Leica Camera AG invites professional photographers and prospective professional photographers not older than 25 year to enter the Leica Oskar Barnack Award and the Leica Oskar Barnack Award Newcomer, respectively.
- The competition is not limited to photos taken with Leica cameras. The camera system used is not a criterion.
- Only one submission per participant is permitted.
- The “Leica Oskar Barnack Award Newcomer” is addressed to all prospective professional photographers who are not older than 25 years
- Both awards are going to be awarded to professional photographers by an international jury.
An international jury awards the Leica Oskar Barnack Award to professional photographers whose unerring powers of observation capture and express the relationship between man and pthe environment in the most graphic form in a sequence of a minimum of 10 up to a maximum of 12 images.
Entry submissions must be a self-contained series of images in which the photographer perceives and documents the interaction between man and the environment with acute vision and contemporary visual style – creative, groundbreaking and innovative. Only one entry per photographer is accepted.
- The winner of the main category “Leica Oskar Barnack Award” receives a cash prize of 25,000 Euros (26,664.12 US Dollar at the current exchange rate) and in addition a Leica M camera and a lens worth 10,000 Euros (10,665.65 US Dollar at the current exchange rate).
- The winner in the category “Leica Oskar Barnack Award Newcomer” receives a cash prize of 10,000 Euros and a Leica M camera and lens worth 10,000 Euros.
- In addition to these two categories, ten finalists will be awarded each with a cash prize of 2,500 Euro (2,666.41 US Dollar at the current exchange rate) for their series.
- All entries must be made via the online Application Form before April 10, 2017.
- To take part, participants must send in a series of photographs taken in 2016/2017 or long-term projects containing at least one photo from 2016/2017.
- Only one entry per photographer is accepted
….ONLY for applicants reaching the final round of the twelve best submissions:
- I irrevocably agree that in connection with the competition for the “Leica Oskar Barnack Award” and “Oskar Barnack Award Newcomer” and/or the exhibitions planned afterwards, including marketing and press material related thereto, either my (i) first and last name, or (ii) pseudonym (artist’s name) may be stated,
- by request of Leica Camera AG, I will submit the photos in high resolution for the purpose of ensuring best reproduction quality (e.g. prints for the exhibitions) and highest image quality for the platform on which they are being featured (e.g. competition website).
6. Granting of rights
(1) In the event that I reach the final round of the twelve best submissions, and in the event that I am awarded the “Leica Oskar Barnack Award / Award Newcomer”, I hereby authorize Leica Camera AG and third parties appointed by Leica Camera AG, unlimited as to time, territory and content, irrevocably and also royalty-free,
- to use my photos for press, marketing and communication purposes in connection with the competition for the “Leica Oskar Barnack Award / Award Newcomer” and the exhibitions planned afterwards,
- to use, display or project my photos in the context of the Leica Oskar Barnack Award / Award Newcomer (e.g. in Leica Galleries, Leica Stores, at photo festivals, etc.) and the exhibitions planned afterwards,
- to create the projection and to subsequently show the projection in the context of the “Leica Oskar Barnack Award / Award Newcomer” and the exhibitions planned afterwards worldwide, either through Leica Camera AG or through third parties (e.g. in Leica Galleries, Leica Stores, at photo festivals, etc.), also on the Internet,
- to publish my photos in the magazine Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2017, specifying the competition,
- to produce my photos (in accordance with Leica Camera AG I may produce them myself) and curate them for an exhibition,
- to display my photos, or to have them displayed, within the scope of exhibitions, specifying the competition,
Provided that, in each case, credit is given by stating either (i) my first and last name, or, if upon my explicit request, (ii) my pseudonym (artist’s name).
(2) Further, provided that I reach the final round of the twelve best submissions, I agree that the produced set of images (e.g. prints, edited photos) will pass to the ownership of Leica Camera AG and thereby become part of the historical Leica archive dedicated to the culture of photography. Leica Camera AG is not allowed to sell these photos.
7. Data Protection
(1) Leica Camera AG collects, processes, uses and stores the data stated by the participants upon submission of the photo series for the duration of the competition, for implementing and managing the competition. Neither Leica Camera AG nor any third party will use such data for any further purposes without express consent of the participants.
(2) The participants are free to delete their data until submission phase closes April 10th, 2017, by withdrawal on firstname.lastname@example.org, thus withdrawing from the participation in the competition….
(1) Any recourse to courts of law is excluded.
(2) The laws of the Federal Republic of Germany are exclusively applicable….
For more info, the complete contest rules as well as the online application, please visit http://www.leica-oskar-barnack-award.com/en/.
Good Luck! / Bonne chance!
Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2017: Beginning of the Submission Phase and Announcement of the Members of the International Jury
The Leica Oskar Barnack Award, the long-established competition for photographers from around the world, now enters the next round. From 1 March to 10 April 2017, professional photographers and up-and-coming photographers aged up to 25 can submit their entries to the prestigious photographic competition staged by Leica Camera AG. From 1 March 2017, entry forms and the terms and conditions of entry will be available from the competition website at www.leica-oskar-barnack-award.com. To take part, entrants must submit a self-contained series of between ten and a maximum of twelve images in which the photographer perceives and documents the interaction between people and their environment in creative and groundbreaking style. Eligible for submission are series of photographs captured in 2016 and 2017 or work from long-term projects including at least some photographs made in this period.
As in the past an international jury of experts will choose the twelve finalists for the ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award’ and the ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award Newcomer’ from all the entries received. This year’s jury members are:
Karin Rehn-Kaufmann, Art Director & Chief Representative Leica Galleries International (Salzburg, Austria)
Michelle Dunn Marsh, Executive Director, Photographic Center Northwest; Publisher, Minor Matters Books (Seattle, USA)
Christian Pohlert, Managing Picture Editor, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (Frankfurt, Germany)
Douglas So, Founder and Director of F11 Foto Museum (Hong Kong, China)
Scarlett Coten, Photographer and Winner of the Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2016 (Paris, France)
As in the previous year, the winners in both categories and the ten other finalists of the Leica Oskar Barnack Award competition will be honoured in the course of a gala event and their work will be presented at a major, six-week exhibition in Berlin.
The shortlist of the best entries for this year’s Leica Oskar Barnack Award will be presented in June 2017. With prizes amounting to a total cash value of 80,000 euros, the ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award’ is one of the segment’s most prestigious photographic competitions. The winner in the main category will be honoured with a cash prize of 25,000 euros and Leica M-System equipment (a camera and lens) valued at an additional 10,000 euros. The winner of the Newcomer Award will be honoured with a cash prize of 10,000 euros and will also receive a Leica rangefinder camera and lens. In addition to the two main categories, ten further submissions to the competition will each be honoured with prizes of 2,500 euros.
The portfolios entered by all finalists will be shown on the www.leica-oskar-barnack-award.com website and in the magazine published specially for the competition.
About Leica Camera
Leica Camera AG is an internationally operating, premium-segment manufacturer of cameras and sport optics products. The legendary status of the Leica brand is founded on a long tradition of excellence in the construction of lenses. And today, in combination with innovative technologies, Leica products continue to guarantee better pictures in all situations in the worlds of visualisation and perception. Leica Camera AG has its headquarters in Wetzlar, in the state of Hesse in Germany, and a second production site in Vila Nova de Famalicão, Portugal. The company operates branch offices in Australia, China, England, France, Italy, Japan, Switzerland, Singapore, South Korea and the USA. New and innovative products have been the driving force behind the company’s positive development in recent years.
Please support this site. Buy the Leica M Cameras from our Trusted Sponsor B&H Photo-Video, the Professional’s Source, satisfying millions of customers for over 35 years (prices are in USD):