McAfee Mobile Innovations App’s Smart Perimeter is Available: Alerts Users of Theft or Loss of Mobile Devices
McAfee today announced the release of Smart Perimeter Beta as part of the new McAfee Mobile Innovations (MMI) app, which provides enhanced protection for consumers against loss or theft of mobile devices
- Smart Perimeter provides protection by creating a perimeter that allows devices to track each other and alerts the user immediately when their Android smartphone or tablet moves out of the pre-defined “safe perimeter”
- The McAfee Mobile Innovations app is a FREE application that is available today in the Google Play marketplace
This new McAfee app gives you access to innovative new security and productivity tools in beta that are being tested
Key features of new McAfee Mobile Innovations (MMI) app include the following:
- Smart Perimeter: Link the mobile devices together and you will be alerted when they are separated by more than 30ft
- Smart Perimeter will activate an alarm to let you quickly identify and recover your device
- Safe QR Code Reader: Ensures QR codes are safe for browsing and alerts users of malicious codes at point of scanning
- Data Vault: PIN protects private photos, videos and documents from prying eyes, locally on your device
The need for consumers to take advantage of powerful and comprehensive security software is illustrated by a recent global survey commissioned by McAfee to study consumers’ online surfing habits as well as assess their attitudes towards Web security and data protection.
Key findings from the survey include the following:
- Almost half (48 per cent) of Canadian consumers own a smartphone
- More than one out of four (26 per cent) own a tablet
- Eighty-seven (87) per cent of Canadians don’t protect their smartphones with comprehensive security
- Eighty-nine (89) per cent of Canadians don’t protect their tablets
This video presents “McAfee Smart Perimeter”:
- Prevent loss of your Android mobile devices by linking them together
- Get it for FREE as part of the McAfee Mobile Innovations app on Google Play
McAfee Launches Smart Perimeter Beta – First of Its Kind Security Feature to Alert Users If Their Devices Go Missing
Smart Perimeter feature links devices to alert users of theft or loss
MARKHAM, Ontario, June 11, 2013 – McAfee Canada today released Smart Perimeter as part of the new McAfee® Mobile Innovations (MMI) app, which provides enhanced protection for consumers against loss or theft of mobile devices. Smart Perimeter thwarts this activity by creating a perimeter that allows devices to track each other and alerts the user immediately when their Android smartphone or tablet moves out of the pre-defined “safe perimeter.”*
The Smart Perimeter feature, created jointly by Intel and McAfee, solves challenges associated with multi-device growth1. The McAfee Mobile Innovations app is a free application that is available today in the Google Play marketplace.
According to recent study commissioned by McAfee2, almost half (48 per cent) of Canadian consumers own a smartphone and more than one out of four (26 per cent) own a tablet. On average, Canadians have 2,584 digital files stored on at least one digital device. Despite that, 87 per cent of Canadians don’t protect their smartphones with comprehensive security, and 89 per cent don’t protect their tablets.
“The McAfee Mobile Innovations app will help us to obtain users’ input on device and Web security, as well as strengthen anti-theft and privacy measures to protect personal data,” said Lianne Caetano, director of consumer mobile product marketing at McAfee.
The suite of solutions in McAfee Mobile Innovations app addresses a variety of threats to users on mobile devices. Features include the following:
● Smart Perimeter – Prevents thefts or loss of consumer devices by creating a perimeter that can enable devices to track each other and alert the user immediately. By linking multiple devices together, users are alerted when they are separated by more than 30 feet via an alarm that will enable consumers to quickly identify and recover their devices.
● Safe QR Code Reader – Ensures QR codes are safe for browsing and alerts users of malicious codes at point of scanning.
● Data Vault – PIN protects private photos, videos and documents from prying eyes, locally on devices (Note: The app user will be prompted to download McAfee Mobile Security – to use the data vault feature, no purchase is required).
The McAfee Mobile Innovations features are currently in public beta in English and will allow users to test and provide feedback via email or community forum to the McAfee Mobile Security team in order to shape and enhance future versions of the app.
To learn more, please visit:
- Google Play page: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mcafee.mmi&feature=search_result#?t=W10
- Blog post: http://mcaf.ee/wnu2i
* Note: All of the devices need to be software compatible and have access to wireless networks. Runs on Android devices operating on version 4.0 and higher.
1 Source: Connected Intelligence Connected Home Report from The NPD Group, March 2013
2 Source: McAfee Digital Assets Study, May 2013
McAfee, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC), empowers businesses, the public sector and home users to safely experience the benefits of the Internet. The company delivers proactive and proven security solutions and services for systems, networks, and mobile devices around the world. With its Security Connected strategy, innovative approach to hardware-enhanced security, and unique Global Threat Intelligence network, McAfee is relentlessly focused on keeping its customers safe. http://www.mcafee.com.
McAfee Canada is headquartered in Markham, Ontario, with regional offices across Canada. The company’s Consumer Software Research and Development facility is based in Waterloo, Ontario.
Note: McAfee is a registered trademark of McAfee, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Have some thoughts about this article you'd like to share with us? Let us know in the comments.