are here: Home
Digital Camera Reviews > Fujifilm FinePix
Fujifilm FinePix S9100 Review
Date: Feb 27, 2007
- Advanced Amateur
Fujifilm FinePix S9100 Review is based on a production
model. All sample images are unretouched, except
review has been submitted to DIWA
The Fujifilm FinePix S9100 is, for all
practical purposes, a FinePix S9000 with a larger
2.0-in. LCD monitor. It features a 6th Generation
SuperCCD HR image sensor with low-light capability.
With 10.7x optical zoom and 9MP resolution, the
Fujifilm S9100 provides very good image quality
(though not approaching the exceptional low noise
capability of the FinePix F30). Noise is low at
ISO 80, 100, 200 and 400. ISO 800 is usable, and
a high ISO 1600 allows you to get the shot where
otherwise you may not be able to depending on
the amount of light present. Currently no other
long zoom prosumer digital camera can match this
low noise high ISO capability.
The Fujifilm S9100 is fast with a startup of
less than 1 sec. and there is no practical shutter
Like the S9000 before it, the Fujifilm FinePix
S9100 retains the tried-and-proven DSLR-like
camera body design and handling. It looks very
professional in its black body with silver accents,
handles comfortably, and is full featured.
What I like about the Fujifilm S9100:
- Very good image quality (though prone to purple
- Excellent low-light capability: Low noise
from ISO 100 to 400. ISO 800 is usable. ISO
1600 is bonus.
- Wide-angle 10.7x optical zoom lens (28-300mm,
35mm equivalent) with excellent manual Zoom
- Manual Focus Ring with One-Touch AF makes
manual focusing much easier than using arrow
- High resolution 2.0-in. LCD gains up slightly
- LCD swivels up and down.
- Programmed AE mode with Program Shift.
- Area AF with 49 positions for easy off-center
- Accepts external flash units.
- Excellent handling and grip.
- Intuitive controls and menus.
- Full exposure flexibility.
- Accepts xD-Picture Card and CF cards.
- Availability of optional Wide Conversion Lens
WL-FXS6 (0.8x, 35mm equivalent 22mm). Lens is
threaded to accept filters.
- An advanced photographer's digital camera.
- Image Stabilization. For a long zoom digital
camera, this is invaluable at the long focal
lengths if you are going to hand hold the camera.
- Avalability of ISO AUTO 400 in PASM modes
(like in the FinePix F30).
- Needs more internal memory for better Continuous
Shooting performance and to permit Continuous
- Exposure that meters at selected AF point.
- An LCD monitor that gains up even more in
- Sepia color option.
See if you fit the Fujifilm FinePix S9100
User Profile below:
||Desire a quality 9MP resolution
prosumer digital camera with very good
||Want improved low-light
||Want a long zoom lens
(10.7x) with a wide-angle (28mm) coverage.
||Want a digital camera
that handles intuitively.
||Wants a camera with fast
||Want a digital camera
that is full featured.