraits by offering:
- A 10.0-Megapixel High Sensitivity System to capture images with a powerful 5x Optical Zoom lens with Optical Image Stabilization. Additionally, a 28mm (equivalent to 28-140 mm) wide-angle lens helps to get large groups into one shot at events such as a family reunion.
- A 7.1-centimetre vari-angle PureColor System LCD, new to the G-series, allowing for easier on-camera previewing and reviewing of images from nearly every angle, while still incorporating the optical viewfinder found on previous models.
- Easy access to heavily used functions with two mode dials for adjusting ISO and exposure compensation, and a full range of shooting and recording modes, including RAW + JPEG for ultimate creative control when editing images.
- A host of optional accessories, including Speedlite flashes, an underwater housing and a tele-converter lens to provide further photographic flexibility.
Scheduled to be available in October, the PowerShot G11 Digital Camera retails for an estimated price of CAD $599.99.
Canon PowerShot S90 Digital Camera
The PowerShot S90 is the camera photo enthusiasts have been waiting for to add to their photography arsenal. Borrowing its good looks from the PowerShot Digital ELPH line and its high-end functionality from the PowerShot G-series, this new camera has a High Sensitivity System sensor in addition to a 28mm wide-angle f/2.0 lens to help produce sharper images in low-light situations while the customizable control ring allows users to adjust shooting settings providing for further flexibility. For the professional photographer or advanced amateur interested in a versatile point and shoot camera, the PowerShot S90 provides a wealth of advanced technologies to capture those can’t-miss moments. Other features of this camera include:
- A 10.0-Megapixel High Sensitivity System with a 3.8x Optical Zoom and Optical Image Stabilization.
- A customizable control ring for easy access and operation of manual or other creative shooting settings.
- A large 7.6-centimetre PureColor System LCD for even greater true life colour reproduction.
- Full range of shooting and recording modes, including RAW + JPEG, for the ultimate in creative control when editing.
Scheduled to be available in October, the PowerShot S90 Digital Camera retails for an estimated price of CAD $529.99.
Canon PowerShot SX20 IS and SX120 IS Digital Cameras
When consumers are looking for a camera with a powerful zoom that is lightweight and easy-to-use, the PowerShot SX-series should be top-of-mind. Consumers can get a close-up shot without sitting in the front row and be assured images will be of superb quality. The latest additions to the SX-series are the PowerShot SX20 IS and PowerShot SX120 IS.
Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Digital Camera
- A 12.1-Megapixel sensor with a high-powered 20x wide-angle Optical Zoom lens and Optical Image Stabilizer to help reduce camera shake and achieve magnificent images whether up close or far away.
- The ability to shoot superb 720p (30 fps) HD video with HDMI output to share high-quality videos of memorable moments with family and friends.
- A 6.4-centimetre vari-angle PureColor System LCD allowing for easy on-camera viewing of images and menus at nearly every angle while also having a viewfinder.
- AA batteries for easy power-up and replacement.
Scheduled to be available in September, the PowerShot SX20 IS Digital Camera retails for an estimated price of CAD $499.99.
Canon PowerShot SX120 IS Digital Camera
- A 10.0-Megapixel sensor with a 10x Optical Zoom lens and Optical Image Stabilization helps to ensure images will be clear and how they were meant to be captured.
- A large 7.6-centimetre LCD allows for easy on-camera previewing and reviewing of menus and images.
- Easy Mode to make picture taking a snap! It gives you the peace of mind when shooting and simplifies camera operation.
- AA batteries for easy power-up and replacement.
Scheduled to be available in September, the PowerShot SX120 IS Digital Camera retails for an estimated price of CAD $299.99.
Canon PowerShot SD980 IS and SD940 IS Digital ELPH Cameras
Most noted for sleek, polished and stylish looks, the ELPH brand has evolved into a product that supremely reflects and expresses one’s personal style. Tiny and compact, these cameras are best known for easily slipping into a shirt or pants pocket, while maintaining their appeal as a fashion accessory. For the first time ever from Canon, a member of the ELPH family will have a 7.6-centimetre touch panel PureColor System LCD further enhancing its appeal and ease-of-use. With this new line of ELPH cameras, colour, style and personal reflection are still the hallmarks of the brand.
Canon PowerShot SD980 IS Digital ELPH Camera
- A large 7.6-centimetre touch panel PureColor System LCD with a cutting-edge interface for easy navigating through images and menus.
- 720p HD video shooting capabilities plus HDMI output connector for easy playback of video and photos on HDTV’s to share with friends and family.
- A 5x Optical Zoom lens with an ultra-wide 24mm lens, plus Optical Image Stabilization, great for vast landscapes and capturing a large group of friends at a red carpet event.
- The 12.1-Megapixel sensor to help ensure superb image quality.
- Four distinguished colours; silver, blue, purple and gold.
Scheduled to be available in September, the PowerShot SD980 IS Digital ELPH Camera retails for an estimated price of CAD $399.99.
Canon PowerShot SD940 IS Digital ELPH Camera
- A 12.1-Megapixel sensor, 28mm wide-angle lens with 4x Optical Zoom lens and Optical Image Stabilization offering versatility when shooting in the field.
- 720p HD movie shooting capabilities plus HDMI output connector for easy playback of video and photos on an HDTV.
- A large, crisp 6.9-centimetre PureColor System LCD with a wide viewing angle, great for sharing photos and video with friends.
- Timeless colours of muted metallics in blue, black, silver and brown to match any mood.
Scheduled to be available in September, the PowerShot SD940 IS Digital ELPH Camera retails for an estimated price of CAD $349.99.
About Canon Canada Inc.
Headquartered in Mississauga, Ontario, the company employs 1,400 people at its offices nation-wide, servicing the Canadian market from coast to coast. Innovation and cutting-edge technology have been essential ingredients in Canon’s success. Canon’s leadership in imaging, optical and document management technology and solutions is based in large part on the thousands of patents the company has secured throughout its history. For the 16th consecutive year, Canon Inc. is among the top three US patent recipients.
The company’s comprehensive product line includes networked multifunction devices; digital copiers (colour and black and white); printers, scanners, image filing systems and facsimile machines; calculators, digital camcorders, digital and analogue cameras and lenses; semiconductor, broadcast and other specialized industrial products.
Canon supports programs that help preserve and protect the environment. The company instituted the Clean Earth Campaign in 1990, which assists various environmental and recycling initiatives. The Campaign has also supported leading environmental organizations, such as World Wildlife Fund – Canada and the Canon Envirothon.
For more information, visit www.canon.ca
– Canon G11 Techical Specifications
– Canon S90 Technical Specifications
– Canon SX20 IS Technical Specifications
– Canon SX120 IS Technical Specifications
– Canon SD980 IS Technical Specifications
– Canon SD940 IS Technical Specifications
– The Canon SD940 IS is also known outside of North America as the Canon IXUS 120 IS
– Canon US Press Release