PANASONIC’S NEW LUMIX FP-SERIES DIGITAL CAMERAS FEATURE SLEEK DESIGN AND ULTRA-SLIM PROFILE FOR STYLE CONSCIOUS USERS
Panasonic LUMIX FP3 Digital Camera, Complete with Folded Optics Design, Features 3.0-inch Touch-Screen LCD and Ultra-Slim Profile for Easy Carrying
MISSISSAUGA, ON (January 7, 2010) – Panasonic Canada Inc. announced today three new LUMIX digital cameras to the 2010 ultra-slim FP-Series, the LUMIX DMC-FP3, FP2 and FP1. All three models have a 4x optical zoom with a folded optics design, creating a flat and stylish look to the front of the camera, and feature a newly-adopted lens cover that protects the lens and serves as the camera’s power switch.
The Panasonic LUMIX FP3 (14.1-megapixel) features an intuitive 3.0-inch touch-screen LCD for easy-to-use operation. This newly adopted technology provides an intuitive control thanks to a hybrid operation combined with the four major operation buttons. The touch-screen operation is fluid and smooth – whether in record or playback mode. While recording, once the frame is composed, users can simply touch the area they want focused before pressing the shutter button. In playback mode, users can drag the image across the screen with their finger to browse the collection of photos as though it is a page in a book.
While the LUMIX FP2 has 14.1-megapixels, and the LUMIX FP1 has 12.1-megapixels, both have a 2.7-inch 230,000-dot LCD. All three FP-Series models include Intelligent LCD, which detects the lighting condition and controls the brightness level of the LCD in 11 steps to offer a display with the most appropriate clarity in any situation.
“Panasonic’s new FP-Series models are designed to be sleek in appearance and easy-to-use – perfect for users looking for high-performance and high-style cameras,” said Doug Borbath, Senior Product Manager, Imaging, Panasonic Canada Inc. “Starting with how the camera is turned on – simply by sliding the lens cover – the FP-Series is innovative and uniquely designed. Plus our Intelligent Auto Mode and intuitive touch-screen make it easy for consumers to take High Definition-quality photos. We are confident the LUMIX FP3 will be a standout this year.”
Panasonic’s popular iA (intelligent auto) mode, a suite of technologies that engage automatically – with no setting changes needed by the user – makes it easy for anyone to take beautiful photos. The LUMIX FP3, FP2 and FP1 all include iA mode with the following technologies: MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilization) to help reduce blurry photos due to hand-shake; Intelligent ISO Control to help reduce blur when the subject is moving; Face Detection to ensure faces are captured in focus with appropriate exposure and red eyes are digitally corrected; and Intelligent Scene Selector which automatically selects the best option from six popular Scene modes: Macro, Portrait, Scenery, Night Portrait, Night Scenery and newly added Sunset. To make it even easier, the new FP-Series models feature a dedicated iA button which lets the user engage iA easily with a click of the button.
New to the FP-Series is High Definition (HD) video recording capability at 1280 x 720p at a smooth 30 fps, in addition to WVGA (848 x 480) and normal VGA (640 x 480). The FP-Series models are compatible with Windows® 7.1 Also, the new FP-Series models include the Venus Engine IV processing engine which supports a fast response time. The shutter release time lag is approximately 0.006 seconds for FP3 and FP2; and 0.007 second for the FP1. With fast shutter speeds, the Panasonic FP-Series makes it easy to capture sudden, spur-of-the-moment photo opportunities. All LUMIX FP-models also have a start-up time of just 0.97 seconds.
Other features of the 2010 FP-Series, the Panasonic LUMIX FP3, FP2, FP1, include:
- Quick Setting: Allows the users’ most frequently-used settings like O.I.S., consecutive shooting, Auto Focus Point, and White Balance to be easily accessed through the “Quick Menu” button. There’s no need to open several menu screens to adjust them – the user simply selects convenient icons displayed on the menu.
- Scene Modes: Variety of options like Baby, Pet and Sports lets the user set the mode and the camera does the rest. Users can also record the name/birthday of a child or pet and embed the information in the photo and have it printed if desired.
- Photo Frame: Puts attractive borders around the photo and when printed, the photos can look like postcards in picture frames.
- My Scene: Lets the user customize specific scene modes they like best so they can conveniently switch instantly to the mode.
- Macro Zoom: Pulls subjects even closer by using 3x digital zoom and captures even more dramatic close-ups.
- SDXC Computability: All three new models are compatible with (SD eXtended Capacity) Memory Cards, including Panasonic’s newly announced 64 GB2 SDXC Memory Card to enable high capacity content storage and fast data transfer speeds.
- Battery Life: All models can take up to 300 images on a single battery charge.3
The Panasonic LUMIX FP3, FP2, FP1 will all be available in the first quarter of 2010. All three models are built of solid, high-quality aluminum and the LUMIX FP3 will be available in black and navy; LUMIX FP2 in red and grey; and LUMIX FP1 in black, red, and grey. Pricing will be announced at a later date.
2 1 GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes. Usable capacity will be less. SDXC Memory Cards can only be used in SDXC host devices, which support the SDXC Memory Card.
3 Based on the CIPA standard.
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Panasonic and LUMIX are registered trademarks of Panasonic Corporation. All other trademarks are property of the respective owners.
Panasonic products are marketed in Canada by Panasonic Canada Inc. (PCI). PCI is an affiliate of Panasonic Corporation (PC) of Japan, one of the world’s largest producers of electronic and electric products for consumer, business, and industrial use. Consumers seeking more information on the company’s products can call Panasonic’s Customer Care Centre at 1-800-561-5505 or access Panasonic’s home page at www.panasonic.ca.