McAfee LiveSafe Service: First Unlimited Cross-Device Security Service Uses Facial & Voice Recognition Technology
McAfee today announced the release of McAfee LiveSafe service, the first unlimited cross-device security service to use cutting-edge facial and voice recognition to protect users’ digital lives. Designed to protect users’ personal information and identities with industry-leading anti-theft, authentication, and facial and voice recognition technology, McAfee LiveSafe delivers a robust and comprehensive solution for all devices and uses.
Key features of McAfee LiveSafe include the following:
- Provides complete, unlimited device security for PCs, Macs, smartphones, and tablets
- Offers an intuitive cloud-based “safety deposit box” – Personal Locker – for users to stores their sensitive documents that can be accessed through biometric authentication using voice, face, and device recognition technologies
- Offers simplified password management to securely store usernames and passwords
- Protects users’ personal information with locate, lock and wipe capabilities
- Offers McAfee customer support FREE of charge
Also released today are the results of a recent global survey conducted by McAfee to study consumers’ online surfing habits as well as assess their attitudes towards Web security and data protection:
- 34 per cent of Canadian households own five or more Internet-enabled devices
- 51 per cent of Canadian consumers spend at least 15 hours a week (two hours a day) using their devices for personal reasons, contributing to an increased risk of exposure to online threats
- Canadian consumers place a value of $32,000 on the digital assets stored on their devices
51 per cent of those assets are considered impossible to restore if lost and not backed up properly
McAfee and Intel Deliver New Model for Consumer Security
McAfee launches industry’s first unlimited cross-device security service with facial and voice recognition for consumer devices
MARKHAM, ON, May 14, 2013 – McAfee today announced McAfee® LiveSafeTM service, the first unlimited cross-device security service to use cutting-edge facial and voice recognition technology to protect users’ digital lives. Delivering on the joint vision with Intel to redefine the consumer security experience, McAfee LiveSafe enables consumers to connect with confidence by safeguarding users’ data, identity and all their devices. The service will be offered at a special introductory price of CDN $19.99 with the purchase of selected new PCs or tablets.
A recent global survey conducted by McAfee revealed that 34 per cent of Canadian households own five or more Internet-enabled devices, which contributes significantly to a user’s risk of exposure to online threats. McAfee LiveSafe service delivers a comprehensive approach to security, while providing consumers with a simple Web-based dashboard to centrally manage security on all of their PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets. To increase the level of consumer security, McAfee LiveSafe also includes a cloud-based “safety deposit box” called “McAfee Personal Locker” that uses facial and voice recognition to authenticate a user’s identity so that they can securely store sensitive personal information such as financial records, drivers licences and passports. It also allows users to easily and securely manage their passwords and automatically log into all their online accounts from any of their devices.
“Our digital lives have become more complex as we connect, share and store data though multiple devices,” said Mike DeCesare, president of McAfee. “Consumers deserve a convenient way to protect their identities no matter what type of device they use. The McAfee LiveSafe service delivers this through cutting-edge features combined with simplified security management and unprecedented data protection.”
According to the McAfee survey, 83 per cent of consumers in Canada and nearly 90 per cent around the world report owning more than one digital device. Fifty-five (55) per cent of Canadians have three or more devices. The survey also revealed that 51 per cent of Canadian consumers spend at least 15 hours a week, or two hours a day, using their devices for personal reasons. Canadian consumers put a high price tag on the digital assets stored within their devices, saying that they are worth more than $32,000, and 51 per cent of those assets are considered impossible to restore if lost and not backed up properly.
Consumers also cited that personal memories such as photos and video files are the most valuable of all their digital assets and that when it comes to security, identity theft is their top concern.
McAfee LiveSafe service brings the deepest protections available by taking advantage of technology in the latest Intel® processors. McAfee LiveSafe includes McAfee Anti-Theft, which utilizes Intel Anti-Theft Technology and is designed to protect consumers’ personal information and keep their PCs safe and secure in the event they are lost or stolen.
Also available through McAfee LiveSafe is an innovative application of Intel Identity Protection Technology (IPT), a tamper-resistant hardware authentication mechanism. By combining Intel IPT with facial and voice recognition, McAfee LiveSafe customers who use a 4th generation Intel CoreTM processor-based UltrabookTM device will be able to take advantage of this unique multi-factor authentication capability giving consumers a deeper level of trust and protection. Ultrabook device owners also will receive the added benefit of the McAfee Security Advisor service, providing immediate answers to all their security questions.
“The future of security has to manifest itself in a way that is a part of modern computing. Security can no longer persist as independent pieces of software but must be integrated into the overall mobile experience,” said Renée James, president of Intel. “McAfee LiveSafe represents the first of what will be a series of products from McAfee delivering not only a more robust security technology through the combination of software and hardware, but also deliver a comprehensive solution across all devices and uses.”
Key Features and Benefits
● Provides complete, unlimited device security for PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets against the latest viruses, malware and spam along with a host of other protections.
● An intuitive cloud-based “safety deposit box” – Personal Locker – allows users to store their most sensitive documents, including financial records, copies of IDs and passports, or anything else that is personal and private, in a convenient, safe online location. Users can access their documents through biometric authentication using voice, face and device recognition technologies.
● Simplified password management securely stores usernames and passwords, and allows users to log in with one click.
● Protects users’ personal information by allowing them to locate, lock and wipe devices in the event they are lost or stolen without compromising the privacy of the data.
● Provides users with instant answers to security, cybercrime and online threat-related questions.
● Award-winning McAfee customer support is available free of charge.
Pricing and Availability
Beginning in July 2013, McAfee LiveSafe service will be available through select retailers for $19.99 CDN for a 12-month subscription when purchased with a selected new PC or tablet, and $79.99 CDN for a 12-month subscription for consumers’ existing PCs and tablets. McAfee LiveSafe will come pre-installed on Ultrabook™ devices and PCs from Dell starting on June 9, 2013. For more information on McAfee LiveSafe service, please visit www.mcafee.com/ca/livesafe.
● Infographic: Digital Assets Survey 2013
● Infographic: Password Safety http://sawebdev.ca/mcafee/Password_Safety_2013/
● Press release: McAfee Mobile Study Documents Sophistication and Ubiquity of Risky Apps, February 2013 http://www.mcafee.com/us/about/news/2013/q1/20130219-01.aspx
● Infographic: Canadian Online/Mobile Surfing Habits and Concerns, October 2012
McAfee, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC), empowers businesses, the public sector and home users to safely experience the benefits of the Internet. The company delivers proactive and proven security solutions and services for systems, networks, and mobile devices around the world. With its Security Connected strategy, innovative approach to hardware-enhanced security, and unique Global Threat Intelligence network, McAfee is relentlessly focused on keeping its customers safe. http://www.mcafee.com.
McAfee Canada is headquartered in Markham, Ontario, with regional offices across Canada. The company’s Consumer Software Research and Development facility is based in Waterloo, Ontario.
Note: McAfee is a registered trademark of McAfee, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Have some thoughts about this article you'd like to share with us? Let us know in the comments.