are here: Home
Digital Camera Reviews > Fujifilm FinePix
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Review
Date: Jun 9, 2008
Category: Serious Amateur
Photoxels Editor's Choice 2008 - Super Zoom
This Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Review is based on a production
model. All sample images are unretouched, except
The Fujifilm FinePix S100fs is the "almost DSLR" Super Zoom. Not only does it handle and feel like a DSLR, it is also easy enough in point-and-shoot mode to obtain high quality images that are properly exposed and with pleasant colors.
Two brand new features help with that: Extended Dynamic Range bracketing takes 3 shots with one click to retain detail in highlights; and, Film Simulation bracketing takes 3 shots with one click to simulate the type of attractive colors that Fujifilm 35mm films are famous for.
The 14.3x optical zoom covers a wide-angle 28mm to tele 400mm (equiv.) in one compact lens. Perfect for those who do not fancy carrying extra lenses -- and no more missed shots because you had to stop to change lens. Performance is fast and image quality very good, especially at the low ISOs. Low noise performance at higher ISOs is also very good, thanks to the Super CCD HR VIII image sensor.
If you go back to our Fujifilm S9100 review, you'll notice that Fujifilm has implemented many of the items on our improvement wish list.
What I like about the Fujifilm S100fs:
- Very good image quality (though prone to purple
- Excellent low-light capability in a non-DSLR: Low noise
from ISO 100 to 400. ISO 800 is usable. ISO
1600 and 3200 are for small prints and for Web display. ISO 6400 and 10000 are bonus.
- Wide-angle 14.3x optical zoom lens (28-400mm,
35mm equivalent) with excellent manual Zoom
- Manual Focus Ring with One-Touch AF makes
manual focusing much easier than using arrow
- Lens is optically image stabilized.
- Avalability of ISO AUTO (400), AUTO (800) and AUTO (1600) in PASM modes.
- More internal memory means better Continuous
Shooting performance, including Continuous
- High resolution 2.5-in. LCD (230K dots) gains up in low-light.
- LCD swivels up and down for convenient waist-level, above head or close to the ground shooting.
- Programmed AE mode with Program Shift.
- Area AF with 49 positions for easy off-center
- Accepts external flash units.
- Excellent handling and grip.
- Intuitive controls and menus.
- Full exposure flexibility.
- Customized settings.
- Accepts xD-Picture Card and SD/SDHC cards.
- Lens is
threaded to accept filters.
- Remove CA (purple fringing) in-camera.
- Spot AF metering so exposure meters at selected AF point.
- Sepia color option.
- Index in Owner's Manual.
See if you fit the Fujifilm FinePix S100fs
User Profile below:
||Desire a quality 11MP resolution
prosumer digital camera with very good
||Want a camera that handles and operate like a DSLR, including manual Zoom Ring.
||Want improved low-light
||Want a long zoom lens
(14.3x) with a wide-angle (28mm) coverage.
||Want a digital camera
that handles intuitively.
||Wants a camera with fast
||Want a digital camera
that is full featured.