|You are here: Home > Digital Camera Reviews > Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd
Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd Review
Date: Oct 22, 2007
Beginner to Serious Amateur
This Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd Review is based on a production model. All sample images are unretouched, except where specified.
Auto Sharpened In Adobe PhotoShop Elements 5.0
The Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd is Fujifilm's first ultra zoom digital camera with image stabilization. It has many of the features beginner
to serious amateur photographers could wish for:
very good to excellent image quality, a 18x
optical wide-angle zoom with an effective sensor-shift image stabilization, and flexible exposure control.
The new sensor-shift image stabilizer allows hand holding shots
at the long focal lengths and slower shutter speeds. The wide-angle makes this a great camera for landscape and large group shots.
There is full exposure flexibility, so if you
are a beginner, you can start with Auto, Scene
and Program AE exposure modes, then move on to
Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and full
Manual modes when you are ready to learn and explore.
Switching from mode to mode, and using the different
options available is intuitive.
The Fujifilm S8000fd has good performance for an ultra zoom. A large 2.5 in. LCD monitor makes focusing
and composition easy. Both the high-resolution EVF and LCD gain up very well in low-light situations. An AF-assist Lamp helps achieve
focus in low-light. The on-board flash is quite
good with a 8.8 m reach.
TheFujifilm FinePix S8000fd makes
a great digital camera for beginner
and serious amateur photographers.
What I like about the Fujifilm S8000fd:
- Very good to excellent image quality.
- Wide-angle 18x optical zoom lens (27-486mm,
- Effective sensor-shift Image Stabilizer.
- High resolution EVF and 2.5-in. LCD gain up very
well in low-light.
- Programmed AE mode with Program Shift.
- Availability of ISO AUTO 400, ISO AUTO 800 and ISO AUTO 1600.
- Area AF with 49 positions for easy off-center
- Excellent handling and grip.
- Intuitive controls and menus.
- Full exposure flexibility makes this digital
camera perfect for someone who wants to learn
and grow in digital photography.
- Excellent metering.
- Face Detection allows instant review to see if face (eyes) is in focus
- Faster performance.
- Longer shutter speeds.
- RAW file format.
- Quicker one button access to Area AF and exposure that meters at selected AF point.
- Better Manual Focus implementation.
- A tilting LCD for close-to-the-ground shooting.
I enjoyed using the Fujifilm S8000fd and loved the pictures it captured.
See if you fit the Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd
User Profile below:
||Desire a quality 8.0MP
resolution digital camera.
||Want a long zoom. Want a long
zoom. Want a long zoom. -- With wide-angle and Image Stabilization.
||Want features a beginner or
serious amateur photographer needs to learn,
experiment and grow in digital photography.
||Want more exposure flexibility
than provided by a point-and-shoot digital